Moly coating for gun parts?

Started by Bugscuffle, July 02, 2011, 09:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bugscuffle

I don't remember where i saw it, but I recall someone suggesting the use of moly coating, the molybdenum based coating powder used on bullets, to lubricate the moving parts of CAS guns. Has anyone here tried it, and if so, how did it work? My first though is that it would make a mell of a hess inside the action, but then again it might just lubricate the whole thing. I have used powdered graphite when in deep cold weather training in the Army. It worked great and the action never froze up because the oil was thick as tar, but then again, not too many CAS shoots are done in -40 Farenheit temperatures.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

maldito gringo

I have used KG-10 dry moly lube and it seems to work very well. It is powdered moly in a carrier solvent. You paint it on, the solvent evaporates, and you are left with a gray film of moly. As the parts mate, the moly works it's way down into the metal, so with repeated use the parts need lubing less often. They also make KG-8 which is the same idea, only using powdered teflon. Works well also. These lubes are incompatable with petro oils and grease, so you will need to clean the metal completely with denatured alcohol to remove any residue oil film. I have not noticed any tendency of these lubes to shed powder or make a mess, they seem to stay pretty much where they are put. I also like Dillon's "Snake oil" products. These are non-petroleum lubes, I believe they are basically the same lubes used in high speed surgical drills and such.

Fox Creek Kid

Total overkill IMO. Modern "ultra" lubes made with esters are great for Glocks, SIGs, AR's, 1911's, etc., however they are not needed for CAS shooting unless you have a Gatling gun. Lube the innards with Ballistol and they will stay lubed for the season. You should be doing a COMPLETE tear down at least once if not twice a season for cleaning & internal lubing.

Coffinmaker

Well, I have two arguments.  One, I also think moly coat for internal gunparts is unnecessary.  I don't even think it't convenient.  If your shooting 32-20, 38-40 or 44-40, you probably don't need to do a lot of extensive cleaning in the action.  Even with BP. 
If however your shooting any of the straight wall cases, 38Spl, .44 Russian/.44Colt/.44Spl or .45, you'll need to get into the action parts at least every other match.  Blow-By is the culprit.  That requires some cleaning to keep the rifle functioning.  I've found nothing better for cleaning than Break Free and simple lubes are the best.  Light oils like RemOil and other light or "gun" oils.  If, incidentally, you shoot Trail Boss, you'll find it doesn't interact well with petroleium based lubes.  I'd suggest Boeshield.
Personally, I've found no use for Balistol other than to soften stiff leather boots and shoes.  As a gun oil, it actually SUCKS.  Just get a little moisture on it sometime.  Make a pistol handle slicker than snot on a door knob.  If you need a good BP cleaner, try equal parts Alcohol, Murphy's Oil Soap and Hydrogen Peroxide.  Almost as good as soap and water.

Coffinmaker

wildman1

I'm glad you added "almost as good as soap and water" I've used about every thing ya can use ta clean my BP guns, the best I've found is a small amount of Murphy's Oil soap and water. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

wildman1

BS I'm not sure that molly stuff is PC.  ::) WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: Coffinmaker on July 05, 2011, 05:59:31 PM...Personally, I've found no use for Balistol other than to soften stiff leather boots and shoes.  As a gun oil, it actually SUCKS...

Don't sugarcoat it, Coffinmaker!!  ;D :D ;)

I agree that Ballistol is not THE best, BUT I like it because it's cheap and more importantly, it is safe to use in that it won't turn your gonads green. That may not be improtant to an ol' duffer like Coffinmaker but I gotta lot of good lovin' left in me yet!!  :D ;)

Delmonico

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on July 07, 2011, 07:08:24 PM

Don't sugarcoat it, Coffinmaker!!  ;D :D ;)

I agree that Ballistol is not THE best, BUT I like it because it's cheap and more importantly, it is safe to use in that it won't turn your gonads green. That may not be improtant to an ol' duffer like Coffinmaker but I gotta lot of good lovin' left in me yet!!  :D ;)

Most of us avoid spilling it on our gonads or cleaning the same with the stuff we use to clean our guns, unless it's soap and water. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Bugscuffle

Green??? Heck, I'm not sure what color they are now!
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com