Bleeding leather

Started by Boothill Bob, May 26, 2011, 03:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boothill Bob

Hovdy pards..
I have a problem. My belts have a tendency to bleed, although that I have added a layer of EVOO, Gum Tragacanth, Tan-Kote and Skidmoore. What else can I do?  :'(  :'(
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Bob, so I guess you're saying you dyed the inside of the belt , is this what you did ? if so , this is one thing I never do, I always leave the inside of a belt natural, unless it's been natural dyed with all natural dye, that won't rub off like what comes out of the bottle, even my lined belts I leave natural, I learned this from Alfonso Penada, if you haven't lined the belt, you could go ahead and do that now, and just give it a Tan-Kote Finish, and keep the colored dyes away. if the belt is already lined, you could try cleaning the finish off with alcohol, and then buff it until you no longer get any color rub off, then seal it with Tan -Kote.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

rickk

Neither EVOO, nor Gum Tragacanth will stop bleeding.

I have never used Tan-Kote or Skidmoore, can't comment on either of them.

A few applications of Resolene would be my first choice. If it is on the inside you can build it up as heavy as you wish without worrying about too glossy of a finish. I have dyed the inside of many leather items that are worn directly against the skin. Before Resolene... nightmare. After Resolene, no problems any more.

I usually dampen a paper towel and then pour the Resolene on the damp paper towel, effectively diluting the Resolene. I let it dry for an hour or so and apply again, adding as many layers as I wish to accomplish what I am trying to accomplish. If I want a glossy finish, that might take 4 applications. A dull finish might only take two applications. On the back side it will really suck the stuff in. Let it dry up a bit and slap some more on until there is no doubt it is covered.

TN Mongo

I've tried Resolene and it does work better, but I'm like Ten Wolves on this one.  It stays in the 90's all summer here with very high humidity.  A lot of cowboy action shooters will sweat right through their leather during a shoot.  I've had better results not dyeing the lining of belts.  I don't seem to have the same problem with chrome tanned suede leather linings on belts.

Boothill Bob

Whats Resolene  ???
I've dyed the inside, but as you say, I will not dye it with pil dye.

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Skeeter Lewis

BB, Resolene is an acrylic product in the Tandy catalog.

Boothill Bob

Quote from: Skeeter Lewis on May 27, 2011, 02:42:21 AM
BB, Resolene is an acrylic product in the Tandy catalog.
Ok, thanx, will look it up.

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

rickk

Resolene comes in clear and black. The clear is what you typically want.

It has a milky white appearance in the bottle, but will become clear when it dries.

Sgt. C.J. Sabre

Quote from: rickk on May 27, 2011, 05:30:52 AM
Resolene comes in clear and black. The clear is what you typically want.

It has a milky white appearance in the bottle, but will become clear when it dries.

Where can I get the black? Tandy only has the clear.

Wolf Tracker

BHB  I had heard from another leatherworker that Mop-n-Glo the floor cleaner is almost the same thing as Resolene. He mixes it 50/50 with water and has had great success with it. I haven't tried it but I have compared the two side by side and they sure look alike.
A man, a horse, and a dog never get weary of each other's company.

rickk

Sgt. C.J. Sabre,

The black is often hard to find. The last time I ordered some I emailed Fiebings and they told me who might have some in stock.

I am seeing a guy named "nordshoe" selling black and brown Resolene on Ebay right now.

I have never used brown, but I have used black on several occasions. For black anyway, first I dye the item black with conventional dye. Then I start adding layers of Black Resolene (water diluted). I add quite a few layers, doing two applications per day if possible. I might do around 10 applications total. I don't have a set number, I just stop when it looks right. The result is a very black, very shiny, and almost 3 dimensional black surface.     

Sgt. C.J. Sabre

Quote from: rickk on May 27, 2011, 09:30:31 PM
Sgt. C.J. Sabre,
I am seeing a guy named "nordshoe" selling black and brown Resolene on Ebay right now.

Found him. Thanks.

Skeeter Lewis

Do pards use Resolene diluted? It can dry kind of ridgy....

rickk

Quote from: Skeeter Lewis on May 28, 2011, 02:59:44 AM
Do pards use Resolene diluted? It can dry kind of ridgy....

Yup, I do... always... wet a paper towel and then pour a bit of Resolene into the damp paper towel.  Do at least two coats that way, allowing it to visually dry in between. If gloss is desired, do a couple more diluted coats.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com