Howdy, all!

Started by plainolddave, August 11, 2005, 12:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plainolddave

New to CAS, but not the fine old firearms that won the West. What I have had and have that would have worked for matches:

Marlin336RC, .30WCF (P16792, it was stolen over 10 years ago)
Winchester M94 Big Bore .356WCF (stolen at the same time)
Marlin 336CB .38-55 Marlin and Ballard
Marlin 39AS .22
Allen Firearms Cattleman .45x 5.5" (owned for 14 years)
Ruger Blackhawk .38-40/10mm (long gone)
1868, 1884 Springfields (gone too)
Ruger Vaquero Bisley .45x 5.5"
Navy Arms Schofield .45x6.5(?)"

Been thinking about this sport on and off for 12 years or so, put it on the back burner when they made the 'no rifle' rule. I have never liked pistol calibered long arms; IMHO they aren't rifles. A rifle is an arm that can smite whatever you shoot in visual range a deadly blow (1881 Marlin .45-70= rifle, 1889 Marlin .44-40=NOT a rifle) but there I go on my soapbox... ANYway, lookin'forward to picking up what I can about this hobby/sport before I go tote the .45s out to the 1st match.
RATS #209

Big John Denny

Welcome to the fire Plainolddave. You didn't mention a scattergun. You're going to need one of those eventually, as well as a pistol caliber rifle to really get into the sport. Those three 45's you mentioned would be fine. If you get to a shoot near you, I'm sure some pards there would loan you a rifle and SASS legal scattergun to use. Have fun
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

plainolddave

Quote from: Big John Denny on August 11, 2005, 12:40:27 AM
Welcome to the fire Plainolddave. You didn't mention a scattergun. You're going to need one of those eventually, as well as a pistol caliber rifle to really get into the sport. Those three 45's you mentioned would be fine. If you get to a shoot near you, I'm sure some pards there would loan you a rifle and SASS legal scattergun to use. Have fun

Sigh... If it's a longarm not chambered for a full-power rifle cartridge, it ain't a rifle. It's a Carbine. BUT, I am lookin' at a Marlin 1894CB in .45LC for the Carbine and also have a somewhat ratty LC Smith 16 gauge in the safe. I'm about as eat up with 16s as I am with .45 Long Colts. Might use the Bisley for the main gun and job the Schofield in the belt crossdraw...
RATS #209

Joyce (AnnieLee)

Howdy and welcome, Dave! Have you been to the Newbie FAQ area, yet? There's a lot of good information there.

I think the rule for shotguns is they can have extractors but not ejectors.

I shot the Marlin '94 in .45 my first year and loved it.

Also, if you love your Rugers and think Rugers Are the Toughest Sixguns, come on over to the RATS Forum and getchy a number!

Again, welcome!

:D

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Camille Eonich

How PlainOldDave.  Welcome to Cas City.  ;D
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Tascosa

Howdy Plainoledave. Welcome to the fire. Pull up a bed roll to set on and we'll pour ya a cup of java.
Tascosa
Ex-feedlot cowboy (ret)
Ex-cowboy (ret)
Ex-Sheriff's Sgt. (ret)
Ex-Chief of Police (ret)
BOLD 476

Badlands Walker

Welcome to the wild side pard.  Have fun & good shootin' to ya! 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com