Anyone else shoot right from the box

Started by Tascosa, August 10, 2005, 03:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tascosa

Howdy Ladies and Gents. Who else like me shoots their guns right from the box?
I have one 3rd gen. Colt, two Cimarrons, and a 92 Rossi all in .45 Colt. The Rossi had a smooth lever action right from the box and a crisp trigger pull. I love shootin' that weapon. My Colt is right from the box, although I too it out of the box 20 years ago and it has accompanied me on many pack trip to the mountains of NM, and always when I was checking cattle here in Texas. My two Cimarrons are great shooters right from the box. The only work I do is put faux ivory grips on them and shoot the daylights out of all my guns to smooth out the action.
All this talk about having gunsmiths work the action is making me t hink I'm missing something 
I shot a pards gun at a shoot a number of years ago and all I had to do was look at it and it would go off!!!! I don't like that cause I use all my CAS guns for other things.
Anyone else have the luck I have in getting good guns right from the factory??
Jest curious.......
Tascosa
Ex-feedlot cowboy (ret)
Ex-cowboy (ret)
Ex-Sheriff's Sgt. (ret)
Ex-Chief of Police (ret)
BOLD 476

Camille Eonich

My gunsmith sees my guns before I do.  He did let me visit with the last new one before he worked on it though.  :D
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Joyce (AnnieLee)

Shot my Rugers for a year, straight out of the box. A couple of pards shot them and said it was like shooting a brick or a doorstop.  "Clunky" would be an understatement for them. I finally had them worked on, not for speed (I'll never be fast), but for smoothness and ease of shooting Gunfighter. My '73 has had the full "workup," again, because it just feels GREAT to shoot with it. I have had very little trigger work done on my firearms. I have a "heavy" finger and one MDQ for a shot over the berm because of a light trigger pull was enough for me.

AnnieLee, good question, thanks!

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Danny Bear Claw

Howdy Tasc.  All of my CAS guns are shot as-is, right out of the box.  I have two used single actions that had action jobs done on them before I owned them and they are "slicker and quicker" than the rest of my out-of-the-box guns, but I mostly shoot my 4 Vaqueros, (without action jobs), and the fact is I like the actions on them just as they are.  Now you can probably time me with a calender but that don't bother me none.  I shoot 45s and 44-40s and I have lots of fun doing it.  Now my Rossi '92/65 was very sticky out of the box but a few hundred rounds later it was plenty slick enough for me.

I once had a Colt revolver butchered up pretty good by a hack-gunsmith and it left a bad taste in my mouth as far as gunsmiths go since then.  If it wasn't actually broken I wouldn't have taken it to him in the first place.  My Daddy used to say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!  Nope.  No action jobs for me.  I did buy a pair of them Belt Mountain base pins for my Vaquero main shooters, but never even put them in the guns.  Just wasn't enough play in the cylinders to cause me to install them.   ::)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Book Miser

Tascosa, I think the need for gunsmithing can be tied to an individual's desire to become a top competitor, or desire for perfection of the firearm itself.

Of all the firearms I've owned, only one--a .380 Bersa Thunder--was genuinely bad. I fixed that problem by trading it in on a nice S&W, that has also now been sold.

Of the cowboy guns I use, the only one that's had any work is the "Jing" 12 gauge. I did some judicious stone work on the action and some re-fitting of the stock, which greatly improved reliability and function. Now, this is a ridiculously unsophisticated shotgun, the action of which looks like it could have been somebodys high school metal shop project.

My revolvers and rifle have had no work done.

...of course my scores always appear in the bottom quintile of the rankings, on the occasions I am not dead-last.  ;D
Bugler & webmaster for the Jefferson Outlaws
SASS customer # 54876, ROII
PWDFR #119
POOP
...tell it to the chaplain

Col. Riddles

My AWA Peacekeepers & Charles Daly SAAs are just fine right out of the box. No action jobs needed. The rest have had action jobs. My 73 has been shot just the way it came out of the box 10 years ago. same for my 66. My 1860 Henry was bought used & slicked up before I got it. MY Rossi 92s have had action jobs by Nate Kiowa Jones. My Rossi 12ga has had the forcing cones lengthened & the chambers honed & polished. The TTN hasn't had anything done to it. 
God answers knee mail † ><>
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Col. Riddles

My AWA Peacekeepers & Charles Daly SAAs are just fine right out of the box. No action jobs needed. The rest have had action jobs. My 73 has been shot just the way it came out of the box 10 years ago. same for my 66. My 1860 Henry was bought used & slicked up before I got it. MY Rossi 92s have had action jobs by Nate Kiowa Jones. My Rossi 12ga has had the forcing cones lengthened & the chambers honed & polished. The TTN hasn't had anything done to it. 
God answers knee mail † ><>
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Badlands Walker

Big John Denny

I shot all my Rugers right out of the box, but I had one on which the action felt like it was encased in sand. Did have a job done on that one to smooth it out some.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

Badlands Walker

Shot one once while it was still in the box! :o

Book Miser

BW, why am I not surprised to learn that???

:P :P :P ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D
Bugler & webmaster for the Jefferson Outlaws
SASS customer # 54876, ROII
PWDFR #119
POOP
...tell it to the chaplain

The Arapaho Kid

Let's see here.  The question is "Has anyone shot from the box?"  I thought about this and I can honestly say that I have never shot from the box....however.....I have sat in a few!

Scattered Thumbs

Quote from: Joss House on August 10, 2005, 04:27:17 PM
I do all my own hobby gunsmithing, so every gun I get I open it up to see how it's made. It's a good thing too because almost every Italian import I've examined needs some smoothing internally. It's true that they should function right out of the box and 99% do, but if the parts were not smoothed before use, the life expectancy would greatly reduced.

Same here.

Badlands Walker

Quote from: Book Miser on August 10, 2005, 10:30:56 PM
BW, why am I not surprised to learn that???

:P :P :P ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

Thought ya might enjoy that one pard! ;)

Micheal Fortune

I have a brace of Uberti Cattlemen that don't need any work on other than the sights, widen the rear and get them both shooting to the same point of aim.  But the actions are fine.

Most all my guns could benefit from some kind of attention or another prior to being put in competition.

My 1894 Marlin cb was rougher than a cob right out of the box, a little attention and about a half an hours time, a spring change  and she is shooting great.

My Stoeger coach gun also needed a little tune up, a spring, a little polishing is all it took.

I have a brace of RNV's.  I really like them but they need to get to someone who understands them a little better than me.  A little creep and clunkiness in them but as there are no gunsmiths in the area, and I'm not ever mailing them off, guess I'll live with it.
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

RRio

I do action jobs on all of my pistols before they are shot. My '92s, (EMF, Rossi, & LSI) are straight from the box. The LSI smoothed out so well, that a lot of people has asked who did the action job on it. The EMF, while still fairly new, is started to smooth up as nice as LSI. The Rossi, however has always been a problem child. It started life as a Trapper model, but I put a big loop on it, and has always been "tight". It will be making a trip to Nate Kiowa Jones, eventually.
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it"  - Capt. Woodrow Call

"Proud citizen of CasCity since 2004." 
NCOWS 2492  SASS 22927   SCORRS     USFACS #28       GAF #267 Dept. of the Platte  AZ        STORM #178

Sixgun Murray Greenblatt

First match I shot was just with the boxes.  No work on my pistols, rifle or shotgun.  I've got to have some excuses. ;D
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

tarheel mac

Not sure if I qualify or not..I shot all my guns the way they came to me, but they was all used..although one had not ever been fired by it's previous owner..  and all shot pretty well too...

Wes Virginian

Some I do, like my ROA's, and some I don't. My Ruger .44's were slicked up before I traded for them. I bought a Colt Cowboy a couple of years ago, which I put a Wolff's mainspring in it. I had my Marlin .44's for about 20 years before I worked on them.
Texican Rangers, Co. A, Kanawha Valley Regulators, NRA Life-Endowment, SASS Life 40471, NCOWS 2037, GAF, USN '60/'63.

LazyK Pejay

Since I carry mine when hunting I shoot out of the box. I want a safe pistol for snakes and that old Russian boar who will not stay down. I don't want it to go off easy when varmits are close and things are a bit tense ;)

LazyK Pejay

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com