Period Correct Shoots

Started by Cherokee Reb, July 21, 2011, 04:09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cherokee Reb

I am fairly new to NCOWS , having been involved in other aspects of historic reenacting for many, many years and just wondered if some clubs put on a strictly period correct shoot?

I realize that allowances must be made for safety, but they could be discrete. Having been involved in events like Ft Boonesborrough, Ft Harrod , Kokomah etc, where we would set up for days to a week without ever having anything non-18th century visible in an entire camp, how hard would it be to do the same for a one day shoot. Proper folding chairs would replace the nylon pop up thingies, and we would have to forgo the plastic canopy for shade. Folks would need to acquire and use period correct mugs/cups/cans to drink from and get rid of those nasty modern cigarettes, but it could be done.

When I was first getting involved, the example was given that SASS is for shooters who dress up like cowboys and NCOWS was for historic cowboy reenactors who shoot. As far as that, I think with the target ranges and most folks using BP, NCOWS shoots are much more of a challenge than pushing over targets with the muzzle of your revolvers ;D. I would just like to be able to look over the whole scene without the modern clutter we bring to it. Believe me, getting items to use from the 1860-1880s is much simpler and cheaper than finding correct gear for the F&I and Rev War eras.

Guess I'm incurable romantic when it comes to the past. Heavy sigh.....
Member SASS,NCOWS and Knob Creek Regulators

Deadeye Don

You are not alone.  Oh, and please leave the pastic water bottles at home.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Stillwater

Thread counters...!   ::)

Bill

Major 2

when planets align...do the deal !

Tjackstephens

Reb, You should visit the period correct camp city at the National. Nothing in that camp but items before 1900. That is except the cars on the road and the many many visitors that came to see. And down in cowboy town, nothing on the chip area, just before the firing range. Even water coolers back behind the chips. Any carcarts back pass that area too, not on the chips or near the firing area. We do try. Also enough gun racks that you don't need a gun cart. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

bowiemaker

I see your point and I would be willing to go along with what the posse wants to do but most of us do this for fun and being uncomfortable takes away from the enjoyment. The last couple of shoots that I attended the heat was a serious issue. Providing shade and water was as much about safety as it was about comfort. To that end, I cannot fault people for bringing along a cooler or a sun shade.

I liked the way it was handled at the Nationals. All of the modern stuff was behind a roped off line. Everything forward of the line was to be period although some water bottles, cameras, and styrofoam cups were on the firing line as were staple guns, ball point pens, and modern clipboards. It is unlikely that most shoots would really be period correct. Cars and other modern trappings are almost always visible from the area.

I very much agree that we should be period correct on the line. I would have no problem buying a period correct folding chair if I can find one. But I think allowing coolers, water bottles and putting up a canopy is preferable to heat stroke.
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Cherokee Reb

Someone always yells out "threadcounter".....

Shoots can be much more period correct and not fall to the threadcounting level. Comfort is what you perceive. I have done week long events  in the middle of nowhere, sleeping in a canvas tent on buffallo rodes under wool blankets in January and loved it. There were coolers to keep meat fresh and little else modern. Made fire with flint and steel, smoked our pipes , shot a little and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Likewise, Ft Boonesborrough in late Aug-Sept is very hot. The native village is in the treeline and camping for 5-6 days for a 3 day event is the norm. Again, coolers for common sense, and kept covered but event the insides of the lodges were kept correct. I've shot hundreds of pics at events and unless there are flatlanders, the pics could have come from the era.

The line is the one place that modern should be allowed in moderation. Yes we need timers, and scoresheets and writing tools, but even they could be camouflaged.

Bowiemaker shot some great pics at the last few shoots , but almost every one had modern paraphenalia marring the scenes. Not his fault, it is just so prevalent, and floks feel the have to have these things. I brought out a wood and canvas folding chair and threw a sheepskin on it for comfort. I transferred my drinks to a tin mug and sat under the big old shade tree. It was quite comfy.

We plan on attending National next year and will set up in primitive camp once I trade out my 1700s gear for 1870s gear. We will be correct and very comfortable. Now when they start jurying for shoots , I may have to back the modernists a bit more. It should be fun without a ton of stress, and it can be and still be correct.

CR aka Mingo Frank aka Mangus

Stillwater

Quote from: Cherokee Reb on July 21, 2011, 05:02:34 PM
Someone always yells out "threadcounter".....

<snip>

CR aka Mingo Frank aka Mangus

It is what it is...!

Bill

Delmonico

Quote from: Stillwater on July 21, 2011, 05:09:47 PM
It is what it is...!

Bill

Pretty simple to stay away from places that don't suit your style, even easier than whining about what someone else wants to do.  I'd say if these folks set up a shoot in that style you don't go. ;)

Added, I also tell folks who think certain places are to lax to not go to those places either.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Cherokee Reb

My point is that there are lists of guns that are not allowed because they did not exist or are not representative of what was commonly available but you can sit in a nylon chair drinking filtered water out of a plastic bottle while you light a filtered cigarette with a bic lighter and it is ok.

I'll shoot with the posse because they are a great group and admittedly the only NCOWS group I have met.

The advise to stay away if you don't like it denotes that even though it could be better, why try...

As I said , I'm a hopeless romantic when it comes to history...

CR

Tjackstephens

Reb, At the National, no smoking on the chip area and surely no smoking on the firing line, too many black powder shooters. I can't help but wish SASS shoots did not allow smoking in the firing area. It's so easy to see that many have not been around black powder shooters. Hang in there pard and you are welcome to shoot with us anytime. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

TwoWalks Baldridge

Cherokee Reb, I will throw my vote behind your proposal.  ;D

Ice chests can  be placed inside wood boxes
wood and canvas chairs can easily replace nylon folders
Canteen can replace water bottle in public
Canvas tarps make great shade areas.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Cherokee Reb

Quote from: Tjackstephens on July 21, 2011, 06:50:36 PM
Reb, At the National, no smoking on the chip area and surely no smoking on the firing line, too many black powder shooters. I can't help but wish SASS shoots did not allow smoking in the firing area. It's so easy to see that many have not been around black powder shooters. Hang in there pard and you are welcome to shoot with us anytime. Tj

Just wanting to see it a little better. I first started shooting flinters in 1974 and shot them exclusively for years and am with you in advising against smoking near them, but those who did , smoked pc pipes and made sure the powder horns were tucked well away.

I've given up on SASS but really do love the NCOWS concept and overall shooting experience.

See you around the campfire.

CR

Cliff Fendley

The Nationals was great, even then I saw modern stuff filter in but it was minimal.

I've been slowly gathering more period stuff myself and what modern stuff I do need such as my safety glasses and ear plug cases I try and keep in my saddle bags out of sight.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Ottawa Creek Bill

Cherokee , I'm with you on this one.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

RickB

I guess I would like to know why anyone who doesn't like the authenticity of NCOWS would be a member and post on the NCOWS forum?

I love the authenticity and strive to acheave it more and more. I don't belittle anyone who wants to join SASS and use short stroke kits on all their guns or dress like B-western cowboys. If thas their idea of a cowboy then go for it. I choose not to hang out with most of them because they get almost stupid angry at finding out I'm an NCOWS member and they don't like the adheriance to authenticity. If you don't like the threadcounters then hang with the short strokers.

Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Delmonico

Quote from: RickB on July 21, 2011, 09:46:16 PM
I guess I would like to know why anyone who doesn't like the authenticity of NCOWS would be a member and post on the NCOWS forum?

If you are refering to the person I think you are I don't think he is an NCOWS member but rather a type of Internet troll. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Major 2

"If you don't like the threadcounters then hang with the short strokers."

I'll second that !
when planets align...do the deal !

Deadeye Don

I would much rather be a thread counter than a "short stroker", which by the way just doesnt sound right to me.   :P
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Irish Dave

I agree Don. Sounds like a personal problem to me.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com