Newest project

Started by Pappy Hayes, August 01, 2011, 06:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pappy Hayes

This is my first attempt at doing a lot of carving. I used Will Ghormley's pattern. It is holding my 1860 Army. Sorry I could not get a very good picture of it.

Kid Terico

Pappy nice job of carving and great color. KT

mtgelaude

Great job on that holster.  I really like Slim Jims, there is somthing about them.  Nice color, hat did you use to color it?  I also like the carving, how was it done?  A knife is my guess.

Long Juan

Very nice indeed, Pappy.  
CAPT John (Long Juan) Soule
Texican Rangers, Fredericksburg, Texas
Plum Creek Shooting Society, Lockhart, Texas
SASS #84671 NCOWS #3322 STORM #368
GAF #737,  Department of Missouri, Division of Texas
www.tarryhollowgang.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Pappy you did a fantastic job on this holster, you have come a long ways, keep up the great work.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Boothill Bob

Pappy. Its a lovely holster pard. Nice color..
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Pappy,
Very nice! Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Slowhand Bob

Pappy, an overall nice looking holster and I am really partial to the Slim Jims.  The color is really beautiful and I wonder if you would share with us?  Which dye and color did you use and how did you apply it?

Irish Dave

Great job, Pappy. I like it.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

WaddWatsonEllis

Pappy,

I thought you might like a little history on your California Slim Jim holster ...

They were first made, and the holster was refined by a leather company in San Francisco called Main and Winchester ... they also did alot of western military orders for McClellan saddles, butt forward cavalry holsters, belts and such.Here is a little snippet about the company:

http://www.vintagegunleather.com/company-marks/mainwin_history.html
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Wolf Tracker

Pappy nice job on the holster. I agree with everyone else, nice color.
A man, a horse, and a dog never get weary of each other's company.

Pappy Hayes

I used Eco Flo water based Timber brown. I applied it with a dauber from Tandy. I applied a coat of extra virgin olive oil to the inside which soaked through some darking the color a bit then applied the dye to the inside. Then coated the outside and inside with resoline(probable mispelled). To answer another question i used my swivel knife to carve it.

Marshal Will Wingam

That's really good, Pappy. Nice job on the carving. The color is very suitable, too. Thumbs up.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com