Sewing bullet loops-- best type of foot for machine?

Started by GeorgiaWolf, August 17, 2011, 03:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgiaWolf

Howdy all,   I am having problems keeping a neat stitching line (at top and bottom)  when trying to sew my bullet loops. I'm using a Toro 3000 w/277 thread.   Best foot for this kind of work?   Wondering what machine & foot combo others are using.  Been practicing on scrap.  Thanks!!   ;D
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie? ....

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy GW, I wish I could help you on this, but I sew all my bullet loops by hand, I'm hoping our sewing machine authority will chime in here, which is Outrider, I'm sure he can point you in the right direction, if not we have several other top notch leather workers that can help on this too.

Regards

tEN wOLVES,  ;D and Welcome to our forum pard ;D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

TN Mongo

I like a single foot left or right on my Cobra 4, but Ten Wolves is right.  Outrider has got sewing bullet loops down to an art.

Boothill Bob

I use both left and right foot..... To kick the machine with, then I stitch by hand  ;)
Have problem with my machine  :(
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

GeorgiaWolf

;D ......  BootHill Bob...  I know what you mean, LOL.   

Thanks for the replies, guys. ....

Wolf

Trailrider

Actually I use a double foot (left and right prong) for .38 Special and larger loops, on my Juki TSC 441.  But I sorta cheat...  When laying out the belt, I use a pattern piece made of mat board, which is laid out using a compass/divider and square. I use an awl to mark the top and bottom stitch holes on the belt.  Most of my cartridge loops for metallic cartridges are 3/4" high (rimless bottlenecked cartridges have two rows of loops, the bottom one fits the neck of the cartridge).  I made up a tool with nails sticking out of the bottom, which are spaced the same as stitch length on the machine.  This is used to mark the loop strip where it will be sewn to the belt body.
I pre-drill the top and bottom marks on the belt with a #56 drill bit and use brass-coated steel #17 x 3/4" weatherstripping nails in about every tenth stitch row to keep the loop strip straight.  I position the marked line even with the top and bottom holes on the belt body, then lower the presser foot and the needle.  I've got a synchronous electronic motor on the machine, so I can do a single stitch easily.  Sometimes, however, I'll just pull the stitches through using the large hand/flywheel on the machine.

I stitch each row separately. I start at the first mark on the cartridge loop, stitch down to the bottom hole, then reverse and stitch back through the same holes up to the top hole on the belt, then sew down forward a couple of stitches.

I know this sounds pretty complicated, but it really isn't once you get the hang of it.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

GeorgiaWolf

Trailrider-   Thanks for the help!   I will make note of your suggestions and experiment. I like the idea of stitching each loop seperately-   the diagonal stitch line going to the next loop is where my problem arises- the stop and start point on the next loop is usually off.

outrider

Mornin all,

I use the right hand presser foot when doing bullet loops and use the continuing stitch method, however on occasion I have also done individual stitch lines as suggested by Trailrider...How long have you had you machine?  I takes some practice to be able to align each loop and get a good stitch line....lot's of scrap used to perfect the process... ;) :D  what also helps is to have the loop material damp so you can bend it back when you change sewing directions.  Review of the Bianchi DVD's on holster making will show you what I am talking about, however he uses a more plyable "calf skin" for his loops, but I use the same method as John does..
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

GeorgiaWolf

Outrider,  thanks for the info.  i neeed to get those DVDs.  I have had my machine for a couple years, but don't use it as much as my other one.  (Juki 241)    When I make a cartridge belt I have been doing the woven loops, so sewing the loops is new for me.  I ordered a right side foot, as I suspect that is alot of the problem-  I was trying to use the one that came with the Toro, it is more like a wide blanket-type foot.  Thanks a again everyone for your prompt replies!
GW

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com