London Navy

Started by Harley Starr, July 26, 2011, 11:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harley Starr

Anybody with a Uberti London Navy wish to point out the Pros and Cons of their experience with this piece?
A work in progress.

Pettifogger

I have four.  Beautiful fit and finish and all steel.  Don't see any downsides compared to a Uberti with brass trigger guard and back strap.  Same poor barrel to arbor fit found on most Ubertis, but once fixed they are great shooters.

Harley Starr

QuoteSame poor barrel to arbor fit found on most Ubertis, but once fixed they are great shooters.

How did you remedy that flaw Pettifogger?
A work in progress.

Major 2

I just took one in trade ... its a 61 Navy London model ...very nice piece, it was unfired and has a nice action.

My idea is/was to convert & bob it for a side match pocket pistol...not so sure now :-\

The only flaw IMHO in an otherwise nice Fit & finish  is the Pietta billboard & "BP Only" law card rolled on the barrel  ::)  Pietta is want to do  ???
when planets align...do the deal !

Harley Starr

Is there a strong chance that this problem would show up on the Man With No Name Conversion?
A work in progress.

Coffinmaker

Unfortunately ............. Yes.  Most if not ALL Uberti Conversions, Open Top and BP guns have very poor Arbor/Barrel fit.  The MWNN conversion is built on the Open Top frame with an 1851 type barrel assembly.  I would be some surprised if one had good arbor/barrel fit.

Coffinmaker

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

What makes an 1861 Navy a "London" model?  Colt no longer manufactured revolvers in London after 1856, 'though they maintained an "agency" there afterwards.  It couldn't be merely possessing an iron grip frame and TG, as brass was also used in London Colts made from parts shipped from Hartford prior to the London factory beginning complete production in 1854.

http://www.theshootists.co.uk/Stories/coltlondon.htm

BTW, the Colt '51 London model was the Canadian cavalry arm from 1855, throughout the Red River campaign in 1870 and only replaced by the 1878 New Army model in 1885.  Stocks remained until the turn of the Century and it seems that holsters for the Navy were used for the 1878 as late as the Boer War.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Major 2

Flayderman mentions the 61 London model,  with iron Grips frames marked ADDRESS COL. COLT LONDON
page 81 in my copy.

This replica has iron grips frames. 
when planets align...do the deal !

Kent Shootwell

I do enjoy these desecration's on the history of a given model of firearm. Entertaining and ed-ju-ma-ka-tional.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Quote from: Major 2 on July 29, 2011, 05:53:27 PM
Flayderman mentions the 61 London model,  with iron Grips frames marked ADDRESS COL. COLT LONDON
page 81 in my copy.

This replica has iron grips frames. 

I'd say that Flayderman reference could only have applied to an item sold through Colt's "agency".  It could not have been manufactured in London.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Harley Starr

How this particular Navy got the "London" moniker escapes me. I am of the opinion that if enough people call it by the same name it winds up with that moniker.
A work in progress.

Fingers McGee

Quote from: Ridgway Texican Ranger on July 28, 2011, 02:29:22 AM
Is there a strong chance that this problem would show up on the Man With No Name Conversion?

I have a pair of MWNN revolvers that have correct arbor/barrel fit.  The bushing on the front of the cylinder also keeps everything lined up correctly.  If you put the wedge in too far, it locks the cylinder up. Now, I did have to correct a very narrow barrel/cylinder gap on one of them.

Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on July 29, 2011, 08:59:52 PM
I'd say that Flayderman reference could only have applied to an item sold through Colt's "agency".  It could not have been manufactured in London.

Quote from: Ridgway Texican Ranger on July 30, 2011, 12:11:13 AM
How this particular Navy got the "London" moniker escapes me. I am of the opinion that if enough people call it by the same name it winds up with that moniker.
From the CCA web page:  

Some 1861 Navies were shipped to the London Pall Mall Agency from the Hartford factory with iron grip-straps. A very few of these feature the ultra rare barrel address of '-ADDRESS COL. COLT LONDON'

I'd say that the same situation holds true for London marked pocket models too.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com