Previous topic - Next topic

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Any you guys ever make Bucking Rolls?
TIA,
Duke

litl rooster

Mathew 5.9

Freedom

Yeah Duke, I've made quite a few pairs... They can be a little challenging..LOL Stuffing them up hard enough takes some time. It seems that you can stuff half a sheep into a pair of them ;D I know guys that say that they are easy to make (but theirs usually look like :-\ ::)

I know that weaver sells a kit/pieces from Jerimiah Watt... Not sure how well it works cause I haven't used it but I think it would be hard to get the welts to look right since they are made with a solid foam insert... I know that the finished ones pictured in there catalog shows that the welts didn't come out too great.

I have an account so I can have the kit drop-shipped if you want to try it... Not sure the cost but PM me if you want to try this route.

The tandy pattern pack is not too bad and it is pretty cheap.

There are a few tricks that can make things easier, One that I have found is to sew your chap pouches into the frames and then a second stitch to sew your frame to the base...this will keep your stitches intact a lot better when you stuff the rolls.

www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Quote from: Freedom on June 13, 2011, 12:21:08 AM
Yeah Duke, I've made quite a few pairs... They can be a little challenging..LOL Stuffing them up hard enough takes some time. It seems that you can stuff half a sheep into a pair of them ;D I know guys that say that they are easy to make (but theirs usually look like :-\ ::)

I know that weaver sells a kit/pieces from Jerimiah Watt... Not sure how well it works cause I haven't used it but I think it would be hard to get the welts to look right since they are made with a solid foam insert... I know that the finished ones pictured in there catalog shows that the welts didn't come out too great.

I have an account so I can have the kit drop-shipped if you want to try it... Not sure the cost but PM me if you want to try this route.

The tandy pattern pack is not too bad and it is pretty cheap.

There are a few tricks that can make things easier, One that I have found is to sew your chap pouches into the frames and then a second stitch to sew your frame to the base...this will keep your stitches intact a lot better when you stuff the rolls.

Thanks Freedom. I wasn't sure what they were filled with.

Freedom

Horse hair is the traditional filller...but most guys use wool trimmings cause we have so much on hand after making a saddle. The wool really packs in there and kind of felts together into a solid mass.
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

TwoWalks Baldridge

At a recent event, I used a dutch oven to bake for the first time.

One of the women folk there was heard to say " These Bucking Rolls is terrible ".  So I guess, sorta, I have been known to make a few bucking rolls.  Mine might have been even better if they had been stuffed and a couple of pards might even have mentioned stuffing them rolls.   ;D
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Marshal Will Wingam

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Biscuit Joe

Duke here is a pair I made using the Jeremiah Watt fillers. His new fillers have a groove cut into them to help keep the welt straight. I cut the groove in these before I knew he was doing it. I like them, and will be using his fillers in the future on the next two saddles at least.

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Quote from: Biscuit Joe on June 19, 2011, 12:07:44 PM
Duke here is a pair I made using the Jeremiah Watt fillers. His new fillers have a groove cut into them to help keep the welt straight. I cut the groove in these before I knew he was doing it. I like them, and will be using his fillers in the future on the next two saddles at least.

Those are really nice Joe.

Biscuit Joe

Thanks Duke.

This pair is actually a pair of 2'nds (flawed) I have left over.
I like the J Watt stuffing quite a bit, and after working around a few pair that were made with other stuffing, I  have come to like the J. Watt stuffing quite a bit more.
I do wish they were just a smidgen bigger though. Not much, but just a little bit larger.
They are only around $14.00 a pair for the stuffing. I sell them for between $60.00 and $100.00 for special leather. Works for me.

Joe

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Quote from: Biscuit Joe on June 20, 2011, 12:07:28 AM
Thanks Duke.

This pair is actually a pair of 2'nds (flawed) I have left over.
I like the J Watt stuffing quite a bit, and after working around a few pair that were made with other stuffing, I  have come to like the J. Watt stuffing quite a bit more.
I do wish they were just a smidgen bigger though. Not much, but just a little bit larger.
They are only around $14.00 a pair for the stuffing. I sell them for between $60.00 and $100.00 for special leather. Works for me.

Joe

Thanks again Joe...  http://www.ranch2arena.com/buckrollforms.html
Are they like a rock hard plastic?

Biscuit Joe

Duke the inserts are semi firm, but not hard  plastic.

I apologize for making earlier posts to this thread that might have offended someone in regards to my explanation to Dukes question.

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Quote from: Biscuit Joe on June 21, 2011, 01:07:40 AM
Duke the inserts are semi firm, but not hard  plastic.

I apologize for making earlier posts to this thread that might have offended someone in regards to my explanation to Dukes question.
I'm always in trouble no matter where I go.

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com