EVOO

Started by Pappy Hayes, May 06, 2011, 03:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pappy Hayes

Okay am I missing something or doing something wrong. I am trying evoo on a practice piece of leather. The problem I am having is the oil is not darking up the practice cuts I put in with my saddle groover. I am thinking about using the groover to make my double border outline. My next step will be the vinageroom dyes but not there yet.

Holden A. Grudge

From my VERY limited experience, oil (neatsfeet or EVOO) will darken uniformly across the leather but will not darken depressed or cut areas more than they already are.  If you are looking for an antiquing type affect then you would need to use an antiquing type finnish.  Dyes will also change colro more uniformly.

Others with more experience will likely chime in to correct me if I am off base here.

TwoWalks Baldridge

Not sure if I am getting this right or not.  I take it that the evoo is darkening the flat surfaces but not the groove itself?  I found I had that problem when I tried rubbing on very light coats ... the evoo was not getting into the bottom of the groove.  I took a little heavier amount along the groove with one of those foam brushes and then rubbed the rest of the work.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Pappy Hayes

So I am confused. I bought one of Will Ghormley's pattern kits. He says that he used evoo to dye/color the holster. The colored picture on the front shows the cut lines being the same color or even a little darker in some areas. I guess I need to experiment with the natural dyes. Do they get into the carved lines?

santee

Doesn't Will also put his stuff outside for a suntan after oiling? Maybe that's the missing piece.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: Pappy Hayes on May 07, 2011, 09:12:17 AM
I guess I need to experiment with the natural dyes. Do they get into the carved lines?

For me the evoo was not getting down into the grooves when I tried apply very light coats so I used the foam brush to get the evoo in the grooves and then spread the excess on the holster for the light coat.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

I use the sun all the time when using either oils, it helps greatly, it will darken/or amber your leather, so if you don't want that to happen, then stay away from the sun, I like the look , so the sun is used on most my leather after oiling. The oiled leather will darken over time anyway, with or without the suns help, just wearing it and exposing it to weather/sun causes nice natural effects.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Chuck 100 yd

I apply my EVOO generously and to both sides of the leather. Enough to fill any tooling or edge lines and wipe off the excess after with paper toweling or old cotton cloth.
I then hang the item in my drying cabinet and try to just forget it for at least 2 weeks. (3 is even better)
I have had no problems with my holsters getting soft. The only thing I find is that they come out much darker than expected. Dark walnut looks almost black. All in all they are a very pleasing color.

Experiment a lot. You will have fun!!  ;)

Pappy Hayes

I am using a sponge brush and I have tried excess oil on the grooves first then spreading and still the oil does not coat the grooves.

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: Pappy Hayes on May 07, 2011, 04:19:55 PM
I am using a sponge brush and I have tried excess oil on the grooves first then spreading and still the oil does not coat the grooves.

With my limited experience that is all I could come up with ... I have no doubt that I will run into this problem down the road so I hope someone knows the why and the remedy.

Silver_Rings

What kind of EVOO do you use.  The extra rich flavor, regular, or extra light flavor?  Does ithe kind make a difference in the color you get?

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Depending on where they come from, and who the maker is , they all taste a little different flavor wise, but don't worry about that, just make sure you get the Extra Virgin Olive Oil. and you're good to go. You're more interested in the purity than the taste or flavor /light or anything else, Extra Virgin , gives you this.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Mogorilla

Stay away from the ones saying light, extra-light, etc.  Strictly get Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  I am a chemist in my real life and I worked 5 years as a food chemist in a plant that distilled oils into mono-glycerides for bread additives.   Truth be told, all oils will get "rancid" even Extra Virgin olive oil.  Trick is Extra virgin is extracted in a process called Cold Press.  Fresh olives are taken from the tree, washed and placed in a press.   The oil is allowed to separate from the water and bottled.  this is extra virgin olive oil.   It has a light fruity flavor and is often almost green in colour.   It should be used as a condiment, not for frying.  The mash that is left behind is warmed and pressed again. This is virgin oil.   Then the remaining mash is heated and pressed multiple times, this is oilive oil.  The heating increases the formations of peroxides, this is what causes rancidness.   Extra virgin has not been heated, so it is going to go rancid last, in the case of using it on leather, by the time the oil would have gone rancid, it has long since evaporated and you have treated your leather again.   If you use some of the other oils, like extra light, or just olive oil, some have been treated and such.  Either way you will get a gummy mess as it evaporates and it will go rancid quicker.    Don't use this stuff on your cast iron either you will get the same gummy mess, unless you use it every day.  If using other oils (walnut, grapeseed, etc.), look for the words "cold pressed". 

Silver_Rings

Thanks for the information.

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com