44 rim fire

Started by kurt250, April 24, 2011, 01:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry4440

Quote from: Buck Stinson on April 29, 2011, 06:57:31 PM
When you've read it, let me know what you think.  This is an amazing piece of history.  Hillsdale is just a few miles east of Cheyenne.

I have to wait 14-21 days.
:(

Henry4440

Quote from: Buck Stinson on April 29, 2011, 10:31:42 AM
Val Forgett of Navy Arms fame, first introduced a Henry reproduction in 1979.  By the  mid 1980's, Uberti also added the Henry to their product line, which shortly thereafter, ended the life of the Navy Arms Henry.  The first Uberti Henry's were brought into this country and destriduted by Allen Firearms Company in Santa Fe.  I bought mine in 1983 or 1984.  In 1981 Navy Arms, through the coaxing of gun writer Rick Hacker decided to offer a UPRR commemorative Henry in both .44 Henry Rim Fire and .44-40.  Limited to 500 guns total, only 100 of these commemoratives were chambered in .44 Henry Rim Fire.  This run of commemoratives was made in the US and rim fire guns could be shipped directly to the customer, where as the .44-40 guns had to go through an FFL dealer and sold for $695 in either caliber.   The guns were marked UPRR to commemorate the Union Pacific Railroad and one Henry in particular that was lost in a running gun battle with Indians near Hillsdale, Wyoming in 1867.  That story in itself is one for the books.  See Guns & Ammo magazine article by Rick Hacker, February 1981.  Amazing! 

Found this Henry at Cowan Auction:
http://www.cowanauctions.com/auctions/item.aspx?ItemId=94273

.44-40 caliber, 22" barrel, S/N UP115. Brass frame, blue barrel, walnut stock. Right side of receiver engraved To commemorate the iron bond forged between guns and the railroads that helped unite the American frontier; left side engraved U.P.R.R.

;)

Major 2

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on April 25, 2011, 11:44:37 PM
Sean, let me ask you when the Uberti Henry first became available? I remember them being first advertised in the Spring of 1982 when I bought mine from Primitive Arms in Ozark, MO. At that time it was marked Allen Arms. Another poster on this forum says he bought his Uberti Henry in 1980 but I could swear they were not made then.  ???

Kid... that may have been me, I ordered my Uberti in late 1980 the price was $350 + 10% for my FFL in was in 44/40 with shipping I paid $386.
I got it, before March 1981....  this is my recollection.
I used it at Sayler's Creek Va.  at the April, 81 Reenactment with my cavalry unit, we had 3 , Mine , Bill Koon's & Steve Mack's
I have 444 marlin blanks made for it... I bought a butt swivel & a barrel Staple ( orginials ) from Dixie Gun Works
and modified a Springfield Musket Sling.
I used this gun off & on along with my Sharps carbine reenacting till 1989, when I sold it for $400 ... the buyer
used it a few years reenacting and some forays into WAS. It became a safe queen with most of the blueing worn or brown,
I have been trying to buy it back for about 2 years, but the guy (a friend) say's he''ll leave it to me  :-\

when planets align...do the deal !

JP Smith

Henry4440
Did you get the G&A magazine and how was the article? I have a NIB UPRR and would like to get a copy of the article to go along with it.
Thanks
JP

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com