Need help with lube-a-sizer dies and punches.

Started by Two-Bits, July 27, 2005, 09:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two-Bits

I've purchased a used RCBS lube-a-sizer to size and lube my .452 PRS bullets and .401 Big Lube .38-40 bullets.  I need the dies, top punches and the bottom punch ( what ever you call that).

Can someone tell me exactly what I need or what do I specify when I order these.

Thanks.

Two-Bits
_______
Two-Bits

john boy

Two Bits:  I do a couple of things:
1.  Stop in over at the Dark Sider on The Frontier Spot and ask the question
2.  Then give RCBS a call

I use the Lyman 450, so I'm no help at all.
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

El Paso Pete

The bottom punch ya get with the die.  Findin a top punch may be a problem but you can make yer own. 
Get a top punch that is to big.
Put 4 cleanin patches on the nose of the bullet and push it down in the die.
Take the patches off and replace 'em with a piece of Saran wrap.
Mix up a bean size piece of JB Weld or somethin like it.
Stick it up the top punch.
Lower the top punch down on the bullet, not to hard.
Go away and bother yer friends fer a awhile or talk to yer horse. 
Next day ya got a custom made top punch.
Before ya take it out of the press make a mark so you can get it back in the same way.
El Paso Pete   SASS #55577L  RATS #1
Mules,  Whiskey,  Diamonds,  Nails,  Gold Mines,  Fly Swatters,  Barbed Wire,  Oil Wells,  Runnin Irons.
Governments Run, Revolutions Started, Uprising Quelled, Bridges Destroyed, Saloons Emptied, Whiskey Bonded, Taxes Collected, Gold Mines Salted

EL PASO PETE'S MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
Simply return the unused portion of the product and
El Paso Pete will refund the unused portion of your money.

Singing Bear

Coulda sworn I posted a suggestion. ???

Sizing dies come with bottom "punches".  For top punches, look for an RCBS catalog or check their website if they have one.  Usually, top punches are listed with each bullet design for bullet moulds.  Just have to look for the design closest to what you have and order the top punch for it.

Or like El Paso Pete, make your own.  Heard homemade works pretty good and won't disfigure bullet noses.  No guarantees that the factory top punch will fit your bullet design of choice perfectly.  :)

Hell-Er High Water

Another way to solve the problem that I have been using for years is:

1.  Get a top punch of the correct caliber for a flat nose bullet or even better a flat punch for a wad cutter.

2.  Completly degrease the end of the punch that engages the bullet.

3.  Wrap several layers of Scotch tape around the punch and a bullet placed nose first against the punch.

4.  Remove the bullet and coat the nose with bullet lube or another "release" agent.

5.  Mix a small batch of 5 minute epoxy and put it in the Scotch tape cup on the end of the punch.

6.  Insert the greased bullet, nose first into the cup, work out the air bubbles and excess epoxy and let it cure.

7.  After curing, remove the tape and the bullet and trim away any excess epoxy.

You now have a top punch that fits the bullet nose perfectly.  This method also works for making special seating seating stems for your reloading dies.

By the way, Lyman and RCBS size dies and top punches are interchangeable; either will fit either lube-sizer.

Hope that this helps.

Rich Heller
Hell-Er High Water

Tangle Eye

Two Bits - it ain't all that complicated at all. Just get in touch with Dick Dastardly and he'll tell you what top punches you need for each of those bullets as he was instrumental in getting the moulds made up etc. But - for what its worth - I use the .45 PRS bullets and the correct top punch for that is Lyman #649 (or whatever the RCBS equivalent is). If you look at the sizer dies and top punches on Midway's site (www.midwayusa.com) they list alternatives as well that can be helpful.

I know when I got my sizer a long time ago I wondered what I didin't know. These things are pretty simple.  The sizing die goes in the bottom of the lubri-sizer and sizes the bullet as you lower the handle after setting the bullet base-down in the circle on top of the die. The little ratchet of course tightens down a plug as you move it slightly to force lube through the holes in the die into the bullet grooves (or groove in your case). The only reason the top punch even matters is so you won't deform the tip of your bullet as you press the bullet down into the sizer die.  So - all you need is the sizer die and the top punch for whatever bullet you want to size.

Lyman and RCBS sizer dies and top punch may be freely interchanged as they are designed to fit each other's lubri-sizers.

Just a suggestion here that I found worked well.  You may want to consider sizing the PRS bullets to .454 instead of .452 (you'll need the larger case expander that probably came with your 45 Colt dies so the bullet goes into the case without any problem). If you shoot .45 Colt in a rifle, this slightly larger size helps reduce blowback for reasons I won't even get into here.  It works.  If you are only using them in a pistol then .452 if just fine.

Warthog, SBSS #506, Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp #219, NRA Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com