Uberti Cattleman with a problem

Started by joec, May 27, 2011, 04:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pettifogger

All this time and you finally mention you are shooting BP.  Kind of a useful piece of information.  CHECK YOUR CYLINDER GAP and THEN COME BACK and let us know what it is.  Classic symptom of fouling on the face of the cylinder dragging on the back of the barrel.

St. George

You beat me to it, Pettifogger...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

joec

Quote from: Pettifogger on May 29, 2011, 10:32:12 AM
All this time and you finally mention you are shooting BP.  Kind of a useful piece of information.  CHECK YOUR CYLINDER GAP and THEN COME BACK and let us know what it is.  Classic symptom of fouling on the face of the cylinder dragging on the back of the barrel.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of the difference between the factory Magtech CA stuff being smokeless and the factory Winchester CA being BP or a substitute. I discovered this actually shooting both types of rounds yesterday as the first time I shot the Winchesters was at the NCOWS event for JCR and that is also the first time I had it happen. Before then I has shot as I said part of a box of Blazer standard JHP and a box of the Magtech both of which where not a problem.

I don't own a feeler gauge so I really can't check it other than by eye. I have written out the problem for Uberti and will have the letter mailed along with the gun. I will say it is strange to me as the ASM has less gap (visibly) than the Uberti on both sides of the cylinder, but functions fine regardless of ammo used.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

jefff

joe this is a learning process and i have found each gun comes own emotinal issues based on what you feed it.i would suggest you stick with smokeless powder in your guns until you get bored with everything going right and move on bp.jefff

joec

Quote from: jefff on May 29, 2011, 12:25:19 PM
joe this is a learning process and i have found each gun comes own emotinal issues based on what you feed it.i would suggest you stick with smokeless powder in your guns until you get bored with everything going right and move on bp.jefff

That is probably good advise however 3 our of 4 seem to do just fine on BP. Bud's offered to send the gun back on their dime to the factory and will handle it all at no charge to me. I will let them deal with it then. Meanwhile I still have a pistol, rifle and shotgun that all do just fine on BP.  ;D

I'm am still looking for my feeler gauges but they are buried in one of my storage sheds. I will find them today though and see if I can get a measurement as I'm curious also as to why one gun does this while the other doesn't. Besides I now have just over a 1000 rounds of BP 45 colt ammo and hate spending $34 for a box of 50 MagTechs.  :) 
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Pettifogger

Quote from: joec on May 29, 2011, 11:53:57 AM
Sorry, I wasn't aware of the difference between the factory Magtech CA stuff being smokeless and the factory Winchester CA being BP or a substitute. I discovered this actually shooting both types of rounds yesterday as the first time I shot the Winchesters was at the NCOWS event for JCR and that is also the first time I had it happen. Before then I has shot as I said part of a box of Blazer standard JHP and a box of the Magtech both of which where not a problem.

I don't own a feeler gauge so I really can't check it other than by eye. I have written out the problem for Uberti and will have the letter mailed along with the gun. I will say it is strange to me as the ASM has less gap (visibly) than the Uberti on both sides of the cylinder, but functions fine regardless of ammo used.

I think you have everyone 100% totally mystified at this point.  What is CA?  I have never seen any Magtech or Winchester ammo marked "CA".  Second, you keep saying Winchester factory CA is loaded with BP. NO factory Winchester ammo is loaded with BP or a sub.  What are you talking about?  If you were shooting BP you would know it by the BIG cloud of white smoke.  You absolutely cannot confuse shooting smokeless with shooting BP.  What are you shooting?  Uberti isn't going to fix a gun because it supposedly doesn't run on BP but works perfect with smokeless.  You need to go to a local shoot and talk to some people that know a little about guns and ammo.  This sounds like an operator issue, not a gun issue.

Abilene

joec,
You should know that it is very likely that if the gun shoots smokeless ammo fine, "the factory" is going to say it is within spec and send it back without doing anything.  It may not be money out of your pocket, but your shop will have wasted their shipping costs and time will have been wasted, and the gun will still be the same.  Lots of guns work fine with smokeless but need to be tweaked for BP.  Sometimes it is related to the type of lube being used, or related to the specifics of the ammo (what type and how much lube in the bullets if it is real BP and not a BP substitute, for example).

Might be worth your while to have it looked over by someone familiar with these issues before sending it off.  That's what the folks here are trying to do but it isn't easy without seeing the gun.  Good luck.

I see Pettifogger beat me to it, pretty much same info.

joec

CA is short for cowboy action loads. Now if Winchester doesn't use a pure BP which I doubt the use a substitute based on the smoke they put out. I might add it is also very dirty compared to the Magtech which makes little if any smoke.

Now let me try to be clearer with my limited knowledge of the Colt 1873 clones. First I bought two guns one used and one brand new. The ASM is used while the Uberti was brand new. I tried both guns using the same ammo Magtech and Blazer without a problem before going to an event putting close to a 100 rounds through both without a problem. I went to the first meet I've ever attended and couldn't find MagTech ammo so got enough Winchester in cowboy action loads for the meet. I then shot 3 heats with the Uberti having problem on the 3 heat at around 12 rounds through the gun. I then when to the ASM and shot 2 heats (10 rounds). I also shot the Rossi R92 through all 5 heats using the Winchester ammo without issue. As soon as I came home I cleaned all the guns. I went to the range Monday with 2 full boxes of Winchester ammo and had the problem with the Uberti fouling on the 11th or 12 round however the ASM fired a 100 rounds of the same stuff without problem and without the need to be cleaned. The Uberti required cleaning as soon as it fouled at about 11 rounds. Now if they are 1873 replicas I would expect them to handle a black powder or substitute powder such as pyrodex if not I would like to know why. I also stated I've not shot black powder or a substitute for it except in an old cap a ball pistol 40 years ago so I'm unfamiliar with the stuff.

Now as for knowing about guns single action is something new to me other than a Ruger Single Six I had as a kid. I've been around guns my whole life but modern double action revolvers and semi auto pistols as well as a few rifles. I no knowledge of gunsmiths nor ammo other than ballistics test for effectiveness. I've never reloaded ammo and have recently started to get interested in it. Oh and I've never shot guns for sport until now as I don't hunt.

So at this point I will thank those that offered suggestion and see what the out come will be Tuesday with Bud's. Meanwhile I will not ask any more question on this. So thanks.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

joec

Oh and I have a gap between the barrel and cylinder that I can see light through on the ASM. No light showing between the two at all on the Uberti though no marks on the front of the cylinder and sheet of post it notes will not go into the gap while it will on the ASM. It looks like a clearance problem to me and that is what the gunsmith at Bud's also suggested it was when I discussed it with him Saturday. He suggested we send the gun to Uberti not me and then informed me they would pick up the cost as I bought the gun recently.

I just measure the paper with a micrometer and it measure .003" on the Uberti and didn't go through the gap.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Fingers McGee

Quote from: Fingers McGee on May 27, 2011, 06:42:19 PM
Sounds like the revolver has a very tight barrel/cylinder gap that fouls out using Winchester ammo.  Cycling becoming harder with use indicates a fouling problem.

FM

Barrel/Cylinder gap - Didn't i mention that on post 5?

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

St. George

"Now if they are 1873 replicas I would expect them to handle a black powder or substitute powder such as pyrodex if not I would like to know why."

Because they were specifically 'built' at the factory to shoot smokeless and 'not' blackpowder, and shooting anything but what the factory built them for will void any claims against a warranty...

Modern weapons are designed to be shot with modern factory ammunition.

Substituting blackpowder or reloads voids the warranty, because that ammunition was not what the factory specifies.

Folks shooting blackpowder often need to have their weapons slightly modified in order to handle the increased fouling - the 'gunsmith' at Bud's should know this - plus, their cleaning regimen includes a complete detail-stripping, due to the fact that blackpowder fouls differently from smokeless.

The weapon won't work right unless it's cleaned right - and if you don't want to learn how to do that, as you've stated - then you at least need to bathe the piece with something like 'Ballistol' to help the process.

There are numerous threads on that - but 'Ballistol' may become your friend.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

joec

Actually according to one post that factory Winchester cowboy action loads do not use black powder or a substitute. So basically if true then it won't fire Winchester ammo and perhaps others as well. All I know is having to clean a gun after every 10 rounds makes it pretty much useless so I may simply replace it with a Ruger and be done with it. At this point I've pretty well made up my mind if it isn't something that can be fixed by returning the gun will go to the safe to die.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Pettifogger

Quote from: joec on May 30, 2011, 09:36:48 AM
Actually according to one post that factory Winchester cowboy action loads do not use black powder or a substitute. So basically if true then it won't fire Winchester ammo and perhaps others as well. All I know is having to clean a gun after every 10 rounds makes it pretty much useless so I may simply replace it with a Ruger and be done with it. At this point I've pretty well made up my mind if it isn't something that can be fixed by returning the gun will go to the safe to die.

Everyone has posted what to look for and you just keep posting melodramatic replies.  Lots of Rugers come from the factory with very tight cylinder/barrel gaps and do the same thing your gun is doing.  One of the first things I do when I get a revolver in is to check the cylinder gap.  Feeler gauges are two bucks at Walmart or Checker, go buy some.  I have had several Rugers recently that would not accept a .0015 gauge (one and one-half thousands of an inch) which is the thinnest feeler gauge in most sets.  Smokeless powders also produce fouling, some more than others as you have found out.  Quit being a drama queen and take the thing to a gunsmith.  Opening the cylinder gap is at most a five minute job and has to be done on lots of new guns.  "At this point I've pretty well made up my mind" that you are bound are determined not to take any advice so I'm not going to offer any more.

joec

Quote from: Pettifogger on May 30, 2011, 12:07:08 PM
Everyone has posted what to look for and you just keep posting melodramatic replies.  Lots of Rugers come from the factory with very tight cylinder/barrel gaps and do the same thing your gun is doing.  One of the first things I do when I get a revolver in is to check the cylinder gap.  Feeler gauges are two bucks at Walmart or Checker, go buy some.  I have had several Rugers recently that would not accept a .0015 gauge (one and one-half thousands of an inch) which is the thinnest feeler gauge in most sets.  Smokeless powders also produce fouling, some more than others as you have found out.  Quit being a drama queen and take the thing to a gunsmith.  Opening the cylinder gap is at most a five minute job and has to be done on lots of new guns.  "At this point I've pretty well made up my mind" that you are bound are determined not to take any advice so I'm not going to offer any more.

Ok Pettifogger I've figured out it is a fouling problem with factory ammo not home made black powder or substitutes. Thanks for educating me on the workings of a single action firearm. I didn't mean to come of as drama queen, I was simply asking what would cause this. I gather that the gun has very tight tolerances and I did take it to a gunsmith and he suggested sending it back not me. As I said I'm no gun smith nor have any real knowledge of tolerances in a gun as I've shot them for years with factory ammos. Sorry that you took offense.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Abilene

Howdy joec,
Okay, so since it is pretty much looking like the barrel to cylinder gap is the culprit, being too tight for even certain smokeless ammo, you really have two choices with the gun (I'm not counting putting the gun in the back of the safe as an opiton  ;) )

If you have the gun sent back for warranty work, they PROBABLY will fix it, although it's hard to say.  They might shoot it and if it works okay they will say you have an ammo problem and return it (just FYI, Cimarron test fires problem guns with Black Hills ammo, and if that works they will usually say the gun is fine).  And if they do fix it, you still might be without the gun for anywhere from a couple weeks to several months.

The second option is to have somebody local open up the gap.  As Pettifogger said, this is an easy job, and would take less time than packing up the gun and doing the paperwork to return it.  Possibly your gunsmith is not familiar with single actions.  Or possibly he doesn't want to do something that he thinks might void your warranty. 

Good luck with the gun and let us know what happens.  Rugers are okay, but the Cattleman will be a better mate for your ASM.  Once you get it working good and have confidence in it, you will be glad you got it fixed.

joec

Quote from: Abilene on May 30, 2011, 01:12:03 PM
Howdy joec,
Okay, so since it is pretty much looking like the barrel to cylinder gap is the culprit, being too tight for even certain smokeless ammo, you really have two choices with the gun (I'm not counting putting the gun in the back of the safe as an opiton  ;) )

If you have the gun sent back for warranty work, they PROBABLY will fix it, although it's hard to say.  They might shoot it and if it works okay they will say you have an ammo problem and return it (just FYI, Cimarron test fires problem guns with Black Hills ammo, and if that works they will usually say the gun is fine).  And if they do fix it, you still might be without the gun for anywhere from a couple weeks to several months.

The second option is to have somebody local open up the gap.  As Pettifogger said, this is an easy job, and would take less time than packing up the gun and doing the paperwork to return it.  Possibly your gunsmith is not familiar with single actions.  Or possibly he doesn't want to do something that he thinks might void your warranty. 

Good luck with the gun and let us know what happens.  Rugers are okay, but the Cattleman will be a better mate for your ASM.  Once you get it working good and have confidence in it, you will be glad you got it fixed.

Thanks Abilene. I guess my next question is what would be a gap that will fire both smokeless and black powder without the fouling problem or is the gun dependent? I would much prefer not to send the gun back at all either, as that was the guy at Bud's suggestion who is a gun smith when I asked him about fixing it. He did do the Steve's tune up on my Rossi with great results and repaired a different problem with my ASM. As for the feeler gauge I did find mine but nothing would fit between the cylinder and barrel that I have.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Pettifogger

A good compromise if you intend to shoot BP is .006.

joec

Quote from: Pettifogger on May 30, 2011, 01:31:28 PM
A good compromise if you intend to shoot BP is .006.

Thank you I will see if I can get it done. Now for my last question simply out of curiosity. How is this done by milling the cylinder, barrel and with what tools? In other words a milling machine, grinder, sand paper etc. I know the only thing that the guy that does my guns doesn't have is a milling machine as he sold it when he retired 10 years ago.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Pettifogger

Here are the tools.

The first photo is the tool by itself.  The second shows it installed in a gun.  All you do is pull on the handle and give it a twist or two.  That's all it takes.  If a person has a steady hand, you can do the job with a flat file laying across the back of the barrel.

joec

Joe
NCOWS 3384

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com