Power buffing leather?

Started by Tallbald, May 25, 2011, 08:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tallbald

Has anybody ever tried using a large loose muslin buffing wheel at low speed to buff the finish on leather? I know back in the day when you went to a shoe store to buy shoes (not to a self serve big box store) there was always an electric buffer that had a red and a black buffing wheel on it. I used to play with it while Daddy bought shoes and until he gently told me  ::) to come set by him (always a wonderful feeling for me to be by my hero,my Daddy). Anyway, Harbor Freight sells big wheels I can chuck in my lathe and turn slowly. I wonder... Don

ChuckBurrows

Yes grasshopper ;) power buffing is good - I would not be without mine! I've also used a buffing wheel on a drill like you do for polishing a car........

FWIW - go to a shoe repair shop some time if available and look at the various power buffers and sanders they use for finish work and those type tools were used back in the period - they are not a new invention at all.......
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Tallbald

Well that's good news to me Chuck!. You mentioning car buffing makes me now ask, do you use cloth wheels or the wool-like fluffy pads for buffing leather? Don

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Use one all the time, it's part of my cave line up.

tEN ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Cliff Fendley

Hmmm, since I am a knifemaker I have three Baldor buffers in the buffing room but I never have used one on a leather project. I use the belt sanders all the time finishing out edges but never really thought about using a buffer. I may have to try that.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

ChuckBurrows

Quote from: Tallbald on May 25, 2011, 09:14:21 AM
Well that's good news to me Chuck!. You mentioning car buffing makes me now ask, do you use cloth wheels or the wool-like fluffy pads for buffing leather? Don

I use either one on the drill - on my buffer (a low speed 1750 RPM) I use a soft cloth wheel and for the edges only I use hard cloth wheels loaded with beeswax ala John Bianchi - I also "wear" a shallow (1/4-3/8" deep) groove in the hard wheels - one for single thickness leather and one for 2-3 layers - saves a lot of wear and tear on the ole bod when doing edges.........
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Slowhand Bob

I to like the bonnet style for leather, Im thinking around 900rpm but would need to check fer sure.  I have also used the large artificial wool gloves made for car washing to do it by hand.

LoneRider

Quote from: Cliff Fendley on May 25, 2011, 10:12:04 AM
Hmmm, since I am a knifemaker I have three Baldor buffers in the buffing room but I never have used one on a leather project. I use the belt sanders all the time finishing out edges but never really thought about using a buffer. I may have to try that.

CAUTION!!!! Don't use the same buffing wheel you use to buff the knifes with! It will have polishing compound on it and won't be good for the leather! Don't ask me how I know :o
Happy Trails

Cliff Fendley

Yep that would be a mess. I actually do buff a leather strop and load it up with compound for use in doing the final stropping of my knife blades.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com