Shotgun shell belt slide

Started by mrappe, July 16, 2011, 11:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrappe

I have made belts and holsters but never a slide for shotgun shells. Doest anyone know where I can find a pattern for one?
God is fluxing me which is good but it is not fun.

outrider

Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Long Juan

Might I get a PM also?  I have made my first holster and first sheath.  I am working on a Ranger belt for my grandson.  Was thinking a shotgun slide might have to be next project.  Any advice, much appreicated. 
CAPT John (Long Juan) Soule
Texican Rangers, Fredericksburg, Texas
Plum Creek Shooting Society, Lockhart, Texas
SASS #84671 NCOWS #3322 STORM #368
GAF #737,  Department of Missouri, Division of Texas
www.tarryhollowgang.com

LoneRider

Hummmm I don't know anyone who uses a slide anymore! Around here it's all shotgun belts.
Happy Trails

Long Juan

Yep, I use a shotgun belt myself, but my grandson would like a slide.  At least for now, he says he does not want to wear a second belt. 
www.tarryhollowgang.com

Slowhand Bob

Here are some I was playing with some time back. Hope they help and you might do a couple of variable word searches to find more.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,29223.0.html

Long Juan

Thanks Slowhand.  For some reason, my search had not found that thread.  The discussion is very helpful.  I will see what I can do when I finish the belt project discussed in other threads. 
www.tarryhollowgang.com

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

And, There is this thread with some very valuable measurements, and sewing techniques;

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,9631.0.html
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Slowhand Bob

Remember that weight of leather must be considered in the pattern layout dimensions, be sure the pattern reflects the same weight leather you are using.  It will vary from crafter to crafter but I use 2-4oz for 22 & 32 cartridges, 4-5oz for larger pistol size cartridges, 6-7oz for shotgun singles and 8-9oz for dbls & pouches.  Over time my leather preferences for cart loops have gotten thicker but still fall in the middle of common, I think.

mrappe

Quote from: LoneRider on July 18, 2011, 11:07:36 AM
Hummmm I don't know anyone who uses a slide anymore! Around here it's all shotgun belts.
I will probably make a belt instead of a slide. It was supposed to be a generic question since I had not seen any patters for either. I need one for my wife and the belt that I am currently using useing has some problems.

Slowhand Bob

Personally I like the belt much better but a few do still seem to like slides, specially since Wild Bunch has become popular (think they start loaded and load fewer on the clock).  Though no one has shown a sample, simple double loops seem to be the easiest and most common way to make the belts.  Pouches take much more time and I do not see any real advantage, other than appearance.  I'm sure there are a lot of ways to do dbl loops but here is one,  figure on 1" wide loop material cut from 8/9oz leather and sew it on with the top about 1/2" below the top of the belts edge.  Sew on a thick shot shell stopper strap along the bottom edge of the double loops for their entire length.  If you check a few commercial sites you should see some good pictures to use as a guide to better describe what I am talking about.  They are pretty simple to do and the main thing is to space things so that the shells stick well above the belt top for a quick grab when loading by feel, they do not want to have to look for the shells.

One last thought, I have seen some add what looks like the same stopper strap but at the top of the loops also and this does cause the shells to tip out and away from the belt BUT I am not sure that this is legal??  If the shooter is planning to use it for a big time SASS match, where things are more closely observed, I would definitely look into it.  Anyone here know for sure?

In PACKING IRON there is a picture of a Mexican gunbelt with a double chape and a centre piece that was decorated.  I thought I'd put that centre piece to good use.  When changing uses, one could create a new frontpiece, for example, with loops for buffalo rifle ammo.

Long Juan

Outrider, shotgun slide pattern arrived today.  Thanks very much.  Grandson will use a commercial slide I have from days past for the next couple of matches.  Plan to make him one of our own making and will be using your pattern when we do.  Thanks very much. 
www.tarryhollowgang.com

mrappe

Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on July 28, 2011, 09:49:17 AM
In PACKING IRON there is a picture of a Mexican gunbelt with a double chape and a centre piece that was decorated.  I thought I'd put that centre piece to good use.  When changing uses, one could create a new frontpiece, for example, with loops for buffalo rifle ammo.
Which page? I have the book.

Quote from: mrappe on July 30, 2011, 04:15:08 AM
Which page? I have the book.

Page 130.  Easy to miss as the body of the holster covers most of the front panel.  Beautiful pititado embroidery, which I was unable to reproduce!  I elongated the front panel to gain enough space for a stage worth of shells. I don't think this would pass NCOWS.  I saw an old Kirk Douglas western where he uses a double-chape belt behind which he concealed a double derringer.

mrappe

Quote from: Long Juan on July 29, 2011, 10:14:40 PM
Outrider, shotgun slide pattern arrived today.  Thanks very much.  Grandson will use a commercial slide I have from days past for the next couple of matches.  Plan to make him one of our own making and will be using your pattern when we do.  Thanks very much. 

I just got mine in the mail today. Thanks Outrider! I appreciate it very much.

JD Alan

From my experience anything Outrider sends you is outstanding.

Having said that another option is Jim R Simmons, AKA Brazos Jack. He has a book and a pattern pack available with a shotgun slide plus a whole lot of other stuff.

Hide Crafter was carrying his products; don't know if they still are or even if they're still around, since I got this several years ago.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Johnny McCrae

Thought I'd throw my two cents worth in.

I started out using a Shotgun Belt. Several years later I made a Shotgun Slide for a friend. I was not happy how it turned out and ended up remaking it. I happened to try out the reject Shotgun Slide myself and really liked it. The Shotgun Slide also has Cartridge loops on it. I use the Shotgun Slide for SASS events and the Shotgun Belt for NCOWS events. Both work just fine IMHO.

I've also made a Belt for a Holster that has both Shotgun and Cartridge loops on it.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Reverend

Howdy,

The patterns that I have are from Brazos Jacks Patterns. Single Action Accessories. I picked them up from him years ago at the Sass Convention. Shotshell slide,Bullet Caddy, Badge Holder & bullet slide

Rev
Sass 57116 L
Territorial Gov.
Tulsey Town Cattlemens Assoc.
NRA
GOFWG #215
ROI
ROII

Kid Terico

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com