BP powder measure a potential bomb?

Started by Pentz, June 08, 2011, 02:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pentz

I've used my Lyman BP measure and a drop tube for some time on my 71 and 71/84 rifle loads, but in reading Venturino's book he mentioned the epiphany he had facing a tube of BP and moving to dip-charging.  I must admit the idea of a tube of BP letting to in my face is not attractive.  I can make a suitable dipper out of brass for my 45 Colt to use with the drop tube with no trouble, but what do y'all think of Venturino's concern?  I'm certainly in no position to criticize him, and after all, nothing wrong with safety....

Pulp

Like you and the Iron Duke, I would not want even a few ounces of black powder flashing right in my face.  Bomb? Absolutely not.  Burn hazard? Absolutely yes.  There's a lot of talk back and forth on whether BP will ignite from static.  Many say NO, most say possible, and a few say YES.  I've seen the video of the static generator throwing a big arc into a pile of BP and nothing happened.  I've also seen on Mythbusters where they ignited BP with static.  So I've seen it both ways, one way worked, the other way didn't.  On the Mythbusters show they were using a spark plug, which throws a very hot spark compared to most static sparks.

It is my understanding that an aluminum or brass powder hopper and an aluminum or brass drop tube will eliminate the possiblity of a static discharge. 
2004  Badlands Bar 3 Four States Champion, Frontiersman
(I was the only one there)

WWCAS (World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter)

Delmonico

Wiki is a better referance source than Mythbusters. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Fox Creek Kid

I shoot large BPCR rifles and I WEIGH all my charges for that purpose. I use an electronic scale. I just consider it part of the process. I can actually do it pretty fast and I know that all my charges are exactly the same.

Mako

Quote from: Delmonico on June 08, 2011, 03:46:57 PM
Wiki is a better referance source than Mythbusters. ::)

Del,
That is truly funny and most people won't even realize you were making a double poke at two questionable sources.

Hey, I've missed you, where have you been?  And I like your new picture...Not the one tending the fire.

Your friend,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Mako

Pulp,
A spark plug is not a source of STATIC electricity, it is energized by an actively charged source.

You have obviously noticed that Adam and Jamie won't give up until they can make something blow up.

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: Mako on June 08, 2011, 04:32:06 PM...You have obviously noticed that Adam and Jamie won't give up until they can make something blow up.

~Mako

Except Great White sharks.  ;)

Cuts Crooked

Seems like another suitable place fer this gif.........

Here's the deal on the static controversy:

No one...not ever....has proven a static related explosion of BP. (yes... even the myth busters "experiment" was not truly static related) Unexplained explosions are nearly always blamed on static...but it cannot be PROVEN that static was the culprit. By it's very nature, the evidence is not available for examination afterwards...so  it gets blamed when there APPEARS to be no other source of ignition.

Bottom line: our ancestors used BP for centuries  and when they had a boomer, they didn't blame static. (yeah they didn't know about it either  ;) ) Black powder is explosive...it can go boom under many conditions....static may be one of them. But the likelihood of it going off from static is in the slim to none category. Since BP is a dangerous substance we take precautions as we feel the need. If you can't cope with the possibility, however remote, of BP going Nuke over a static charge, then perhaps this isn't the game for you. I would hate to see somebody give up or avoid BP shooting because they feel that way, but it would probably be for the best all around.

...ok I'm done now. :-X
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Pentz

I was just askin' ya know??? ::)
As a kid on the ranch back in the 1950s-early 1960s I used pounds and pounds in my replica Navy 1860s without any issue, using a powder flask too boot.  Since Duke wrote it I thought no harm in askin....now back to my BP-specific powder measure and drop tube......

Pony Racer

Pentz I use lee dippers for loading all my bp cowboy ammo and bp long range guns. i think the lee dipper kit still goes for around 10.00 and it is easily one of the best buys i have ever spent money on - got mine on sale for 5.00.

As Kid says it takes a bit more time measuring out each scoop (i don't weigh them though) - but i like spending time at my bench and can still do a couple hundred in about 90 minutes.

The cool thing i have found is that my measure for 38 spl BP rounds is same measure i use for my 44 russian BP rounds. The same measure i have used for my 12 guage loads makes an awesome load for my 43 spanish 1879 Roller.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Driftwood Johnson

QuoteIt is my understanding that an aluminum or brass powder hopper and an aluminum or brass drop tube will eliminate the possiblity of a static discharge. 

Howdy

That is incorrect. The brass rotor inside a Black Powder powder measure eliminates the possibility of mechanical sparking. Ferrous metals like iron or steel can cause sparks when they strike each other. That is a hot spark, no different than the spark made when flint hits steel. It will ignite Black Powder. Brass striking iron or steel will not cause a spark. Has nothing at all to do with static discharge.

I keep getting my butt whipped when I mention that I believe under the right circumstances it is remotely possible to ignite Black Powder with a static spark, so I won't mention it.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Cuts Crooked

Quote from: Driftwood Johnson on June 09, 2011, 07:00:32 AM

I keep getting my butt whipped when I mention that I believe under the right circumstances it is remotely possible to ignite Black Powder with a static spark, so I won't mention it.

Driftwood,

I will not rule out the possibility that static can ignite BP, I just believe that normal human reloading activity doing so is unlikely to the point of near impossibility.

Anyone wanna guess what would happen if lightning hits a quantity of BP? And if I reccomember correktly lightning is just one hellofa big static spark! :o
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Delmonico

Quote from: Cuts Crooked on June 09, 2011, 08:23:39 AM
Driftwood,

I will not rule out the possibility that static can ignite BP, I just believe that normal human reloading activity doing so is unlikely to the point of near impossibility.

Anyone wanna guess what would happen if lightning hits a quantity of BP? And if I reccomember correktly lightning is just one hellofa big static spark! :o

You remember correct Cuts.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: Cuts Crooked on June 09, 2011, 08:23:39 AM...Anyone wanna guess what would happen if lightning hits a quantity of BP? And if I reccomember correktly lightning is just one hellofa big static spark! :o

I have an old issue of "Man at Arms" magaine somewhere with a story of the Spencer on the Frontier and they make mention of a sentry carrying a Spencer carbine out West whereas a bolt of lightning struck the barrel and set off several ctgs. in the magazine in the buttstock. I believe he sustained serious injuries as well.

Delmonico

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on June 09, 2011, 05:28:01 PM
I have an old issue of "Man at Arms" magaine somewhere with a story of the Spencer on the Frontier and they make mention of a sentry carrying a Spencer carbine out West whereas a bolt of lightning struck the barrel and set off several ctgs. in the magazine in the buttstock. I believe he sustained serious injuries as well.

More than likely, but from the cartridges or the lightning or both? :o  I do think I've heard that story somewhere also, just cant remember where.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Short Knife Johnson

I'm thinking the sentry in the story would have been no better off if he was carrying a rake or a shovel.

fourfingersofdeath

Now that you have mentioned lightening, my late wife's great grandfather was a farmer/grazier in an area with a lot of exposed rock and lots of bad weather. He was struck by lightning twice and survived. Shocking bad luck!
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Delmonico

I've had several close calls but no real strike, my brother does not like it when the lightning is around and I put a hand on his shoulder and raise the other one high, seems he has never had but two close calls and I've always been close when it happened.   ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Dick Dastardly

Howdy Pentz,

You've been answered.  What you do, or don't do, depends on you.  You are playing a grown up sport with grown ups, mostly.  Take responsibility for your actions and load black powder as you are comfortable doing.

The number of people that have been blown up from static electricity setting off black powder while they were handloading ammo approaches zero.  Verified examples are so rare as to be considered statistically nonexistent.  But, if you fear the Holy Black, equip yourself and load at your comfort level.

Absolutely nothing you read here absolves you the responsibility of your own actions.  In other words, you load black powder at your own risk.  A word of comfort now.  I've loaded many thousands of rounds of black powder ammo for pistol, rifle and shotgun use.  I use MEC, LEE, Pacific, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady and other fine reloading equipment to load my black powder ammo.  I make NO concession for the type of powder I'm using other than volume.  Each piece of equipment in my loading lab is used exactly the SAME as if I were loading heathen fad smokeyless propellants.  I do this in complete comfort and safety.  Your methods, equipment and use are entirely up to you.

Life is ultimately deadly.  Make no effort to shorten it.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

wildman1

DD, I did not realize you were a philosiphizer. ;) WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com