Side by side or '97 pump that is the question?

Started by Brazos Bucky Smith, May 15, 2004, 01:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazos Bucky Smith

Just getting atarted.  While reading all you pards who have experience and druthers, how do you pick your shotgun of choice?  Care to give a newbee ;D a heads up?  Is 12 gauge the only choice or is 20 gauge an option?  Thanks for y'lls assistance in my quandry! ???
Brazos Bucky
"A man oughta do what he thinks is right."
BOLD #566, NRA Life (Endowment)
SASS #59058, SBSS #1605, SCORRS

Cuts Crooked

Brazos,

Yes the 20 is an option, alythough mpre difficult to find in a legal trombone gun these days.

How to decide? Well part of the deal is what you prefer, part is what catagory you shoot in, and part is which you shoot better....not much help am I? ;)

The SxS can be shot in almost any catagory except classic, in classic I think yer restricted to to an SxS with hammers. The Frontier catagories call for and SxS, with or without hammers. Other than that you can use a pump gun in alla the other catagories.

Deciding which is best fer you is a very personal thing. In my opinion the pump is more difficult to shoot fast. BUT....
with practice ...it is actually faster. The SxS is easier to learn to shoot fast for most people. (this is a generalization, there are exceptions of course)

I don't shoot a pump gun very fast, I've never put in the amount of practice it takes to be truely speedy with one. But I own both SxS and a Norchester 97. When I shoot in Duelist or Traditional I always take both with me because there are situations in which one is better than the other for me. For instance: Shooting through a window...with a SxS this means I have to pull the gun back out of a high window to reload...with the pump I can leave the barrel up in the window while I toss the next round in the chamber. But in a stage that has a knockdown that launches a flyer the SxS is WAY faster for me! In that case I can hammer the knockdown and get on the bird fast without having to deal with working a pump to get the next round ready!

Best answer...try both and see what suit yer style best! ;D
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Caucasian Wingnut

Howdy Bucky

I always work on the assumption that I will use my guns for more than one sport. The six guns are limited to SASS fun, but the long guns you can use for other things.

A good SxS you can use for Cowboy shooting, but you can also use it for Deer or Upland hunting, Skeet and Sporting Clays. All of these sharpen your eyes and reflexes.

The Win 97 with its short barrel and cylinder choke only let you use it in bar room fights, trench warfare or major urban riots, all of which are fun things to do on a weekend, but tend to get you into a wee bit of trouble with the local Marshall.  ;D

Swamp Yankee
"You best SMILE when you call me a "Fuzzy Yellow Belly Chicken"

CORR of CT.

Doc Shapiro

Here's a little more info.

There were less than 10 (I think) Winchester Model 1897 pump guns made in 20 ga.  So, you're practically stuck at 12 or 16 ga for a pump gun.

20 ga guns typically have more felt recoil than 12 ga.  Due partly to lighter weight, and also to the tighter bore.  In my opinion (IMO) 12 ga is really the way to go. 

Both the SxS and 97 can be shot fast.  Pick one and work with it.

Doc

Brazos Bucky Smith

Hey thanks for the rapid fire responces :D.  Good points all!  I love the pump idea, from the old lawdog days the ratcheting of the action sure does get ones attention!  But then again, the Duke placing a side by side in some bad guys face always got a smile too ;D.

Lots of good info on this site and good pards to share with!
Brazos Bucky

Cuts Crooked

Anybody know iffin any of the Marlin Trombone gunz were made in 20 bore?
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

FloraBama Kid

IMO theres nuthing like a Mule Eared SxS. ;D  But then again I'm thinking about one of those new Colt 78s.

If you want to keep it simple go with a SxS. If you are blessed with coordination the pump may be best. If all else fails and you want style points pick up a pair of mule ears. ;D
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Big Hext Finnigan

Howdy pard and welcome,

The short answer is both.  Depending on your impression or your category, you can go either way.  There are some issues to consider, besides those all ready listed.

12 guage is really the way to go.  You can shoot cheaper factory and if you run out or drop one, the chances of somebody handing you a 20 are slim.  There are more choices down the road, with brass shells, paper hulls and blackpowder, all easier in 12 guage.

If you want a real 97, the Winchesters are getting more scarce and more expensive.  The Norincos are not consistent in their quality.  They are fast and they are fun.  I have two, both Winchesters.

All that said, I would suggest that you start with a SxS.  Stevens 311, Stoegers and Baikals are all pretty cheap, between $200 and $300.  All are good starters and the Stoeger and Baikal can be used with great success at the highest level of competition.

And I do believe the 1878 Colt will be my next shotgun purchase.
Adios,

Manatee

I did a little speed test yesterday.  I've been practicing with a 97 for the better part of 9 months, but have shot a double quite awhile.

My times on 4 shots were within a half second of each other, with the 97 getting the edge.  However, I bobbled a little on the side-by-side due to lack of practice.  I think my speed is fairly equivalent with either one.

And both are fun to shoot.

Shiloh Sharpie

Quote from: Brazos Bucky on May 15, 2004, 01:45:21 AM
Just getting atarted.  While reading all you pards who have experience and druthers, how do you pick your shotgun of choice?  Care to give a newbee ;D a heads up?  Is 12 gauge the only choice or is 20 gauge an option?  Thanks for y'lls assistance in my quandry! ???

I have and use both.  My opinion is that SXS is simpler and more fun and the '97 more technical; easier to get messed up.    I'll  bet if you stay with this game you'll have both anyway, so why not start with simple fun!?
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS 10477 Life
-------------------------------------------------------
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

Brazos Bucky Smith

Shiloh Sharpie,

With all the first rate info I been a readin' here, I do believe it will be a side by side!  And, you are plum right too, that I will probably wind up with both of them ;D
Brazos Bucky

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Cuts Crooked on May 15, 2004, 10:07:41 PM
Anybody know iffin any of the Marlin Trombone gunz were made in 20 bore?
e-gunparts.com lists 20 ga barrels for the 1898 Marlin.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Brazos Bucky Smith

;) Thanks Slim!

Just got back from peekin' around that site.  Good stuff and not just for CAS stuff. ;D

Brazos
Brazos Bucky

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com