SW Regional side matches

Started by Cole Bluesteele, August 22, 2011, 11:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cole Bluesteele

Rather than the typical "fastest this and fastest that" for side matches, we are doing something completely different.  We are going to have six side matches on Thursday afternoon.  Each will require the use of multiple firearms and props.  For example our Gambler side match will require a knife, derringer and pocket pistol.  Our Buffalo Hunter side match will again require a knife along with a big bore rifle and pistol.  You get the idea...these are NCOWS side matches based on personas not simply speed!

On Friday we will shoot the first five stages of the ten stage main match, break for a chuckwagon prepared lunch and return to the firing line for a team match.  The team will be a working cowboy and a sodbuster.  There will be two courses of fire and the team members will switch roles the second time through.  So each will get to shoot both the Working Cowboy and Sodbuster parts of the course.

Don't worry if you do not have a derringer, pocket pistol, shotgun etc. we'll have extras for your use.  Although it might help if you pack a box of shootgun ammo.

For registration info see www.bergersharpshooters.com
Hope to see you all there.
Ted

Tjackstephens

Great ideals!!  At a National a few years back I give the fastest this and that old west names. Hide out pistol, Stage coach guard, John Wesley Hardin 'Fastest Man alive". The Shootist.  Cut the card. You can come up with some good names for side matches. Sounds like you all have the right spirit. Wish I could be there. Have a good time. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

lethal larry

That sure is a different style of side match format. I do not think I've ever been to a match where the side matches were done in such a fashion. Reminds me a little of the Decathlon in the Olyimpics where you have to be good in a variety of events, not just in one. I hope folks like this innovative approach.
"Clinging to" my Wife, Guns, Bible, cats and goat... and proud of it!

Cole Bluesteele

Larry,  I have to wonder why you would be concerned about what NCOWS shooters would think about our proposed side matches.  After all you did not consider what the TTH NCOWS members thought about your voting to eliminate their venue from the TTH schedule.  So why worry about their opinions now?

Tascosa Joe

NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: Tjackstephens on August 22, 2011, 01:39:29 PM
Great ideals!!  At a National a few years back I give the fastest this and that old west names. Hide out pistol, Stage coach guard, John Wesley Hardin 'Fastest Man alive". The Shootist.  Cut the card. You can come up with some good names for side matches. Sounds like you all have the right spirit. Wish I could be there. Have a good time. Tj

Texas Jack,

Our goal is not just to "rename" SASS-based side matches.  We want to comletely change the goal of a side match.  Rather than see who is fastest with a derringer, we want to see who has the best set of skills for a particular old west persona.

Example:  "The Gambler" will need to use a knife, then load and shoot a derringer and a pocket pistol, then have to deal a hand from a deck of cards, all while sitting at a poker table.   I think NCOWS shooters are going to like this style of side matches.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Tascosa Joe

Can we trade the d----- derringer for anything a double barrel shot gun, half a glass of cheap whiskey, a dead horse anything.   ;D

T-Joe What hates derringers.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Books OToole

Pancho;

If you can, would you send me* the instructions for you Gambler sidematch?  I would like to incorporate it into the KVC Gambler match.

Books

* Send to deputyTatham@yahoo.com
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Tjackstephens

Pancho. Sounds great. Hope it goes over well. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Rowdy Fulcher

Howdy Pards
Texans you have a good plan , we (NCOWS ) are different , we like to shoot real loads . We don't see a need for the short strokes we like to enjoy the History and the Shooting .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com