1851 conversions and sights - no need for dovetail front sight!

Started by Pony Racer, July 10, 2011, 08:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pony Racer

I just thought I would post my observations with 1851 conversions.

I have a set of 1851 full length barrel gated cylinder conversions and a set of 1851 conversions cut down to 5 inch with the older conversions with the back plate (with a firing pin per chamber). The ramming levers are left on both sets.

Both of these sets are lined for 38 special ammunition & I use a 158 grain bullet in front of 1.0 cc's 2f Schuetzen or Diamond Back powder.

The first conversions, I forgot to order the dovetail front sight - simply an oversight...but what I have found is the dovetail is not needed at all.

Both sets of pistols shoot point of aim with the original sights and the full length barrel ones actuallu shoot point of aim well past typical SASS rifle target range (I just have not had the opportunity to test out the 5 inches put past typical SASS range yet).

Anyway - my point here is that the dovetail sight is not needed at all for the conversions and i actually prefer the look of the orginal sights.

Heck if nothing else not buying the dovetail sights saves you 150.00 on a set of pistols!

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Fox Creek Kid

Consider yourself fortunate. I have owned ONE '51 Navy that shot POA with the brass bead. The law of averages says you have used up all your OEM sight luck.  :D ;)

Pony Racer

OEM luck and a darn good gunsmith who made sure the lined barrels stay true and centered in the conversion process!:)

Interestingly enough the guns shot a little high before the conversion process - shooting round ball out of the C/B cylinders at SASS ranges.

My first conversions we could not test out until the VA State match, we tested them out on side match friday and I shot them all weekend.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com