Shirt Question:

Started by The Arapaho Kid, August 09, 2005, 12:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Arapaho Kid

As some of you know I am retired military and I can access military bases for just about anything.  My question here is:  is a Navy Dungaree Shirt, those light weight, light blue chambray ones...ok for shooting?  I know they stress "period style" in the shoots, but some of that stuff costs a fortune to buy.  I can pick up those Dungaree Shirts for cheap at a Navy Base.  So...would I get hammered on for wearing a shirt of that type?

Badlands Walker

Man Kid, they'll come down on ya like a bad cold! ;)

The Arapaho Kid

Well...up here in the Pacific Northwest they aren't all that fussy about being period correct.  In my last shoot I word a standard denum shirt with the sleeves rolled up and no one said anything about it, but it was a bit warm.  That's why I'm looking at those dungaree shirts.  They are lightweight.

Book Miser

It really depends on the club, and most places it's considered bad form to criticize a pard's costume, at least until he's well enough known to take a joke.

At Jefferson, we have GrapeShot, who shoots in 19th century U.S. military garb--pith helmet, khakis, Sam Browne belt. We also have Timeline Cowboy, who sometimes wears his Civil War reenactor gear, and other times is even less "cowboy."

I wouldn't worry over it. You'll take more of a ribbing about whatever hat you wear than anything else. Around these parts, some folks wear a plastic rain cover over the hat when the weather is wet. Those are known in these parts as "hat condoms." I myself like a hat to get good and wet now and again, as it helps the fit, allows you to re-shape it, and evens out that salt ring around the headband.  ;D
Bugler & webmaster for the Jefferson Outlaws
SASS customer # 54876, ROII
PWDFR #119
POOP
...tell it to the chaplain

Badlands Walker

Well, I won't swear by it but, it's my understandin' iffn' yer' at a SASS Match, it better be period correct! ;)

Book Miser

If you go to somebody's annual shoot, they'll get a little uppity about that, but most monthly shoots are more relaxed.

Again, it depends on the club. But I wouldn't shoot monthlies with people who were so tight-assed.
Bugler & webmaster for the Jefferson Outlaws
SASS customer # 54876, ROII
PWDFR #119
POOP
...tell it to the chaplain

The Arapaho Kid

This is my standard shooting outfit.  Top to bottom:  Stetson hat with one inch wide, braided horsehair band, leather vest with my SASS Badge and Indian Police Badge;  standard, blue denum shirt; khaki colored Levis - I added logger buttons and they are held up with period style spenders; double Buscadero gun rig for my sixshooters and my ol' model 1892 Winchester and cavalry boots with spurs.

Badlands Walker

That's a fine lookin' outfit there pard! ;)

Four-Eyed Buck

lookin' good to me, Arapaho. Don't think that shirts an issue unless there's snaps. Most blue dungaree shirts are button style, I believe anyway..............Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

The Arapaho Kid

Quote from: Four-Eyed Buck on August 09, 2005, 12:49:50 PM
lookin' good to me, Arapaho. Don't think that shirts an issue unless there's snaps. Most blue dungaree shirts are button style, I believe anyway..............Buck 8) ::) ;)

No snaps on any of my shirts. Buttons only and I'm real carefull not to get those shirts with the button down collars.

Hemlock Mike

Is tht your brother Darrel or your other brother Darrel ??  Looks like twins to me.

I'd think the shirt is OK for local shoots unless they're really pickey.  Looks like a work shirt.

Mike

The Arapaho Kid

It is a denim work shirt and no one gave me any flack about it at the shoot where I wore it.  We aren't all that picky here.

Wrangler Rich

Rap,

In SASS, there is no dress code as to what type of shirt you wear.  There are NO clothes Police.  This is a misconception.  It is a fantasy game.

Look in the rule book, and the things they don't want are: designer jeans, T-Shirts, running shoes, Baseball caps, etc. etc.

Those shirts will work just fine.  You could (if you want to) cut the collar off and have a "banded collar shirt" of your own making.

By the way, you are looking pretty good in that picture you posted, and I'm, sure no one will complain.  After you are a vetern of many shoots with the same Pards, there may be some good natured ribbing, but I'll bet you could dish some out yourself. 8)
Hiram's Ranger # 10
It's not like it used to be, but it'll do.

The Arapaho Kid

Quote from: Wrangler Rich on August 09, 2005, 05:50:04 PM
Rap,

In SASS, there is no dress code as to what type of shirt you wear.  There are NO clothes Police.  This is a misconception.  It is a fantasy game.

Look in the rule book, and the things they don't want are: designer jeans, T-Shirts, running shoes, Baseball caps, etc. etc.

Those shirts will work just fine.  You could (if you want to) cut the collar off and have a "banded collar shirt" of your own making.

By the way, you are looking pretty good in that picture you posted, and I'm, sure no one will complain.  After you are a vetern of many shoots with the same Pards, there may be some good natured ribbing, but I'll bet you could dish some out yourself. 8)

You shoulda seen all the ribbing I got about my choice of calibers for my irons. A whole bunch of folks were ribbing me about my .32-20 choice of calibers.  "How come you shoot that wimpy caliber?"  "Why don't you shoot a man's caliber?"  I just told them.....caliber doesn't win matches.  Hits do!  I'll put my little wimpy .32-20's up against those hand and shoulder fired cannons any day of the week!  Every match I've fired in I shot clean.  I even hit special bonus targets.  My .32-20's put the bullets where I want them to go.

Badlands Walker

The Arapaho Kid

Quote from: Badlands Walker on August 10, 2005, 01:50:09 PM
.32-20?   :o

Yep!  My irons (except for my scattergun) are .32-20.  The reason for that is...when I got started in the crazy sport I already had an old model 1892 Winchester in .32-20.  It was my grandfathers seal gun and I turned it into a wall hanger...never figgred I'd ever shoot it.  When I became interested in CAS and found out what kind of irons I needed, I took that old lead launcher to a gun shop and had it inspected and worked on.  The guy at the shop said it was shootable and in pretty good shape for its age.

Then came my sixshooter search.  I thought about going for a higher caliber, but then thought when I went to a match I'd have to have two different types of ammo, so I started looking for sixshooters in .32-20.  Navy Arms came through for me.  I have two Navy Arms Sixshooters, .32-20 on a .45 frame.

I like .32-20 because the ammo is fairly cheap and there's less recoil with it.  Gun shop price on a box of ammo is 29 bucks.  I can get it on the net for $12.45 a box.

That's why I shoot .32-20

Silver Creek Slim

If it is a SASS match, I see no problem with those shirts. If it is NCOWS, they might be iffy. Also, many shirts of the time period we play had collars.

It would ruin my day to be shot with a .32-20.  :o

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

The Arapaho Kid

I've seen old pictures of cowboys and their shirts had collars...not all, but a good many of them had collars and pockets.  I'm thinking my denim shirts will be ok for a shoot.  If i catch any flack about it...I won't shoot there again!

Camille Eonich

Quote from: The Arapaho Kid on August 10, 2005, 05:41:19 PM
I've seen old pictures of cowboys and their shirts had collars...not all, but a good many of them had collars and pockets.  I'm thinking my denim shirts will be ok for a shoot.  If i catch any flack about it...I won't shoot there again!

If that's the way that you feel about it then why ask in the first place?

Just wondering because I see so many of these types of posts.
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Big John Denny

Kid, if anyone ever says anything about your shirts, which look SASS legal to me, tell them to take up a collection to buy you one they like. That ought to hush them up.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com