New to leatherwork

Started by Cyrus Sears, May 24, 2011, 10:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrus Sears

I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum and let you know that I will probably have lots of questions in the future.  My ultimate goal is to make a SASS gun rig for my soon-to-be 9-year old. He will probably be 10 before it is done. I plan on starting with either spur straps (For me) or a shotgun belt first. My father in law has a lot of the tools that I can use.  My first question is: what is the best weight of leather to use for spur straps and a shotgun belt? Are shotgun belts better unlined or suede-like lined? I know lining leather will make a difference on what weight of leather to use.

Thanks,

Cyrus Sears

PS. You may think I am crazy starting this right before summer starts, but the summers are so hot here in San Antonio that staying inside with the AC is sometimes the best thing to do.
Cyrus Sears
SASS #30369

1st Lt. Cyrus Sears earned the Medal of Honor at the Battle of Iuka with the 11th Ohio Light Artillery Battery during the Civil War.  I use to mow around his grave as part of a past summer job.

Boothill Bob

Welcome to the forum Cyrus.
I want to say that this forum is all you need when working with leather  ;)
My work has been better since I join it..
Remember, there is no stupid questions.
//BhB
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Wolf Tracker

Cyrus  Welcome to the forum. I am new to leatherworking too and have learned a lot from the pards here. Like Boothill Bob said, there are no stupid questions. Everyone here is more than happy to help.
A man, a horse, and a dog never get weary of each other's company.

Long Juan

Cyrus, Long Juan here, where I have been lurking for quite a while. ;D  I too am trying to get started in leather work.  Know what you mean about A/C and our Texas heat.  My goal is to make some holsters, sheaths and belts for myself and others.  Who knows where I might go from there?  Think you may have shot with my grandson, Wasbe, last summer.  Need to make some gear for him.  I know that No Good Nat will appreciate your efforts.  See you at our next shoot. 

CAPT John (Long Juan) Soule
Texican Rangers, Fredericksburg, Texas
Plum Creek Shooting Society, Lockhart, Texas
SASS #84671 NCOWS #3322 STORM #368
GAF #737,  Department of Missouri, Division of Texas
www.tarryhollowgang.com

TwoWalks Baldridge

Cyrus a loud holler Hello from the west coast.  Also new to leather work so will not attempt an answer to your questions.  Knowledge and friendliness abound here, so I know you will learn a lot.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Welcome Cyrus Sears

We're happy to have you join in with us, we all had to start some place, and the leather shop forum has been a great help to us all, so make yourself at home.ask all the questions you like, we do have a FAQ/HOW TO thread that will answer a lot of questions for you, and I would suggest you take a good look there for information you might need.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

KidTerico

Cyrus glad to have you with us. Your getting into a great hobby. As TW said were all learning in one way or another. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Chuck 100 yd

Welcome !!  The friendliest bunch of fellers and gals in the world camp here.
Ask away!!  ;)

Marshal Will Wingam

Welcome to the forum, CS and LJ. You're both in the right place if you have any interest in leather. These pards are absolutely the best you'll find anywhere.

CS, I'd start with a side of 8/9 oz bridle leather. I think Tandy calls it Live Oak or something like that.  Most of your belt/holster/etc needs can be done with that. As you work, you can pick up other weights as needed, like 4/5 oz for the bullet loops if you're planning to have them. The 4/5 can also serve for a liner if you want that. Cruise through the FAQ thread and you'll find a whole host of informative threads and good sources for supplies.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,13207.0.html

LJ, glad to see you with us. As you already know from following these threads, all you need is an interest in leather and we'll hook you solid.  ;D

Looking forward to hearing more from both of you.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

GunClick Rick

Dang no account claim jumpin,bean stealin,fire stompin Texans!! ;D

WELCOME FROM THE REAL WEST,THE WEST COAST THAT IS,well sort of,inland some,but we got a nice lake ;D ;D

Don't ferget ta hang some pics here :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

outrider

Welcome to all the newbies...don't listen to that weenie dog lovin Gunclick Rick.

By the way Rick how is the little devil???
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

GunClick Rick

:D He doin real well along with Cloie,they got pretty good at helpin me baby sit..Cloie think it's her baby..

Can't wait ta see the leather work the newbies do.
Bunch a ole scudders!

Long Juan

Having been lurking here for awhile, having done much reading and having watched 2 DVDs on holstermaking and various onlline videos on the topic, I made a trip to Tandy's today to purchase my first round of tools and a some leather.  Guy said I had a good list for starters.  Plan to try my first project this weekend (at least start), a simple holster for a pocket pistol.  I have one I purchased cheap that I like EXCEPT for the quality.  It has become my pattern and go-by for assembly.  Next will be a sheath for my screw driver knife that will attach to my braces.  That one will have to be pretty much an original design, although I have a belt sheath for it that I can use for pointers, plus what I have learned about making a pattern from my self-education efforts.  Who knows where I might go from there?  Have also signed up for some Saturday classes at Tandy's on edge finishing and border stamping.  You takes what they offer when they offer and those two are offered in June when I can attend.  I'll be in touch when I have questions. 

LJ
CAPT John (Long Juan) Soule
Texican Rangers, Fredericksburg, Texas
Plum Creek Shooting Society, Lockhart, Texas
SASS #84671 NCOWS #3322 STORM #368
GAF #737,  Department of Missouri, Division of Texas
www.tarryhollowgang.com

santee

It all starts with, "I wanna make a holster" or "I wanna make spur straps".
Next thing you know, you're hooked and you're considering saddlebags or chaps. Then you just look for things to make, like keychains, wallets, beer koozies. It's like crack, only safer, and you turn out wearable artwork.
Welcome to the addiction. 8)
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Boothill Bob

Quote from: santee on May 27, 2011, 06:50:59 AM
It all starts with, "I wanna make a holster" or "I wanna make spur straps".
Next thing you know, you're hooked and you're considering saddlebags or chaps. Then you just look for things to make, like keychains, wallets, beer koozies. It's like crack, only safer, and you turn out wearable artwork.
Welcome to the addiction. 8)

Amen to that Santee  ;D
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

LoneRider

I make alot of Shotgunbelts, normally I don't line them. If a customer insists I will but when the belt is snug around your tummy it's not going anywhere. Gunbelts are a different thing. A gunbelt is carrying weight of the guns a shotgunbelt only has 10-12 shotgun shells and maybe a few rounds of rifle ammo. The suede lining on a gunbelt helps keep it from slipping down around your ankles. especially if you have the "NOASSATALL" disease like me! ;D
Happy Trails

Tallbald

Hi Cyrus. Welcome to the forum. I too am new to the craft, but it has already become one of my favorite pastimes. From making my own patterns, to using homemade dyes and hand stitching using a homemade horse, it's all great. I will say this is the most unselfish group of forum members I've ever had the pleasure to meet. A wealth of information can be had here, in a detailed or general way (your choice). Hope to see more of you here! Don

GunClick Rick

Rusty said he would even get out of bed to look at your stuff when ya post a picture.. ;D

Bunch a ole scudders!

KidTerico

Rick is that your 1st. or 2nd. offspring. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

GunClick Rick

Somebody has to fetch my slippers.. :D Leather slippers that is..
Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com