Can you guys rate the tooling on this saddle? Pics included

Started by DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM, May 24, 2011, 06:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Not mine but I might pick up a few because I'm swamped with 18 hour a day work and don't have time to do these myself. Wifey has our machine tied up most of the day.
I see a few boo boo's in the stitching that would have never left our shop. (Lower right hand corner of the skirt.)
Tooling doesn't look real deep possibly the leather wasn't cased enough.
Other than that it's not a bad working saddle. Padded seat too for cushioning my old busted up body and all.

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/SADDLERY/D11.jpg

As a control here's a $4500.00 saddle.

KidTerico

Duke I,m not real   impressed with the tooling. When you enlarge it , its not very even. Just my 2 cents worth. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Quote from: KidTerico on May 24, 2011, 07:42:21 PM
Duke I,m not real   impressed with the tooling. When you enlarge it , its not very even. Just my 2 cents worth. KT
Yea I'm with you on that Kid. I'm not to terribly in love with the barb wire stamping either. You don't get much for $1250 these days for a saddle.

It does come with this tree.
"Steele Co. Equi-fit Wooden double wrapped Roper 10 year warranty with Full quarter horse bars 7" gullet."

rickk

The corners seem awfully square. Why would they not be radiused?

As you stated, the stitching on the skirt does not seem to be parallel with the edge, nor does it seem to be recessed anywhere into a stitching groove. I would think the stitching would take a beating at rub points and come undone fairly quickly.

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Quote from: rickk on May 24, 2011, 09:43:44 PM
The corners seem awfully square. Why would they not be radiused?

As you stated, the stitching on the skirt does not seem to be parallel with the edge, nor does it seem to be recessed anywhere into a stitching groove. I would think the stitching would take a beating at rub points and come undone fairly quickly.

I like the square corners myself. Looks like the old half seat saddles.

Don Nix

Ive built a saddle or two and sold another 3 or 4 in my time and that saddle is about par for the course for whats being sold
now to "cowboys".
it may look like a working saddle but that padded seat will wear you out if you ride all day.
A good slick seated custom saddle will save your butt.If you ride from dawn to dusk.
I would wager that that saddle is embossed rather than tooled. I have seen many that are imported from south of the border ,tagged by a "U.S"company as handmade and sold to folks as a handmade shopbuilt saddle.
I'd stay away from it if i was going to build a reputation as a saddler.
If your looking for a inexpensive saddle to carry in your shop then try American Saddlery. they are factory built in Tenn. Ive sold a bunch of them at low prices to folks who would otherwise buy a sale barn saddle.

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Here's the folks that make the saddle.
http://cgi.ebay.com/16-G-W-CRATE-WADE-ROPING-SADDLE-NEW-FREE-SHIP-17-15-/380182810452?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5884a94f54#ht_11880wt_1144

Thanks for the replies all.
The only other choice I have is used Dan Crates (not to be confused with the above ebay user) and the only ones I find on ebay sans the serial number are 20 to 25 years old in the 600 to 800 price tag. I really don't want to wrap that much money into something someone else has got the best years out of.
Kinda like wives.  ;)
10 years old would probably be OK but 20 to 25 well...................
The closest saddle shops to us are in AZ or CA and I hate driving.

Just a note I have had several Dan Crates in my life and they are premo.

Skeeter Lewis

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

I contacted the company and requested the saddles be made without the tooling. For just horse packing I can live with or without tooling. Guess I would prefer no tooling to mediocre tooling.  Nothing personal to you guy that do all the great tooling but I look at a saddle like a tool in the shed or a truck in the driveway. Just a tool for doing a job and nothing else but.  ;)

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Quote from: Don Nix on May 24, 2011, 11:57:26 PM
Ive built a saddle or two and sold another 3 or 4 in my time and that saddle is about par for the course for whats being sold
now to "cowboys".
it may look like a working saddle but that padded seat will wear you out if you ride all day.
A good slick seated custom saddle will save your butt.If you ride from dawn to dusk.
I would wager that that saddle is embossed rather than tooled. I have seen many that are imported from south of the border ,tagged by a "U.S"company as handmade and sold to folks as a handmade shopbuilt saddle.
I'd stay away from it if i was going to build a reputation as a saddler.
If your looking for a inexpensive saddle to carry in your shop then try American Saddlery. they are factory built in Tenn. Ive sold a bunch of them at low prices to folks who would otherwise buy a sale barn saddle.

I'm looking for saddles I can get right now to ride. I have a 3 hour butt as far as riding goes so padding sounds good. Your shop still open?

Don Nix

Quote from: DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM on May 25, 2011, 11:47:11 AM
I'm looking for saddles I can get right now to ride. I have a 3 hour butt as far as riding goes so padding sounds good. Your shop still open?
I still do a little wotk and sell a saddle or two

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com