True Ivory,,who all here

Started by Marshal Deadwood, July 07, 2011, 04:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Deadwood

Who amongest us open top lovers has dressed their irons in tru-ivory ? That stuff looks great, and like the real deal,but is it reasonably tough ?  I'm on the verge of having them put on one of my '71ot's,,that is as soon as i have no doubts about it's wear'ability.

Thanks gents

MD

Raven

If you can't afford the real thing....Tru Ivory is the only option IMO

We send a lot of guns to Bar S Grips. They do exellent work and I believe thier product is very durable.
If you send them the gun they install the grips for free...and it looks like a factory job, unlike most of the plastic grips we see.

Raven

Marshal Deadwood

Thanks , Raven. I probably will call the folks tomorrow.

They say send the grip frame on their site but it's better to send the entire revolver ?

MD

Abilene

No need to send the entire gun.  I have seen a lot of Cimarrons with Tru-Ivory grips and about 99% of the time they do a great job.  Here's mine: http://www.davidscottharper.com/photos/Engr_RMs.jpg - It's hard to get the grain in the grip to show up in a photo but if you look at the grip on the left in that photo at full resolution you can see the grain a little.

Raven

I prefer to send a stripped revolver frame and the grip straps then I know it will be 100% right.

Raven

RebHolister

I have their grips on an 1860.  They look good, fit good, and feel great.  I sent my frame in and had them fit them.
I highly recommend.  I went with the slightly aged.

Raven

The slightly aged look really good.......my favorite ;D

Raven

Pettifogger

Quote from: Abilene on July 07, 2011, 09:40:11 PM
No need to send the entire gun.  I have seen a lot of Cimarrons with Tru-Ivory grips and about 99% of the time they do a great job.  Here's mine: http://www.davidscottharper.com/photos/Engr_RMs.jpg - It's hard to get the grain in the grip to show up in a photo but if you look at the grip on the left in that photo at full resolution you can see the grain a little.

Wow Abilene, those look GREAT.

Marshal Deadwood

If i removed the cylinder, barrel and the old grips, and send the gun thus, would i be illegal to mail directly to them ?

Thanks again

MD

Mako

MD,
The frame is the "firearm," but the good news is that you can legally send it to a licensed dealer or gunsmith and they can return it to you.  Send the stripped frame and grip as Raven suggested.

You can't mail your frame via US mail,  the US Postal Service will accept only long guns or Curios & Relics handguns manufactured before 1898.  However Fedex will accept handguns and long guns.  UPS accepts shipments of handguns and long guns at their Customer Centers. Tell the counter person that you are shipping your firearm or parts to a licensed FFL dealer for repairs.  The frame can then be sent directly back to your home address.

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Marshal Deadwood

Thanks, Mako, that information makes it easier.
Abilene. those are some kick butt revolvers !

MD

Marshal Deadwood

Now my cross-roads is this,,,,,,,,,,,,Richard Mason or Open Top.

The woes of having two wonderful revolvers.......:)

Oh, I'll eventually I tihnk end up doing both.

From what I see of Tru-Ivory,,I know I personally would be hard pressed to distinguish between them and real elephant.

MD

Raven

The amazing thing is they are actualy getting the grain that real ivory has.

The only way I can tell is when I have a piece of real ivory to compare ;D

Marshal Deadwood

Abilene. what you got is exactly what I want,,,what 'color grade' did you request ?

Thank you

MD

Marshal Deadwood

Tried several times to call Bar S today and answering machine was all I got. Expecting a call from them when they get my message. I 'think' the slightly aged would be what would suit me most. And I think I shall have them installed first on my Richards-Mason and do the OT when I have mo' funds.

MD

Abilene

Marshall, my grips are "Stage 2" or "slightly aged".

Unless something has changed recently, Bar-S does not have an FFL and cannot be shipped a firearm directly.  I think there is an FFL that can receive guns for them, but you will need to talk to them to verify this and get the shipping info.

Crow Choker

How do the grips from 'Gripmaker' compare. Anyone ever 'slap' them on your 'Roscoe'/'Heater' (Deputy Barney Fife 'ism')!!
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

River City John

Quote from: Crow Choker on July 09, 2011, 11:11:33 AM
How do the grips from 'Gripmaker' compare. Anyone ever 'slap' them on your 'Roscoe'/'Heater' (Deputy Barney Fife 'ism')!!

I have them on both my '63 Remington and my Whitney. Excellent product, and can be aged.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Raven

Swamp Mouse,

There is no reason to be embarassed if you cant afford them!

They are in business to sell grips. Call them and talk about what your looking for and if they are out of your price range tell them you have to save your pennies and you'll get back to them.

Raven

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com