brass tumblers

Started by Colt Fanning, June 03, 2011, 11:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colt Fanning

Howdy,
After several years of shooting without cleaning brass I am ready to get a cleaner.  I will be cleaning mainly 45 and 50 cal
blackpowder straightwall cases.  I gather from previous posts that the rotary with ceramic media or the new ultrasonic
methods are better than vibaratory with powder media.
Does anyone have any experience with the ultrasonic method and recommends a specific model (Lyman Rcbs) ?
If I went with a rotary rock tumbler would a 3 pound unit be big enough?
I was told that Cabelas stocks the ceramic media but I went to my local outlet and they had never heard of it.  Does anyone
have a cabelas product number?
Does anyone have any experience with the Thumler AR 12 or the Lortone 3A (cheaper)?

Regards
Colt

RickB

I don't know about the ultrasound models but I've always used a simple vibrating cleaner with corn cob media and it's never failed to clean up my brass ever.

I just dump about 100 rounds into it, turn it on and let it run for a day or so. It's quiet and no need to watch it as it works. When I go down to my loading bench I hear it running and shut it down. Empty out the media and brass. Sift it out to get the media apart from the brass and dang, clean brass.

I'm a believer in the motto KISS.  ;)
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Mako

Colt,
I have a Lortone QT12 and a older 3 pound model I guess is the equivalent of a 3A.  I don't use the 3 pound machine often but it works fine if you keep the full load to 3 pounds.  If you overload them you will burn the motor out.

Dick Dastardly has ceramic media for sale online.  You don't even have to waste gas:

http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.aspx?ItemID=2615f5ab-5224-4bd3-a6db-aed6175c2fb0

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Four Eyes Henry

I also have a Lortone QT12 and DD's media and a Berry vibratory that I use for drying and (final) polishing.
Rotary is the way to go IMO
DWSA #102
SASS  #16042
BDS    #2197

He will come to your house carrying a sixpack of goodwill and joy. The Reverend Horton Heat

http://www.youtube.com/user/foureyeshenry1

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com