One piece Corian Grips

Started by Johnny McCrae, April 26, 2011, 07:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny McCrae

Attached are pictures of one piece Corian grips I just made for my USFA SAA. I've made some two piece grips in the past but was very apprehensive about making one piece grips. My main concerns were fitting and gluing the spacer. I finally found an adhesive on the internet especially formulated for Corian. I also had a machinist friend of mine machine the spacers .005" to .008" thicker than the back-strap. The close machining of the spacer thickness makes for a nice tight fit. The entire process now goes very smooth. In fact, I now find making one piece grips easier than two piece grips IMHO. This set is far from perfect but it's an improvement over previous attempts.

The Corian color used is called "Vanilla" and it sort of resembles Ivory. I get free scraps from a local Counter Top shop.

Now it's back to the shop to finish a matching set for my other Pistol.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Major 2

very nice ...John

I aquired some Corain scrap from a counter top project an installer was doing....haven't tried grips yet but did do s simple knife scales
when planets align...do the deal !

Cliff Fendley

Looking good! Very nice :D

I've used some Corian scraps for inlays on knife handles and those light colors also scrim very nice. I've been thinking about making me some grips, I was actually thinking of milling it from one piece but making two sides and the spacer seems like the ways to go.

You did a great job on them.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Pettifogger

When I think Corian I think kitchen sink counters not gun grips.  Got to admit, those look really good.

Johnny McCrae

Many thanks for the kind words.

Just finished the grips for my other pistol.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Johnny, just Awesome Pal, you have this grip making down to a science, well done. ::) :o 8) ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Fox Creek Kid

One piece grips are more authentic as well for the time period. You did a nice job of fitting.  ;)

River City John

Quote from: Johnny McCrae on April 26, 2011, 07:01:06 PM
Attached are pictures of one piece Corian grips I just made for my USFA SAA. I've made some two piece grips in the past but was very apprehensive about making one piece grips. My main concerns were fitting and gluing the spacer. I finally found an adhesive on the internet especially formulated for Corian. I also had a machinist friend of mine machine the spacers .005" to .008" thicker than the back-strap. The close machining of the spacer thickness makes for a nice tight fit. The entire process now goes very smooth. In fact, I now find making one piece grips easier than two piece grips IMHO. This set is far from perfect but it's an improvement over previous attempts.

The Corian color used is called "Vanilla" and it sort of resembles Ivory. I get free scraps from a local Counter Top shop.

Now it's back to the shop to finish a matching set for my other Pistol.

Johnny,
this would make a good article for The Shootist. You've got pics and everything, and just write your experience out.
Instant article!

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

GunClick Rick

Where do i send my EMFs  back straps ;D I got ivory fever lately,i stole these ;D ;D ;D :)

Sperm whale teeth and little ivory fobs.
Bunch a ole scudders!

Deadeye Don

They look great Johnny and they should wear well, kind of like they would if they were a counter top!!  I agree with RCJ.  You should do an article and submit it to Dave.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

TwoWalks Baldridge

Johnny great leather work and now top notch grip maker ... "when you going to hang your shingle out?  Got a couple 1860's that would look might purty with grips like them.   ;D
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com