Partnership with computer run 4/5 axis machine shop

Started by will ghormley, August 24, 2011, 03:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

will ghormley

Hey Folks,

My tool development isn't goin' anywhere because I don't have the technical ability to turn my tool proto-type and scale drawings into computer run router language and the 4/5 axis lathes to produce 'em.  It struck me the other day, if I could partner with someone who had a machine shop with computer run 4/5 axis lathes, I could get this project under way.

But, I don't know anyone with that type of machine shop.  It occurred to me the other day, maybe somebody on the forum had a machine shop with the technology I need, or knew of someone.  So, I'm tossin' it out there.  Anyone have, or know of, a machine shop that would be interested in goin' into a partnership to make tools for the leather crafting industry?

Let me know.  Thanks,
Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

Dalton Masterson

Will,
There is a guy here in town with a small setup at his home. He was doing miliitary contract parts on his machines. Not sure if he is still doing it though. He had a shop next to where I work, and then closed it up to move it all back home. I can check around and see.
I bet if he was making tank parts, he could make tools.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Slowhand Bob

If all else fails you might check with the guy who manufactures the cylinders for the Kirst Converter pistol cylinders.  He is a regular poster on the gun forums and goes by the name of Raven.  I think they recently took on a new machinist/gunsmith and extra work might be an interesting possibility for them right now?  Just a thought.

will ghormley

Great ideas guys.  Dalton, if you could toss the mil contract guy the idea, I'd appreciate it.

Will

Will Ghormley

Dalton Masterson

Will,
I asked around today. Seems he got out of the independent business, and started working for a company now.
There is a big machine shop here as well, but they are rather pricey and would probably not be interested.

I will still try to track Mr. Long down and see if he is still doing any on the side. How many pieces are you thinking, Will?
DM

SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

will ghormley

Hey Dalton,

The pieces depends on demand.  If Tandy picks up the patented tool I have, they order in initial lots of 2500 to stock their various warehouses, (at least for patterns).  They may make a larger initial purchase on a new tool, since you leather crafters are crazy about buyin' the newest, coolest, tool for your hobbies and businesses.  If Tandy passes on the tool, or decides to purchase the rights and produce 'em themselves in China, there would only be a handful by comparison.

However, if I can find someone with a machine shop who is willing to partner with me in production, there are other stamps and tools I'd like to produce, (all with longer handles than the current stamps).  If we can make 'em at a price that can be sold wholesale, Tandy might be interested in stamps as well.

It's all a gamble on what will sell well.  I've lost my shirt on more than one venture I've tried.  I know my patented tool will garner large initial sales if I have an outlet like Tandy.  I just don't have the cash to make the production proto-type, (the hand-made proto-type is solid silver and carved ivory, costing $400 in materials), or the equipment to mass produce 'em.  That's why I'm lookin' for someone who would want to partner-up and take the gamble.

I have a friend who wanted to financially back the project, but I didn't want to risk his money.  If a partner has the shop, they just risk their time and materials.  It is a lot easier to justify the risk, and the profit is more substantial if it works.

That's the way I'm lookin' at it.  I just need to find someone else who thinks the same way and has the know-how and equipment I don't have.  The rest will take care of itself.

Will

Will Ghormley

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

GunClick Rick

Check a patent company?Just no money down ones.My buddy did it with a weird bicycle he made,he paid them 10,000.00 they put it on a website that looks for patenting,the companies have a password to get to the site held by attornies,my buddy could not sale or even show the bicycle,the idea was to sale at least a few units to places like wal-mart and such,that was ten years ago,all he got was a 10,000.00 lesson. :(

Bunch a ole scudders!

Dalton Masterson

Will,
It looks like a no go on my side. He is done with that stuff, and has moved on to greener pastures....
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

will ghormley

Will Ghormley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com