Something new from EMF

Started by Harley Starr, July 05, 2011, 12:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pettifogger

They had it at EOT.  Interesting, but somewhat heavy as there is a lot of metal in that long cylinder.  It's a smooth bore so I'm not sure what uses it would be suitable for other than as conversation piece.

StrawHat

A black powder version of the Governor or Judge.  It has about the same appeal to me as the newer ones so that means there will be more for others to buy.   
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

Coffinmaker

A rather interesting solution to a ...... problem that doesn't exist??  No front sight and smooth bore make it an extreme close quarters weapon.  It might serve as a "snake" gun, but .36 is an awfully small shotgun. 
Well ...... OK.  A somewhat unusual but functional paper weight.  Expensive paper weight :P

Coffinmaker

Major 2

when planets align...do the deal !

Forty Rod

Looks about as practical as a barb wire jock strap.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Forty Rod

Looks about as practical as a barb wire jock strap.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Fox Creek Kid

The foundation for the world's first '51 Navy "long cylinder" conversion!!  ;D :D ;)  Maybe it could chamber .357 Maximum!!  :o ;)

Harley Starr

Just as I thought, a novelty item of the first order-no pun intended.
A work in progress.

River City John

Hope those frame pins are good and tight in the frame. First test firing might be sending them forward from the recoil.

As an aside, this is what deals NCOWS fits.
Someone is going to get one of these because they think it looks 'wicked cool!', then not understand that " . . . a modern version of what a gunsmith put together out of spare parts . . ." does not mean it's historically accurate.
(Why can't I shoot it?!? The makers say right on their website gunsmiths did this, so even if there is no documentation, they must have existed.) ;)
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Raven

I've seen several originals in collections....usualy done to a 49 as a hide away gun. But I have seen a 51 done this way.

QuoteAs an aside, this is what deals NCOWS fits.
Someone is going to get one of these because they think it looks 'wicked cool!', then not understand that " . . . a modern version of what a gunsmith put together out of spare parts . . ." does not mean it's historically accurate.

Who made the rule that if the factory didn't do it it's not historicaly correct? ???

IMO to be "Historicaly Correct" it should use the standard cylinder.......not much of a hide away gun with that long cylinder.

Coffinmaker

But ......... Wicked KOOL ....... certainly does apply.  Would be fun to play with just to see if I could hit anything with it.  We must remember, with one notable, documented exception (maybe more), gunfights historically, and thru the modern day took/take place inside 10 yards.  More like 7 FEET.  If I missed at that range, I'd just use if for a CLUB!!
NCOWS in my NSHO, are full of ......... I better not go there ::)

And another thing .......... With a few brass accessories it would be wicked KOOL steampunk!!  Oh I think I like it :o

Coffinmaker

Reverend P. Babcock Chase

Howdy Pepperboxers,

I'm not sure this number is "way cool". As has been suggested, one built on a standard cylinder would be "way cooler". Plus, how does one load that thing. Forcing in an over-sized ball with no lever would be a bear and would required a custom loading device. All things considered, I'm last in line for one of these.

Reverend Chase

John Smith

I'm confused, is this just a "long cylinder" that you put on an existing '51, or a complete firearm?  How do you secure the "cylinder" to the frame?

Crow Choker

I'll put it simple--think EMF is peddlin' a HOJ, ie. 'Hunk Of Junk'!!!!!!!!!!! Might appeal to some who are on the lookout for the weird and something no one else has. Might make for interesting talk at a shoot, but for $300 green ones, I'd rather 'lay em down' for something more practicial. Wonder how long EMF or Cabela's, or some other business will advertise them as being carried by Jesse James, Cole Younger, Billy the Kid, or some other Old West character? I give this thing my two thumbs and  two big toes 'thumbs and toes down'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Galloway

Well thats a disapointment. Doesnt anyone tool up for production anymore? I'd be all over one if it was a typical roundbutt dao style.

Claypipe

Quote from: Ridgway Texican Ranger on July 05, 2011, 12:14:31 AM
http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1851-Pepperbox-c310.htm

A while back, while at a local gun show, I saw an original 1851 Colt Navy that had been converted into a pepperbox. The cylinder pin was shortened and had a large head screw to hold the cylinder in place. Also, the frame was shortened to match the length of the cylinder. It was a neat coat pocket size six shooter. Sadly, I didn't have $450 to spare for it.

While quite the novelty, the EMF piece just doesn't have the same appeal to me. It looks too muzzle heavy and awkward to me.

CP
Vergiss nie heimat wo deine Wiege stand Du findest in der fremde kein zweites heimalland

Never forget home where your cradle was. You won't find a second home country in a foreign country

RickB

Quote from: Coffinmaker on July 05, 2011, 06:07:35 PM

NCOWS in my NSHO, are full of ......... I better not go there ::)

If it's better not to go there, why throw the insult out there in the first place?

If you don't like NCOWS rules then don't shoot with us. Simple as that. Some of us like the rules to keep the authenticity, and not look like a bunch of b-western or steam punk players.

But that's just my opinion.  :P
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

River City John

Quote from: Crow Choker on July 06, 2011, 09:10:55 AM
I'll put it simple--think EMF is peddlin' a HOJ, ie. 'Hunk Of Junk'!!!!!!!!!!! Might appeal to some who are on the lookout for the weird and something no one else has. Might make for interesting talk at a shoot, but for $300 green ones, I'd rather 'lay em down' for something more practicial. Wonder how long EMF or Cabela's, or some other business will advertise them as being carried by Jesse James, Cole Younger, Billy the Kid, or some other Old West character? I give this thing my two thumbs and  two big toes 'thumbs and toes down'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhh! A wise man.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Qball

WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com