Quick question for the leather guys

Started by joec, April 27, 2011, 09:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joec

I've been reading this section a lot lately though I have no urge to ever build a rig it is fascinating to me. With that said I see a lot on Walnut oil dyes that I took love the look off but notice a lot if not most use EVOO on it afterward. My question is this, has any one tried a pure Walnut oil for cooking/salad dressing? Now I realize it would cost more as Walnut oil is more expensive than EVOO however would it work and if so how would effect the final out come of the finish on leather? Really just curious as I stated.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Marshal Will Wingam

Walnut oil wouldn't act like a dye. It may not even work as well as EVOO as a leather oil. I'd stay with the time proven oil finish.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

joec

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on April 29, 2011, 12:47:37 PM
Walnut oil wouldn't act like a dye. It may not even work as well as EVOO as a leather oil. I'd stay with the time proven oil finish.

Thanks I was just curious is all. I have no plans on getting into leather work especially with the guys around here that do it super.  ;)
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Marshal Will Wingam

You may want to try it one of these days. Once you get addicted interested, there are many ways to use your skills. Ask questions. This is a great place to learn about leather working.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

joec

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on April 29, 2011, 01:09:13 PM
You may want to try it one of these days. Once you get addicted interested, there are many ways to use your skills. Ask questions. This is a great place to learn about leather working.

I will be asking questions for sure. I'm the curious kind with a lot of interests over my life. However I don't think my hands could take it anymore. ;D
Joe
NCOWS 3384

KidTerico

joec go for it. A lot of older geesers have hand problems. We just work slow. I go in and out of retirement more ofter. KT ;D ;D ;D
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

joec

Nope Kid I have Cliff Fendley creating my holster at this moment for me. I have no urge to get more than a basic knowledge of how it is done.  ;D

I also use a gunsmith when they don't work as to do what I need done the tools alone would cost more than all of my needs to repair them.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

KidTerico

You have a good man doing your holsters. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

joec

Quote from: KidTerico on April 29, 2011, 05:16:49 PM
You have a good man doing your holsters. KT

Of that I have no doubts, since I've seen the stamping of both the belt and holster. Now waiting for the dying to see how close he gets to what I described to him. Oh and the stamping was exactly right on too. ;D
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Drayton Calhoun

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on April 29, 2011, 01:09:13 PM
Ya had it right to begin with, Will, addicted! I have been enjoying the addiction for more than thirty years and hope to remain that way for the next thirty!
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

daddyeaux

Yep and the next thing you know....you are buying a sewing machine..........comin on a slow boat from China and hung up in Customs in California....

Slowhand Bob

Might sound silly BUT, even if I had no plans of working with western leather, I would still have felt that owning a couple of the good videos available helped understand the gun leather making process.  If there were ever a guy who had no business going inside a gun, it would be me, but I still enjoy trying to learn and understand the related info available on my personal firearms.  I have personally watched the Chuck Burrows Knife Sheath and Holster Making videos at least a couple of times and actually enjoy watching the artist at work.  Try it,you just might like it!  At some point we just might find thet some of those oils just might start attracting varmints to our leather.   :P :P

bedbugbilly

KT - I, for one, really resent the term "old geezer" . . . . especially when I've worked so hard to earn the title of "old fart"!   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com