Topcoat over neatsfoot oil?

Started by Tallbald, May 24, 2011, 04:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tallbald

Been looking at the farm stores and the tack shops around here for Skidmore's Leather Creme, but no luck. Lots of other brands of "creme" and "finish" but I don't know what to try. I massage my holsters with neatsfoot oil after boning and drying, and it also gives them a low lustre sheen I like, but the oil wants to lightly migrate out onto clothing. I am not applying too heavily I don't think, and would like a compatable topcoat that gives me a low sheen too. Neutral shoe polish looked dull, no matter how much horsehair brush buffing I gave it. "Mink Oil"? Johnsons paste wax? Price doubles when I get something shipped. Suggestions appreciated. Living in a thoroughbred horse state, I thought I'd have more to try. Thanks, Don

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Don, I like to use Bag-Kote for a satin low luster finish, it works well over oiled leather, as long as the leather isn't soaking in oil, it is sold by Fiebings, you can also order  www.skidmores.com  directly from them. you want their leather cream, if down the road you want or need a glossier finish, you can use Tan-Kote, which is also a Fiebings product, there are other finishes available, but these are what I like and use now.  hope this helps. ???

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Tallbald

Thanks Ten. Does Mink Oil over neatsfoot oil give a sheen of a sorts? The topcoats you've told me about are not available locally as far as I can find. Mink Oil of several brands is , however, around here. I've just never used any. Already wasted my money on neutral shoe polish. Maybe I will have to just bite the bullet and buy the high-to-ship-but-what-I-need stuff. Don

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Don, Mink oil is ok, I've used it on work boots before, but I like Skidmores a whole lot better, you said you were having oil rub off, the Bag-Kote will stop that, some times you just need to bite the bullet to get what you need, but also remember this what I use, the choice is always up to you, you should be able to get everything except the Skidmores at any Tandy Leather store.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

ChuckBurrows

Tallbald - just exactly where are you located? Knowing that I may be able to suggest places with cheaper shipping for you.

FWIW - Mink oil, neatsfoot oil, etc are almost all made today from the same base material - hog lard. Using lard you can make your own mix for a top coat that gives a nice satin luster finish, called dubbin, which is an old time simple mix of:
Beeswax, tallow or lard, and oil

Beeswax should be available at least in small amounts at any local sewing shop. Lard is found on the shelves at just about any grocery store. For oil you can use neatsfoot EVOO, etc. I use about 40% wax, 50% lard (or tallow - I've used beef, deer and sheep - beef is often available at butcher shops), and 10% oil.
Melt altogether and let cool - adjust percentages as needed - the finished product should be like a fairly stiff creme - perhaps not as stiff as shoe polish but close.

Bag KOte, Tan Kote, dubbin, SKidmores etc will all give a nice satin shinve, but then so will netral shoes polish - of that's not shiny enough you will need to choose something like Super Sheen or Resolene.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Tallbald

Hi Chuck. I'm in Bowling Green, KY, about 60 miles north of Nashville, TN. I can't find Bagkote or Tankote locally. I had a small can of contact cement, 2 packs of needles, and a few tiny bags of snaps sent to me last week from Nashville and post office shipping cost me $10. The items cost $17. Boy was I shocked. hate to sound like a cheapo, but that's a lot. Don

Skeeter Lewis

Chuck, do these topcoats prevent the natural darkening which over time gives that rich amber color? Skeet

Ned Buckshot

Tallbald many times craft stores will carry basic stuff for hobbies. Is there a hobby lobby or some such in your area?

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Tallbald

Ned, we have a chain hobby store but they have a really limited selection of leather stuff, mostly  bags of small scraps, and a few tools, dyes, glue, and kits. Not complaining, just saying. The other hobby stores are mostly models, radio control, etc.. Bowling Green is only about 50K people and a university. But it's a nice town I've been in since 79 when came here to attend school. Mostly friendly people. And no raised eyebrows when one open-carries in a beautiful holster of your own creation. I've decided I'm going to just have to pay the price and order the Skidmore's. Thanks for everyone's help and replies. Don

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Don, you have to remember, that with the cost of gas, having your things shipped to you today is cheaper in the long run.just go on line and get what you want, and the heck with trying to find these things on foot or by car.

Cliff Fendley

Tandy in Louisville will ship it to you. I don't know if they have bag kote but pretty sure they have tan kote.

10 dollar shipping isn't bad these days with 4 dollar gas, you don't need to do much driving to use 10 dollars in gas. I only live 20 minutes from Louisville but have Whayne Supply (Caterpillar) ship me small parts all the time if I can get by for a couple days. I'll spend 10 dollars or more in fuel driving to Louisville and back not counting my time.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Slowhand Bob

If you are a SASS shooter you can do what I do, find the nearest city that has a SASS match and a Tandy store.  For me it is an hour and a half drive but I do get to maximize my dollar and my fun.  One could factor in a third  function if doing a small amount of commercial work, set up a small display before match time while visiting away from home, might even pay for that gas sometimes.

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: Tallbald on May 25, 2011, 07:31:16 AM
Hi Chuck. I'm in Bowling Green, KY, about 60 miles north of Nashville, TN. I can't find Bagkote or Tankote locally. I had a small can of contact cement, 2 packs of needles, and a few tiny bags of snaps sent to me last week from Nashville and post office shipping cost me $10. The items cost $17. Boy was I shocked. hate to sound like a cheapo, but that's a lot. Don

Tallbald, dang son you live in a really large city.  :), I live in a gold rush town that has a population of 4380 folks and the nearest Leather store is 90+ miles.  Like others, I have grown to rely on ordering.  I have noticed with Tandy that the cost of shipping goes up very slowly.  I just got an order in for 12.00 shipping that was for around 199.00 worth of items including hide.  The key is too not order just one or two small items but create a good shopping list first ... when possible.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

WaddWatsonEllis

Tall Bald,

I finally bought the bullet and I ordered some Skidmores  ... and i am so glad I did!

The reason for the need to order became clear as I got some one on the phone ... one of the Skidmores!

This seems to be a small family operated business and they keep the formulae pure in that manner ...

It feels alot like the Carmex I used to put on my lips for skiing ... and since there is a lot of beeswax in both, I am not surprised.

I have even seen leatherworkers take the excess Skidmores and work it into their hands as a skin moisturizer ... a bit much, but reasonable.

And although we don't see it when we buy something from the shelf, a large part of our grocery bill is from 'shipping' ... it is just hidden in the price ... same with what we buy in a leather store ....

Just my $.02  ...and worth about that much ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com