For those of you that hand sew..What kind of stitching pony do you use.

Started by mrappe, August 06, 2011, 10:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrappe

I have been using the small one from Tandy that I got a long time ago and it is a a pain to use for anything larger than a wallet. I was thinking about making or buying something better.
God is fluxing me which is good but it is not fun.

Ned Buckshot

Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Slowhand Bob

I like that Ned but in the end, though I have had several ponys, I  always used my knees and lap more than anything else.

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

I  now have the time to throw a bunch together. Here are some submissions. A bit crude for my tastes seeing I have been doing this as a hobby building 14th century Gothic furniture for 35 years. MY LASTEST PIECE LINK  AND HERE ;)

mrappe

Those are some nice pieces these Duke and Ned. I like all of them I will just have to settle on a design. I like the idea that Ned had with his which would facilitate sewing at different angles and it looks nicely done but I think that I will have to sit down since standing still for long periods is painfull for my feet and back.
God is fluxing me which is good but it is not fun.

Ned Buckshot

Quote from: mrappe on August 06, 2011, 02:29:08 PM
Those are some nice pieces these Duke and Ned. I like all of them I will just have to settle on a design. I like the idea that Ned had with his which would facilitate sewing at different angles and it looks nicely done but I think that I will have to sit down since standing still for long periods is painfull for my feet and back.

That is exactly why I built it this way I can't stand for very long. It clamps in a vise and swivels on 2 planes. I sit on a "drafting" stool and did all my stitching, gives me plenty of room for long runs of thread without getting tangled.

It has worked wonderfully for me many, many years and I never had the desire to change anything about the design.

It also has a plate of wood attached to the bottom edge to clamp on a table, I did this when I sold at gun shows so I could keep on working.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Chuck 100 yd

Just a quick throw together to get me started. It works so I haven't gotten around to making any thing better.

will ghormley

I use an ancient Tandy stitching horse.  I like the lines, it is graceful to look at, relatively light weight, and has been extensively patched and added-to over the years.  I've added pouches for my tools, a dowel for my spool of linen thread, a cup for my bee's wax, and a holster for three pairs of stitching needles, (just in case I need more than one at a time).  The seat is padded with three layers of scrap fleece with a cast-off chap leather covering.  Actually, the old horse looks pretty hideous.  But, I know where everything is with my eyes closed and it only take a few minutes to fix it when something breaks down.

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

WaddWatsonEllis

I was lucky enough to trade a post '69 (side eject,cross bolt safety) for an EXCELLENTLY MADE Stitching Horse.

The two arms of the vice are tightened centrally, which allows it to rotate 360 degrees ... with a pin that secures the angle.

The builder also took pieces of scrap wood and made 'tool sheds' on either side.

And Will, I would love to see the work you did to add tools to your horse ... even little close-ups if you do not wish to show the whole thing .....

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

TexasToby

I'll try to post a couple of pics of mine. I don't have the jaws covered yet and I'm going to put a spring inside on the bolt to keep tension on it.
Swinging a rope is alot of fun unless, your neck is in the loop.

Marshal Will Wingam

Mine was from a friend who got it from one of his friends who made it. There are holders for beeswax and tools. It's a good one.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

will ghormley

Will Ghormley

JD Alan

This stitching device (not sure if it's a horse, mule, pony or what!) was made for me by my friend from church, Marc. It's setting in front of a stand I bought from Harbor Freight to hold my granite so I can tool in the house as well as the shop.

It has a hinge on one side near the bottom, and a threaded rod running through with a knob to tighten it up on whatever project I'm working with. It's a simple design that works real well, at least for me.

I had a nice stitching horse to sit on but my back didn't care for it, so now I sit in a comfortable chair and sew away with this one. I can pull it up as close as I need. I also have the small Tandy device for very small projects that work better close up.

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

Rattlesnake Pete

Compared to the ''ponys and horses'' some of you use my selfmade stitching pony is ... well.... looking pretty amateuristic... but so is my leatherwork.... again; compared to what you guys make.  ;D

But; most important; it works wonders.
My first holster I've sewn by hand, pinching it between my knees, made I had trouble walking afterwards for 2 hours  :'(

Handstitching with the object clamped in the 'pony' is a breeze.

DWSA #357
Longtime Rattlerbreeder, novice Blackpowder shooter, novice Leathercrafter

will ghormley

I still haven't figured out how to post pics, so here is a link to my "photos" page, with detailed pics of my stitchin' horse.

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/Photos.html

Will

Will Ghormley

Boothill Bob

Will, I love your Photos  :o
Soon you are gona get a call from my friend Dick again, I will need some Ringo conchos and some patterns  ;)
//Boothill Bob
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Skeeter Lewis

I made my own stitching pony using these instructions from Chuck Burrows. It works well.

For holsters though, I work on my lap.

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tutorials/_stitchpony.html

Boothill Bob

I made mine from the book "The Art Of Hand Sewing Leather" its a pattern in the end of the book
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Marshal Will Wingam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com