Chest Holsters: historic documentation?

Started by Pancho Peacemaker, July 18, 2011, 05:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pancho Peacemaker

Several of the major leather shops all offer "Doc Holiday" style shouder/chest holsters styled after the Doc Holiday holster from the holster used in the "Tombstone" film.  This style of rig resembles the "tanker" holsters of the second World War.

How much actual historic documentation exists for this style of holster from the Old West? 

Was it commonly used or just a figment of Hollywood imagination?

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

outrider

See if you can get a copy of "Packing Iron" by Rattenbury....there are several shoulder holsters in that text...and they are very similar to what we have today.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: outrider on July 18, 2011, 06:39:51 PM
See if you can get a copy of "Packing Iron" by Rattenbury....there are several shoulder holsters in that text...and they are very similar to what we have today.

I respectfully disagree.  I own a copy of Rattenbury's book.  The should rigs shown on pp. 154 to 159 all display the "skeleton" and "Texas" pattern shoulder rigs which hang from a loop on the left arm (if right handed).

The holster in question has been made popular by the Doc Holiday characterization in "Tombstone".  The style of shoulder rig he wears is more of a "harnass" wear than a "hanging" shoulder rig such as the period "Texas" shoulder rig.

If anyone has reference to such a "harnass" or (for lack of a better term) "tanker" shoulder rig that dates to pre-1900, please let me know.

Also, if I have looked over such a sample in the Rattenbury text, please point me to my error.

Sincerely,

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

Irish Dave

Pancho:

Certainly not saying (without further research) that none existed, I will say that I cannot ever recall seeing a rig such as you posted above in any of the books in my not-too-shabby library.

You are correct, the "Doc Holliday" or "Tombstone" rig (as it has come to be known), bears no resemblance to anything in Packing Iron, if I recall correctly. My temptation is to say that it is just another Hollywood creation, but I will withhold that pronouncement for the time being.

Perhaps someone can provide provenance for the above contraption...er....outfit.. If so, I shall gladly stand humbly corrected.

Lest anyone misunderstand, these style shoulder rigs are very popular and are typically very well made. I say this so as not to cast any aspersion toward any who make/market such items. I think Pancho's question here is simply one of authenticity to the pre-1900 Old West period.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Major 2

I'd agree with Pancho and Dave.... I have not found such either..
The Texas style would date in the latter 1870's, the skeliton rig there after, say mid to late ninties ...
There is a vest style I think shown in PI ..my copy is not near by right now,
with 2  single shot percussion pistols that dates around 1835 so the idea was not new.

The so call Holliday, Huckelberry rig would be later in the 1900's maybe as late as 1920's
I not found any reference to that style earlier.
when planets align...do the deal !

Pancho Peacemaker

While searching the "back pages" last night, I did find this period photo:

Close up:

The poster indicated the photo was from Montana, 1890's.

Any comments?
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

Irish Dave

My first-blush comment is that that guy is a dead-ringer for a fellow I went to high school with. His name was Byron. Sadly I believe he has since passed. Still, an uncanny resemblance. Actually I've seen that photo before just never paid much attention to the rig. Guess I was too startled by his face.

Second blush:

Interesting. I'll want to look at it some more. It does, however, look like a pouch-type rig with a circular strap that has been primarily slung over the head much like a bandoleer. Can't see any of the other straps or attachments in the photo, so it's pretty hard to tell. More study needed.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Major 2

At first glance and following glance as well it appears to be sort of a bandoleer style
in that it is slung that way..I don't see a second strap or need for one, though it might be attached at the waist band ??

I have Texas style in the making that copies one from 1878

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: Major 2 on July 19, 2011, 03:11:57 PM
..I don't see a second strap or need for one, though it might be attached at the waist band ??

To draw from that holster, it would seen that it needs something attaching the toe to the waist band.  Otherwise, the holster would ride with the revolver when drawn.

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

Major 2

I meant a second body wrap strap... it may well have a tie down of some sort to the waist line of the chaps

ZVP

I have a "Texas-Style" (As shown in Packing Iron) and it DOES ride-up with the draw.
My solution was to run a rawhide loop through the bottom of the Holster and loop it to the waist belt, or you could add a Stud to panta without a belt...
Thhe Holster carries my .357 4 5/8" Vaquero very comfortablly. It's by no means a "Speed-Rig", but you can skin leather pretty quick with a bit of pratice! Mainly, the gun is hidden and out of the way of everything. SHooting a rifle is no problem with this style of Holster. Pratice using the holster is the key.
It's just different enough to be intresting,  like it!
ZVP

Cliff Fendley

Pancho, I believe that one in the picture is more of a bandolier than like the Holliday Rig.

I've made several rigs you wear in the same fashion except with a removeable holster that myself and many others use for hunting. You are correct in that it needs to be attached at the waist in order to keep the holster from riding up. At least you would want it that way for CAS.

Here are some done with snaps which are not period but you get the idea. Obviously you would need to use buckles on yours.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/Modern.htm

I wish I could see an even clearer view of the rig pictured to better tell how it is constructed.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Cliff, that is a great design, and could work well for period guns as well, you did a beautiful job putting this all together, and thanks for sharing.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Kid Terico

Here are a couple that Ten Wolfs made for me and are as functional as you could hope for. I wear them every day with my conceiled weapons permit. Very comfortable. The design he has I would not make one change on it. Carry it ten hours at a time with no discomfort. KT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com