Leech & Rigdon Cartridge Conversion?

Started by Patrick Henry Brown, May 18, 2011, 03:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Henry Brown

Does anyone here have any documentation of a Leech & Rigdon being converted to cartridge during the 1865-1899 time period. I'm considering a Kirst 1851 conversion cylinder for my Uberti L&R.

Mogorilla

Hey Preacher C,
I have not seen one, but troll around the firearm collection sites and you may find one.  I have seen cartridge conversions of the Cooper Double Action (essentially a double action Colt Navy circa 1860s)
I check these sites often and drool

http://www.flayderman.com/

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/show_inventory.php?catID=3

http://www.19thcenturyweapons.com/index.html

Mako

Preacher,

I have done some research on the Leech & Rigdon revolvers and I have never heard of, or run across a photo or reference to a conversion.  There aren't that many of them around and there never were that many of them.  The iron cylinders would not be the best candidates for conversion, the material was whatever they could obtain at the time.

The resident expert is probably 'River City John', but he hasn't posted on this forum for a while.  I know he is still active on the site.  Here is a link to one his pistols:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,21804.msg357484.html#msg357484

He has had the cylinder scene removed and stamped the barrel.

You might want to PM him and ask him if he knows anything.  Like I said he knows L&Rs.

I have two Uberti Leech and Rigdon reproductions and they both have the offending roll engraved cylinders I have pretty much given up on finding plain cylinders at this point.  I'm going to remove the Colt's style engraving and stamp mine at some point.

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Fingers McGee

Hey all.  I've never seen a cartridge converted L&R either; but I have taken a couple Uberti's and had them 'defarbed' and remarked like an original CH Rigdon would have been in 1864, with new serial numbers just outside the original production range.  Just to make sure no one mistakes them for originals, A. Uberti and the date code has been stamped on the barrel under the loading lever.

One was made in 1973 and the other in 2007, both had blank cylinders and were NIB when I got them.  Just recently picked up a NIB Navy Arms/Pietta L&R with a blank cylinder that was made in 1980.  They're out there to be had.

The two CH Rigdons are my back up CAS guns.  

Ya know, converting them just might be a good idea....................................
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

River City John

No cartridge conversion Leech & Rigdon I've ever come across. :(

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Can't find any L & Rs mentioned in McDowell.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Texas John Ringo

I'm sure all of you know that High Standard made both a Leech & Rigdon and a Griswold & Gunnison, nether of which had roll engraved cylinders.
Both are/were real nice.

Fingers McGee

Quote from: Texas John Ringo on May 20, 2011, 07:01:01 AM
I'm sure all of you know that High Standard made both a Leech & Rigdon and a Griswold & Gunnison, nether of which had roll engraved cylinders.
Both are/were real nice.

Yep, and there are a couple listed on GB and GA right now too. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

If the reproductions were made from stock '51 parts, the creation of a cartridge conversion is well on its way.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Patrick Henry Brown

It should be no problem to drop a Kirst or R&D 1851 Conversion cylinder into my Uberti Leech & Rigdon. BTW, mine was made in 2005 and has the plain cylinder with no engraving. Go figure. Don't know why Uberti changes periodically. From an NCOWS standpoint, I guess I was seeking some sort of justification for such a conversion -- that and curiosity. I haven't broke down yet and bought McDowell's book. I'm getting cheap in my old age.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com