broke my Marlin one piece firing pin

Started by Mason Stillwell, May 30, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mason Stillwell

Was shooting a team match up at Cortez Co. WOW what fun Cactus Cris and I had. Was on the last stage 6th rifle round on a dump target and found out these one piece firing pins will break. I had never had an original pin break , bought this rifle with a one piece installed. broke off

Anyway another good bit of news Cactus did great after the match in Cowboy clays and I won a free entry into the Cortez yearly shoot this month. We are both going to attend. There will even be a BP night shoot that I am loading up some 44/40 for. I hope my new pin gets here in time.

Later Mason ;D
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Mako

Mason,
Now you're like most other Marlin shooters, you have a two piece firing pin...

Where did it break?

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Mason Stillwell

Mako it broke where it sizes down to the small firing pin.  I cannot explain correctly. You have the large part that goes back to the hammer. On the front end it necks down to the real firing pin. Right where it goes from large to small it broke smooth off.

Mason :-[
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Tar Heel at Heart

Mako

I understand, my girls have Marlins.  I'm sorry...

If you knew which one it was you could probably get it warrantied.  They usually don't want disgruntled owners.

~Mako

Fox Creek Kid

I know next to nothing about modern Marlins but I though someone made an aftermarket two piece FP to prevent this(?).  ???

Mako

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on May 31, 2011, 11:53:27 PM
I know next to nothing about modern Marlins but I though someone made an aftermarket two piece FP to prevent this(?).  ???

Kid,
The two piece design isn't really "modern," it's over a hundred years old.  It's just a safety feature to prevent the alignment of the pin until the bolt is fully closed.

The one piece design is SUPPOSED to do two things:
1. Decrease Lock time... (I doubt it could be proved with readily available timing techniques)*
2. Make the action closing feel a bit slicker.

It actually accomplished the second pretty well.  A heavily tuned and polished action will feel about the same a, but for the average Joe the one piece is an easy change.

The one piece shouldn't be any more fragile than the two piece unless it's one of those goofy titanium pins or one of the pins hogged out and with a reduced diameter body to make it lighter.  Contrary to "common knowledge" titanium isn't stronger than steel.  It is stronger than steel, by weight.  With similar geometry the steel comes out on top with a decent alloy.

~Mako

*Theoretically it is faster, but can the human perceive it?

Fox Creek Kid

Thanks Mako. It looks like I had it bass ackwards: the original 19th century FP was two piece & not one piece. I see.  ;)

Mason Stillwell

I have a new one coming . Went into shipping today. Should be here in a week
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Tar Heel at Heart

Mason Stillwell

Got the new pin. It is in the rifle and going as a backup tomorrow to Cortez. YE HAAA. Thank You Pioneer Gun works for fast delivery on my new one piece pin.

Later Mason ;D
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Tar Heel at Heart

Mako

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on June 01, 2011, 07:34:16 PM
Thanks Mako. It looks like I had it bass ackwards: the original 19th century FP was two piece & not one piece. I see.  ;)

Yep, not all lock out safeties are post Nanny State.  Of course all of those 19th century Marlins werel marked "BP only and read your instruction manual." ::)

~Mako

Mason Stillwell

Well if It wasnt for the little Marlin I would not have gotten to shoot today. Could not load one single round in the 66.

Marlin worked like a champ!!

Love it when things work out. ;D
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Tar Heel at Heart

Mako

Quote from: Mason Stillwell on June 04, 2011, 07:44:43 PM
Well if It wasnt for the little Marlin I would not have gotten to shoot today. Could not load one single round in the 66.

Marlin worked like a champ!!

Love it when things work out. ;D

Mason,
What's wrong with the Yellowboy?  Rusted magazine spring or spring follower?

~Mako

Mason Stillwell

Fixin to tear it  apart. When I start to load the shell through the loading gate it hangs up. Will not even clear the loading gate.

I will check for rust in that follower . I did have a rust issue.

Thanks Mako
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Tar Heel at Heart

Mason Stillwell

Not rust in the Mag Tube or the follower.

I put one of those new loading gates in it some years back but had never even seen if It would work. I think it has something to do with that gate. ?????????????????
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Tar Heel at Heart

Mako

Quote from: Mason Stillwell on June 04, 2011, 09:42:10 PM
Not rust in the Mag Tube or the follower.

I put one of those new loading gates in it some years back but had never even seen if It would work. I think it has something to do with that gate. ?????????????????

Mason,
Are you talking about one of the gates with a reinforced tabs?  If it is, then you're going to have to disassemble your receiver again like you did when you installed it.  It is possible that it is actually hitting the bronze frame where the gap is cut to allow the tab to clear.  You can check that with all of the innards out.  If that's not it then start adding the lever, links and toggles.  You don't need the springs at this point, you are looking for what is keeping you from fully depressing the loading gate.

~Mako

Mason Stillwell

Mako

I got it fixed . Took everything apart like you said found were it was hitting and used a little dremel work and now the shells loaded with snakebites go right in. I love that round 38 case with the snakebite boolit. Don't get much better.

Thanks

Mason  (getting ready for the Revenge) Stillwell  ;D
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Tar Heel at Heart

Mako

Mason,
That's great!

Those rifles work great with that bullet.  I have one in .38 and it just perks along with the Grease Wagon and a case full of FFFg.  When I use that rifle most people don't even realize I am shooting a .38 since I normally use a .44 of some flavor.  The boom is a lot more than the little pop of the smokiless .38 loads, and that 160gr bullet makes the steel ring nicely.

I've actually had brass pickers come to the unloading table and apologize thinking they couldn't find any of my rifle brass, they could only find .38 spl brass they thought my girls could use.  They were surprised when I told them the brass they found was mine.  Like I said, it is a nice combination and accurate as well.

Since we were also talking about magazine assembles, I have a suggestion for you before any match,  This applies for any rifle used with BP.  Unscrew your magazine tube cap, if you haven't ever done it before it may be very tight.  The slot is very wide and narrow, try something instead of a screw driver the first time to keep from boogering up your slot.  If you have a section of an old hacksaw blade the backside should fit perfectly.  Clamp the section of blade in your vise grips and use the blade as a super wide screw driver.  After you get it free the first time grease up those threads with anti-seize and you will always be able to get it unscrewed.

Now pull your spring and the follower and run a cleaning rod with a tight fitting patch down the tube.  I use a mop for either a .50 or .54 caliber BP rifle on my 44s and a .44 mop for the .38 spl.  I have a second one I keep in a bag that has Ballistol on it and I make sure the inside of the tube has a light coating.  If there is rust on the two clean them completely.  Steel wool will work on the spring.

I have now replaced the spring and followers in 3 of '66s and '73s with stainless steel parts from Pioneer Gunworks:

http://www.pioneergunworks.com/Competition_Parts.html

There is one other thing I do when cleaning, because it is the water from your cleaning that get's in the magazine tube and gets them rusty.  I pull the cap, follower and spring while cleaning and then wipe the mag tube and lubricate it before I put it up.  That way I shouldn't have to even check it, but I usually do because it only take a minute the night before a match and has become part of my pre-match ritual.  I also use that time to degrease my pistol cylinders and cap tubes so I will be ready in the morning.  I don't pop caps on tubes anymore,  they are already clear.  I use a can of carb cleaner sprayed in in the chambers and through the tubes.  I then follow with blasts of compressed air and then I wipe the outside of the cylinder with an oily rag to prevent superficial rusting since it has also been stripped of oil, I just keep the rag off of the tubes.  I lube the arbor pin and set them in the shooting box.

Thanks for posting, I like good news to start a week off.

~Mako

Mason Stillwell

Thanks for all you help and advise Mako.
Seems we think alike on the cleaning part. I do clean  and Lube my mag tubes. I still think the lube I used was not the best choice for long term storage.

I had cleaned all my guns before the big event ! To any moves and safe left out in garages . Sometimes 300 miles away so they did not get looked after. All is well now and even the 38/55 will shoot maybe just not quite as accurate as it used to be.

Now on to the future.

Cactus and I are headed out to the Revenge in a few days. I know that the old 66 will cycle the loaded cartridges through it. But how will it react with those whisper springs after bp gunk?? We will see LOL  My 73 in 38 loved them.

Taking my 44/40 marlin just for backup.
Got my ROA's ready and they worked great last weekend with the ROA 200 gr boolets.
Got lots of BP shells loaded for night shoot. 12 gauge with FFG 50 grains. Did I say BOOM ? 44/40 loaded to the brim with FFG and a big lube boolit.

Come on REVENGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok Ok I'll hush

Mason ;D
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Tar Heel at Heart

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com