Murphy's Mix (??) & Ballistol

Started by Grizhicks, June 02, 2011, 06:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizhicks

What is Murphy's Mix?

Do I need to order Ballistol? or should I be able to find in locally?

Thanks, Grizhicks
SASS #88761
GAF #760
STORM #362

"...against all enemies, foreign or domestic...  So help me God."

August

I have used Ballistol for several years now and I like it.  I mix it with water and spray away.

But, those days are coming to an end.  My wife -- who is very tolerant about seeing the kitchen turn into a cleaning, loading, staging, lubricating, etc. room -- has finally said to me that she cannot stand the smell of "that stuff" in the house.  So, it's gonna have to go.

I'm gonna move to Murphy's mix, which, as I understand it, is 1/3 Murphy's Oil, 1/3 Alcohol, and 1/3 Hydrogen Peroxide. 

It is really water that does all the work, so these "exotic" formulations are really just another form of entertainment, I suspect.

Jefro

Quote from: August on June 02, 2011, 07:15:56 AM
Murphy's mix, which, as I understand it, is 1/3 Murphy's Oil, 1/3 Alcohol, and 1/3 Hydrogen Peroxide. 

It is really water that does all the work, so these "exotic" formulations are really just another form of entertainment, I suspect.
What August said, most of us that use Murphy's Mix also use Ballistol after we have cleaned the guns to lube and protect them (spray, wipe, patch). Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Noz

Water to clean, Ballistol to get you to the next shoot.

Grizhicks

Thanks, Guys ....  I've found the Ballistol online, but can you generally find it locally?  What type store?  Thanks, Grizhicks
SASS #88761
GAF #760
STORM #362

"...against all enemies, foreign or domestic...  So help me God."

john boy

Quotebut can you generally find it locally?  What type store? 
Griz, any hardware store will have it.  Also Home depot or Lowes
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Mako

Quote from: john boy on June 02, 2011, 11:13:36 AM
Griz, any hardware store will have it.  Also Home depot or Lowes

Not Ballistol...
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

The Swede

I got my ballistol through a sewing machine supplier here in Canuckland. I mix 10 parts water with 1 part Ballistol (moosemilk). Straight Ballistol for lubing guns. I'll have to give that Murphy's Mix a go....

Swede

South Devon Cattleman

If you can't find Balistol there are other oils that you can use to lube and for rust prevention and many are better at it. Balistol doesn't really do the cleaning, water does the cleaning Balistol just mixes with water so it will leave oil behind when the water evaporates.
I use multi purpose Windex to clean and Break Free clp to lube and for rust prevention. I sometimes use Amsoil MP metal protectant to spray in the action.

joec

I've been using Gun Scrubber and lubing with CLP the same as I do for all my guns. Gun Scrubber has very little smell and is mostly alcohol and water. I know it dries pretty fast and no damage to anything I've used it on. I can get it at several gun stores here.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Cherokee Bodie

My wife said the same thing about the odor from Ballistol. I have not found a problem cleaning my TTN mule coach gun and a Pedersoli 10 gage percussion in a bucket of hot water and dish soap, rinse with hot water , dry and coat with Remington gun oil. Rifles and pistols I just dip an cleaning patch in the same hot water with dish soap , ring it out, run it through the piece and finish with the gun oil. seems to work fine. lot cheaper then black powder solvent at Outdoor World.
Anyone know if I will run into a problem in the long term with this method.
See ya when the smoke clears.
Cherokee Bodie

Quote from: August on June 02, 2011, 07:15:56 AM
I have used Ballistol for several years now and I like it.  I mix it with water and spray away.

But, those days are coming to an end.  My wife -- who is very tolerant about seeing the kitchen turn into a cleaning, loading, staging, lubricating, etc. room -- has finally said to me that she cannot stand the smell of "that stuff" in the house.  So, it's gonna have to go.

I'm gonna move to Murphy's mix, which, as I understand it, is 1/3 Murphy's Oil, 1/3 Alcohol, and 1/3 Hydrogen Peroxide. 

Driftwood Johnson

Yes Ballistol will clean BP fouling all by itself without any water. I have done it. But straight Ballistol is expensive, so it is much cheaper to dilute it with water. Ooops, Mako may be reading this. It is much cheaper to suspend the Ballistol in water.

The way I found Ballistol when I needed some was to call them up.

http://www.ballistol.com/

I asked them where I could find some locally. They told me the location of a gun store not too far away where they had just shipped some. Try it.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Fox Creek Kid

If you're in a hurry and have no time to clean you can hose down the BP guns in question with Ballistol and come back to clean them whenever. I have gone as long as several weeks and the gunk just pushes out like a dose of salts through a widow woman.  ;)  Absolutely no rust/corrosion.

I did however once get flash rusting on a cap 'n ball by using a "moose milk" concoction of Ballistol with water and it happened in less than a day being locked in a hot car trunk in August. I don't use it anymore. Besides, Windex with Vinegar (sold at Home Depot or Lowe's) diluted about 10 or more parts water to one cleans BP better IMO.

fourfingersofdeath

I gave my Trapdoor and my 1873 Ubeauty a good clean today using Moosemilk and finishing with pure Ballistol today. I usually clean in the laundry, with a rubber mat put on top of the washing machine. There was no breeze at all today and I have been coughing and spluttering ever since. I thought I was gettign a cold, but this thread reminded me that I had been using essence of stink bug earlier in the day.

Man, if you used it inside at my place, I'd kick you smelly rear end outside! Ballistol is good, but had an awful smell! Bad enough at the range, let alone indoors.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Papa Irish

Someone here recommeded Simple Green.  I use this for many things and had some handy.  So I tried it straight from the spray bottle. I use a nylon scrub brush.  Works great.  Rinse in tepid water, blow dry with compressed air and lube with CLP.
Papa Irish
"Smile when you say that pardner"

joec

Quote from: Papa Irish on June 03, 2011, 06:41:33 AM
Someone here recommeded Simple Green.  I use this for many things and had some handy.  So I tried it straight from the spray bottle. I use a nylon scrub brush.  Works great.  Rinse in tepid water, blow dry with compressed air and lube with CLP.

I have also used Simple Green on some of my auto pistols the same way. It works great and my guess is it would be great with black powder also, being mostly water based.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Oregon Bill

I like the smell of Ballistol. Reminds me of wild hickory nuts ... er ... black licorice.

:D

Mako

I thought Murphy's mix was whisky and water.
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Noz

Quote from: Mako on June 03, 2011, 01:27:42 PM

In this case, What's the water for?

I see that it serves no useful purpose.

cpt dan blodgett

Quote from: Mako on June 03, 2011, 01:27:42 PM

Jamissons or Bushmill????
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com