Cowboys and Aliens

Started by Rowdy Fulcher, July 31, 2011, 05:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowdy Fulcher

Howdy
Today we went to watch Cowboys and Aliens and it wasn't to bad . I won't say much , don't want to spoil it for any one . What did you think ?

John Smith

I liked it, had some good "Bowie" knife use.

Marshal Deadwood

I wasn't gonna see it, but if Rowdy think's its OK, then I just might go see'er.

I guess one just has to watch for what it is,,and enjoy, eh ?

I do think the characters I seen in the trailers 'looked' western.

Marshal Deadwood  *hoping for a pleasant surprise

Caleb Hobbs

I went with guarded expectations and was pleasantly surprised. A very edge-of-the-seat experience. Watch for Buck Taylor and (I'm assuming) his son Matt. I believe they were the scalp hunters are the beginning of the film. I always like Buck in a Western; he's a natural.

Cole Bluesteele

Worth the money.  Go seee it.

Tjackstephens

Really like Buck Taylor and his Dad Dub also. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Marshal Deadwood

Buck Taylor is like Sam Elliott,,just looks western even if he did'nt want to. I like ol' Buck. I don't think he got the parts he outta in movies.

MD

Icebox Bob

Went to see it with my father-in-law and brother-in-law.  We all enjoyed it.  Craig and Ford do cowboy just fine - and Olivia Wilde - well she is just mighty fine......

Take the look of the new "True Grit", add a dash of "Independence Day" and spice with a bit of "Aliens" and you get "Cowboys and Aliens".  I'm not sure that it is a new genre of movie.  Sequel?  I doubt it. 
Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

Marshal Deadwood

Well, like I said,,I was gonna be a hold out,,till video release anyways,,but you gents say its OK,,then dang it, I'm gonna try to see it by the weekend anyways.
MD

44caliberkid

My wife and I saw it.   We both liked it and she's a hard sell.   It is purely escapist entertainment.   Don't look too hard for holes in the story.   Was anyone able to tell what kind of rifle the Preacher had?   Mostly just saw muzzel views, I think it my have been a single shot.   Doc used it after the Preacher got killed.

Caleb Hobbs

I believe the Preacher shot a Spencer. Doc did a mighty fine job on that first alien with the same carbine. Of course, I might be biased regarding the Spencer's abilities, as that's what I shoot.

John Smith

Yes, "Doc" used the preachers Spencer to good results, .50 cal lead slugs gets even aliens attention.  I enjoyed this movie, some humor, some gore, some SF, lots of old west.  What more could you ask for?

Pancho Peacemaker

Just saw it and enjoyed it.  Nice to see hollywood come uop with something original for once.  Its a fantasy movie, but pretty sound western firearms and gear.  Could holes I noted: everybody wore crossdraws and everybody seamed to wear button down collars.

The preacher/doc's rifle looked like a Sharps carbine or maybe a Spencer.

I thought Ford and the Indian chief did a great job.

I also really like seeing the S&W Russian carried by the Mexican of all people.

All in all, not a pure Western, but solid entertainment.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Slickshot

I also went to see the movie with my son yesterday.  I had read the reviews but always go to the movie with an open mind, like I did when I saw "True Grit". 

I thought that "Cowboys and Aliens" was actually a better movie overall than "Thor".  I will at least buy this one, it's a Western/Sci-fi movie and I like them both.

I thought that was Buck Taylor - "Tombstone" - correct?

Slickshot

Mogorilla

Hey Pancho,
Not really hollywood being original.  I believe like many movies of the last few years it was a graphic novel first.  Favreau is a huge comic fan and treats them with respect when working on them (Iron man I and II).   Not as well made, but good as well is the Burrowers.  It has Clancy Brown (deep booming voice, the Kurgan in Highlander).  It is a horror western.  I enjoyed the heck out of it, but I like horror movies

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0445939/combined

Johnny McCrae

I saw it last night with my bride. I went to see it out of curiosity. It was OK and entertaining to a point but I prefer a traditional Western. I don't think I'll buy the DVD.

Now I have to take my bride to a "Chick" movie of her choosing.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Dakota Dan from OZ

Starts here downunder on the 18th of this month, will going to see it looks like it will be a good.

Dakota  8)

My Pa once said "Son never take a knife to Gun Fight"  He told the truth.
SASS# 28875
SASS State Governor
SASA  Aust #2715
SASA State Discipline Chairman
RATS 239
PWDFR 146
GSC 001

OklaTom

My family went to see it together.  As many have said, not a real western.  But not a real "bug shoot" sci-fi movie either.  Only Lonergan had the space age weapon.  The prop company (sorry, I forgot their name already) turned to 3B Shooting Supply to supply the Richards-Mason conversions to use in the movie.  An honor.  Although I have to confess that when he first called, and told me he needed these for a movie called Cowboys and Aliens, I thought someone was pulling my leg.  But his cash was good, so I sold them all I could get.
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

River City John

Just saw it yesterday afternoon with the wife and some of my BRR Pards, and we liked it very much.

Had no problem with any of the details other than the modern canted crossdraw worn by the female lead. That, and the fact that the Taylor clan had too brief of a screen time!

Won't comment further for fear of spoilers.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: OklaTom on August 07, 2011, 10:09:23 PM
  The prop company (sorry, I forgot their name already) turned to 3B Shooting Supply to supply the Richards-Mason conversions to use in the movie.  An honor.  Although I have to confess that when he first called, and told me he needed these for a movie called Cowboys and Aliens, I thought someone was pulling my leg.  But his cash was good, so I sold them all I could get.

Biscuit wants your autograph next time we stop by the shop.

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com