How do you splice bullet loops?

Started by Springfield Slim, August 25, 2011, 03:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Springfield Slim

I have a customer that wants a 100 round bandoleer in 45 Colt. I don't have any bullet loops leather long enough to do it all in one piece, so how do you splice in new pieces without making the loop unusable?
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

rickk

It need not be 100 loops all connected together.

Over the shoulder and down near the waist you can make a break to allow for the bend... bringing it down to two loops of 50.

In fact, if you are punching the belt and lacing the loop strip thru it, I don't think you would want to do 100 in one strip. A bit of stretch would be compounded by 100x. Groups of 10 or some other divisible number would make your work much easier and make the belt work better.

Rick

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Slim, I spliced mine by skiving both sides and cementing, then lightly tapping them together to get a stronger bond, I also sewed mine, so I made sure I sewed right in the middle of the splice when sewing the loops to the belt, weaving would be even easier, but like Rick pointed out, it will most likely stretch much easier that way also, that's why for large amounts on a belt, I prefer sewing my loops on, but that's just me, hope this helps.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Springfield Slim

I'm sewing it, shoulda specified. So the skiving would have to be relatively long to sew through, I assume? 1/2" or so?
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Springfield Slim on August 25, 2011, 06:09:32 PM
I'm sewing it, shoulda specified. So the skiving would have to be relatively long to sew through, I assume? 1/2" or so?

Slim, a 1/2" is what I used, and it worked just fine, if you do your measuring right, you can be able to put your stitches dead center in the splice leaving just a little portion coming up on either side, but not showing where the splice is, you'll be happy you sewed.

tEN wOLVES ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com