Video - Shooting the .577 Snider British sporting rifle

Started by Bottom Dealin Mike, June 25, 2011, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bottom Dealin Mike

In this video we're shooting an 1860s vintage British sporting rifle chambered for the .577 Snider cartridge. Imagine shooting a long range side match with this.  ;D

Mason Stillwell

Mike
A Pard( Canada Bill ) over here has one the he used to bring to shoots. He had brass hulls for it and if memory serves he cast the boolit.
I did shoot it . It was fun to shoot.

Also Great Video you did . Thank You

Mason ;D
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Pony Racer

My Martini action converted to single shot 12 guage is always a fan favorite when i shot it at Cowboy matches!

It may be slow as snot but it sure is fun and makes for an extrememly accurate single shot 12 guage.

V/r

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Oregon Bill

Mike: I used to run Sniders. They're a hoot for sure. The Minie mold you wants is the special run RCBS .592. It will give you far better performance. That said, the Sniders are a lot of fun with round balls.
I have had the Mark II* with 1:78 twist and the five-groove Mark III with 1:48 (if I recall correctly) and the Mark III barrel and action are the most desirable of the Snider variants from both a strength and accuracy standpoint.
By the way, you'' recognize Snider carbines from the scene in "Quigley Down Under" when the British soldiers aim at Quigley, just before the Aborigines appear and scare them all away.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

I have a Snider Mark III rifle in fairly good shape, but certainly not pristine.  When I got it I call ed Kerry Jenkinson in Grand Forks BC.  he supplied me with a set of NDFS loading dies, shell holder, 25 NDFS cases, and a custom LEE mould for a 500 grain .592 solid base bullet.  I have only fired a handful of rounds with an RCBS  minie bullet to fireform cases.  Now that BDM made his video I'll have to load a few LEE bullets and report.

Kerry Jenkinson was trained at Enfield and still sellls a few components for odd and old rounds.  He doesn't have a website but PM me for a phone number.  He is a font of knowledge for old British stuff.  (His first shotgun was a pinfire, and he can tell you how to alter plastic cases to pinfire.)

I think the guy who was NDFS retired and may have passed on. His stuff doesn't seem to be available anymore.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Fox Creek Kid

Bottom Dealin Mike

Sir Charles,

Here is my video on reloading the .577 Snider cartridge.

I currently have a custom .590" solid base mold on order from Mountain Molds, and I just ordered a .585" Challenger Minie mold from Dixie Gun Works....$10 on close out...

The reloading video shows my three different techniques for loading the .577 Snider round:

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

BDM;  Thanks for that reloading video.  The 24 ga. case is almost historic, as the first cases were paper like current paper shotshells.  Also, thanks for the tip on loading the bullet in the fireformed case followed by a slight neck sizing.  Off to my reloading set-up!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com