Military snaps for 1911 Tanker Rig?

Started by will ghormley, July 25, 2011, 07:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowhand Bob

Outrider, you are the man my friend.  There is a cheeeeper way to get the US (even the CS) stamps and the ones I have do a very good job.  These are cast from some sort of fiberglass reinforced plastic and stand up real well.  Just scroll through the Embossing Plates menu until you find what you need and keep in mind that he offers two sizes, you want the large one for holsters.
http://www.bunkhousetools.com/Services.html

outrider

Slowhand,''Interesting site...Do you have a contact number for this guy?  Also...how much was the embossingstamp?
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

will ghormley

I dropped by the site to check out the embossers as well.  What I'll need to know is what the dimensions on the actual military  holsters are.  I can make a pattern so folks can emboss the US by hand if they like.  If someone is only goin' to make one holster, it may not be cost effective to buy an embossed stamp.

I haven't gotten much feed back on whether or not folks want the actual military patterns as part of the pattern pack.  The opinions shared so far indicate the actual military patterns aren't that big of a draw for this pattern.  A simplified "look-alike" pattern seems to be adequate.

Separate patterns that have the actual military patterns sounds like it would make those few folks who want the military patterns happy.  I can buy the individual military hardware components in lots of 100.  Just a quick accounting brings the bill to around $500 for all, if not most, of the hardware.  I still haven't tracked down some of the very small grommets, but I'm sure with a little diggin' I can find 'em.  If someone is only goin' to make one holster, buyin' packs of 100 is goin' to make a mighty expensive project, with lots of left over parts.  If I invested in the hardware to make the military patterns to spec, I'd have to sell a lot of patterns to justify that much cash outlay.  If I made packets of hardware for the different military holsters, and sold the packets, I may make back the money over the years.  It would be a crap-shoot as to if I'd ever see a profit.  So, I'm still tryin' to figure out how to proceed.

I still have a couple weeks before I have to worry about it though.  I've got to finish up a few leather projects on my table, and finish the Apache Boot pattern and get the "How-To" booklet put together and on the net.  So, if you have any strong feelings one way or the other about the inclusion of military holsters or para-military holsters, let me know.

Thanks,
Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

Dalton Masterson

Will, of the holsters I sent you in the mail today, 1 has the stamp on it you can measure off of.
It is of WW2 vintage, so I am not sure if they changed the size of the stamps over the years.

As for the hardware parts, you could just tell where to get them in the instructions, have the instructions available in the pattern, along with the correct leather pattern portion of the pattern.

Then offer an alternate pattern to use different or no hardware. A good belt loop on the back of a flapped military holster would actually serve me better than a wire loop.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

will ghormley

Thanks Dalton, I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.  Most of the military hardware I found came in lots of 100.  If a feller wanted to pick up just enough to do a couple holsters, I'm not sure where he would look. 

I've been studyin' on the 1916 belt holster David Ledbetter sent me to look over.  He wasn't kiddin' when he talked about government overkill!  You could get the same look and function out of a far simpler design.

When designing patterns, I have three pages I can print and fit in an envelop.  If I include the military holsters according to specs, I wouldn't even be able to get all of the mil holsters in.  I could conceivably have a simplified para-military version and still be able to get other holsters in.  The mil spec holsters would have to go in their own separate pattern pack/s, (but TLF wouldn't buy 'em because TLF don't sell the hardware, so the mil spec patterns would be printed off one at a time and be much more expensive). 

Right now, I am leaning towards simplified para-military holsters that are close to the military look, but much more basic in construction and using common hardware.  This would allow me to include more cowboy and carry holsters for the 1911.  I still want to do the military patterns, but they wouldn't make any money and would be more for my own personal satisfaction.

Haven't gotten much posted feedback on the content of the pattern packs and the importance of military holsters.  If you have an opinion, please let me have it!  I've still got a couple-three weeks before I get started on the actual content of the pattern pack.  I've got to finish the orders on my table and then complete the Apache Boot pattern and get that out.  So, let me know if you have any preferences one way or the other.

Thanks,
Will

Will Ghormley

ChuckBurrows

Will -
I have pics of a couple of different styled M1911 Holster as used by the Texas Rangers - the one made by Brill was the inpiration for the rig SB mentioned above - these along with the one by Frazier holster in PI are from the late teens and twenties..

Idea - these two along with the M1911 Frazier pictured in Packing Iron could be one set of patterns - IMO no need to make just one - do one or two commercial styles and then one of simpler Military style(s)???

Lone Wolf Gonzaulas holster:

Brill holster:

Frazier holster:

If you would like larger scans of the first two let me know.........
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

will ghormley

Hey Chuck,

I'd like to make several pattern packs for the 1911, but right now I'm limited by what TLF will buy.  With the popularity of the 1911 with the Wild Bunch, I would lean more toward cowboy holsters like you've shown, (I've already got the Frazier holster slated), and concealed-carry holsters.  A Tom Threepersons holster would be among the cowboy holsters, (similar to Lone Wolf's holster, but with the trigger guard exposed).

TLF may go for a separate pattern with para-military holsters that use hardware they carry.  I could add a more modern double-carry shoulder holster to that pattern with mag pouches on the off side.

When I get to the stage where I am actually making the patterns, I'll have a better idea of exactly what I can fit in the pattern and what I'll have to leave out.  Exact military patterns with accurate hardware would have to be a separate set of patterns I print on my own.  TLF wouldn't pick those up.

I'll throw Lone Wolf and the Brill holsters in the pile of patterns to work on and see where they fit in with the overall picture.

Thanks!
Will

Will Ghormley

outrider

Will,

I think I already have a pettern for the Lone Wolf in my files.......let me take a look see and I will get back at you
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

outrider

Will,

I just emailed you three pictures of  "cowboy style" 1911 pouches that I did about three years ago...
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Slowhand Bob

I usually like open toe designs in holsters but otherwise really like the Brill style and the fact that it looks good as a Buscadero adds another dimension to an already attractive competition design.  On my latest pattern I did roll the main seam cut around under the trigger guard somewhat, much like what Kirkpatrick did with their main seam stitch line.  Though no one has let me know of a gun falling from one of my holsters, it is about as brief as I think can be considered safe.  The Brill offers a little more margin for retention with its extra leather.  

JD Alan

Will, I've done quite a bit of Wild Bunch shooting, including the first Oregon State SASS WB match back in June. I see most guys going for the competition rigs rather than the military. The few guys that do use the military rigs generally go with military costuming as well, which adds to the expense.

The Mernickle style holsters seem to be the most popular. Outrider has an excellent design. I've used his pattern to make a dozen or so WB holsters, and they work real well. They retain the pistol while moving, yet allow you to draw it without having to use two hands, something I see guys doing with military style rigs and holsters that are just too tight. Slowhand Bob has an excellent design as well.

JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Blackey Cole

I know that post are supposed to relate to the old west and WB topics.  But, since you asked I would like to see some concealment and a pancake holster( a 3 slot if possible).
SASS, NRA, NMSA
NRA  RSO
SASS RO II
Gaming Gunfighter in Training

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Blackey Cole on August 15, 2011, 06:35:01 PM
I know that post are supposed to relate to the old west and WB topics.  But, since you asked I would like to see some concealment and a pancake holster( a 3 slot if possible).

Howdy Blackey

Modern gun leather is not allowed on this forum, that includes PANCAKE and Concealment rigs, we go as far as the Wild Bunch, which is what is used in our game, Shoulder Holsters for period guns are welcomed .

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com