1873 won't feed..

Started by Cash Creek, May 01, 2011, 02:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cash Creek

I have a new rifle Uberti 1873, 45lc.. that won't feed the ammo in to the barrel, it starts in till the lead gets about 3/4  in but then stops..and jams... but I can use a car key and just barely touch the shell and it drops right in.

Any Idea????
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire...handle with care.

Pancho Peacemaker

1) Any modifictions to the rifle?
2) New or used rifle
3) Ammo specs (esp. overall length)?

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Tjackstephens

Also is it round nose flat point? Round nose, semi wad cutter or what? The regular cowboy bullet round nose flat point works best. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

River City John

Check to make sure it's not a .44-40 . . .

Then, if it is reloaded ammo, check to make sure it was crimped properly. Had a recent experience where I was kindly loaned some ammo by a Pard and it turned out they hadn't been crimped. First round jammed in the chamber. Got it out but of course couldn't cycle the rounds out of the magazine, had to take it to a gunsmith to get the rounds out of the magazine, as one was stuck within the carrier.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Cash Creek

New rifle, it says 45LC on it..bullets are round nose flat point and 1.58 long..No modifications,
the bullets go in about a 1/4 inch and stops..I can move the bullet just a bit and point the rifle down and the bullets drop in under it's own weight..after I do get the bullet in and shoot it ejects it ok, next bullet same thing..
I'm going to take it back to the dealer in the morning..I said in a earlier I would look pretty walking around with it..well I didn't look so pretty use a car key to make a NEW Ubrerti shoot.. >:(

Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire...handle with care.

Stillwater

Quote from: Cash Creek on May 01, 2011, 07:54:07 PM

New rifle, it says 45LC on it..bullets are round nose flat point and 5.80 long..

[snip]

A 45 Colt cartridge, that is 5.80 inches long... I don't think that is right. Would you like to try that again?

Bill

Cherokee Bob

Quote from: Stillwater on May 01, 2011, 08:03:36 PM
A 45 Colt cartridge, that is 5.80 inches long... I don't think that is right. Would you like to try that again?

Bill

Maybe 5.80 cm = 2.283 inches ???  

Still too lomg for a 45LC.  Total length of cartridge should be about 1.60" wiith bullet crimped.  The bullet diameter should be 0.454".

The closest match to 2.83" in a 0.45 caliiber would be a 460 S&W Magnum at 2.275" total length and a 0.452 bullet diameter."

Are you sure you don't have some 460 S&W Magnum ammo there?  The cartridge would drop in the chamber if not mated to bolt.  If trying to cycle no good at all.

PS = My data is from the "Hornady Handbook Of Cartridge Reloading" 8th Edition.
Live Free, Shoot Straight Be Strong, Die Hard

Cherokee Bob

Major 2

My guess one or both lifter springs ...is causing a misaligning of the carrier

when planets align...do the deal !

Cash Creek

5.80 is a bit long..it should have been 1.58... told you I was mad...LOL

Stillwater

Quote from: Cash Creek on May 02, 2011, 09:10:21 AM
5.80 is a bit long..it should have been 1.58... told you I was mad...LOL

That is OK, madness runs in a lot of families... Mine too...

Bill

Cash Creek

Got my 73 back today, ;D  going to run a few hundred rounds in it Saturday and Sunday and maybe it and I will be ready for the National.. ???

Major 2

And ?    the problem was  ?  :-\

Cash Creek

It has a name but I don't remember what he said..it's the brass part that raises the bullets up they replace it..

Tjackstephens

Cash, Hope that rifle is working and you can use it for the National. The e-mail that I check all the time is Tjackstephens@yahoo.com  Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Major 2

Quote from: Cash Creek on May 28, 2011, 09:11:43 AM
It has a name but I don't remember what he said..it's the brass part that raises the bullets up they replace it..

Carrier Block

Cash Creek

Quote from: Tjackstephens on May 28, 2011, 09:33:53 AM
Cash, Hope that rifle is working and you can use it for the National. The e-mail that I check all the time is Tjackstephens@yahoo.com  Tj

I got me a back up rifle just in case I have trouble with the NEW one..they just don't make them like they use to..

Cash Creek

Shot another 100 today going to take more that 200 rounds to loosening this rifle up..I might have to shoot a 100 each day next week..

WaddWatsonEllis

Cash, et al,

I have a .45LC-reset-for-.45-Schofield Taylors/Uberti/Codymatic Model '73 Winchester Reproduction. The ONLY problem I had with the rifle was a 'carrier block'  ... but self induced ...

It seems some of the reloaded .45 Schofield (already 0.2" shorter than .45 LC) was just a wee bit shorter in OAL than the rifle could handle ... allowing the rim of the next bullet in the tube to go onto the carrier and jam the rifle solidly when the carrier tried to raise up ...

So a heads up might be to check your ammo OAL ... and if it is too short or long just shoot it in your revolver.

Just my $0.02
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Steel Horse Bailey

Good suggestion, WWE (Skip) but if his ammo stays consistent at the 1.58" OAL he mentioned, he should have no problems.  I go with the Lifter and mis-adjusted lifter springs.

Cash, you didn't say whether the rounds you've fired since getting it back have been chambered well or not, but I'll bet it is OK now.  when all that internal brass gets comfy after firing those 200-300 "break-in" rounds it'll purr like a kitten.

Best of luck in Evansville!  I can't shoot this year, but I hope to be there on Friday to watch and mingle with friends!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Cash Creek

Shot Monday and Tuesday around 150 rounds..and the gun loaded just find..now if I could ONLY get it to hit the target. :o
See you on Friday..CC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com