Uberti's new 1873 half octagonal chambered in .45LC ?

Started by blackpowder, July 24, 2011, 09:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackpowder

Hello All around,

Uberti has recently introduced a new 1873 lever action rifle, chambered in .45LC. Since this is a toggle action link system, I am curious if one can shoot the new 325gr Buffalo Bore+P cartridges without problems. How do the toggle links hold up to this powerful cartridge? Does anyone know? And to what PSI pressure are the buffalo bores loaded compared to the classic .45LC ? Thanks :)

Ps. By the way, the same question applies to their brand new 1873 lev. action mod. chambered in .44mag.
"A horse is a horse, it ain't make a difference what color it is" -  John Wayne

Pettifogger

Uberti has made the 73 in .45 for years so I'm not sure what you mean by new.  The toggle link is not a strong action.  It is safe with any SAAMI spec .45 ammo.  If you want to hot rod the .45 cartridge a 73 is not the gun to do it with.  Uberti has cataloged the .44 Mag but no one has seen one and I doubt you ever will.  If you've ever had an out of battery discharge with a 73 with light cowboy loads, think what would happen with a high pressure load.  If you want to shoot heavy loads, buy a 92.

Got an email from Abilene from Cimmarron.  He says they have received a few 73s in .44 Magnum.  It will be interesting to see how they hold up to a steady diet of high pressure loads.  I still would not advise hot rodding the 73.  They used to make high pressure .44-40 and .38-40 ammunition and the box said they were to be used only in Model 92s and not the 73.  People apparently didn't bother ready the warning and the ammo companies had to discontinue the ammunition.

blackpowder

I mean that particular rifle is new: The 1873 half octagonal 18" rifle. And thanks for the advice. I thought as much. Better not to stress the link-pins in the action too much with high pressure ammo.
The model 1892 has a much sturdier action, of course. Just too bad Uberti doesn't make any 92s. Does anyone know of a good model 1892 replica? Who currently makes a good product? ???

joec

Quote from: blackpowder on July 25, 2011, 03:17:32 PM
I mean that particular rifle is new: The 1873 half octagonal 18" rifle. And thanks for the advice. I thought as much. Better not to stress the link-pins in the action too much with high pressure ammo.
The model 1892 has a much sturdier action, of course. Just too bad Uberti doesn't make any 92s. Does anyone know of a good model 1892 replica? Who currently makes a good product? ???

You might try Rossi as I have one in 45 Colt. It also has handled heavier loads with no problem at all. I do suggest you pick up the Steve Gunz Magazine follower in metal to replace the plastic one that comes in the Rossi 92. I did his basic tune up on mine and love it.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

h c ramrod

HOWDY, I REMEMBER SELLIN THE ROSSY IN 454CASULL WHEN I WAS IN THE GUN SALES FELLA LOVED IT HE SAID IT SHOT GREAT.
keep yur powder dry.

rosinghania

I have a Rossi .22 revolver 2 inch barrel and it still works perfectly. What do you guys think of the  Colt Detective Special? I've been googling a lot for reviews and I must say it's worth it.

blackpowder

The Colt Detective Special is a fine gun if made before 1970. But what has that got to do with my thread ??

Popa Kapoff

Quote from: h c ramrod on July 26, 2011, 07:38:10 AM
HOWDY, I REMEMBER SELLIN THE ROSSY IN 454CASULL WHEN I WAS IN THE GUN SALES FELLA LOVED IT HE SAID IT SHOT GREAT.

You can shot 45LC out of a 454 Casull and I wish I saw the 454 in a store before I brought my 92 in 45LC.
Till we meet keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com