C&B Pistol

Started by Mason Stillwell, April 22, 2011, 09:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fingers McGee

Quote from: WaddWatsonEllis on May 24, 2011, 07:06:26 PM
Addendum,
Just above the Loading Lever on the right die of the barrel it reads "SM Black powder Only Cal  44 Made In Italy'
Does this mean my pistol is an (Armi) San Marcos?

Wadd,

Yes it was made by Armi San Marco and was imported by EMF back in the 90s.  The square with a B inside it should have another letter with it.  That would be the date code for the pistol. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

WaddWatsonEllis

Fingers,

Thanks!

As was stated, there was no Maker listed on the gun ... I was told it was a pietta ... and infact the Pietta owners many/all shows all the stamps as theirs .... but I think it my have been a midstream production when ASM was selling some of it's machines or factories to Pietta and this was the offshoot ....

But it is nice to know that it is an ASM through EMF and be able to tell the parts people just what I have .... there must have been a lot of them sold in the Sacramento area 'cause they ended up being used to fire floral foam by many of the reenactors ... the thought is that they make a bigger boom and give off more smoke than a .36 ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Noz

Fingers McGee

Quote from: WaddWatsonEllis on May 24, 2011, 11:23:45 PM
As was stated, there was no Maker listed on the gun ... I was told it was a pietta ... and infact the Pietta woners manyal shos all the stamps as theirs .... but I think it my have been a vidstream production whenre ASM was selling some of it's machines or factories to Pietta and this was the offshoot ....

The two proof marks you described on yours are the same on ALL Italian guns.  Can you identify the second letter in the box with the B?  you can use this link to determine the date your pistol was made:

https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/POWDER/MBPProofmarks.pdf

Armi San Marco marked their revolvers with ASM, SM, San Marco, Marco, and a stylized capital A with an S and M intertwined with it
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Mason Stillwell

Great information here.
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

somdrelichunter

Sorry to bump this up to the top guys.... I am new here and a new owner of a C&B pistol... Well, actually, I got this pistol about 4 or 5 years ago and its just been sitting in my safe wrapped in a rag but as of late I have Had a hankering to start this new hobby so long as I can find time. I am bringing this one back because I am not sure which gun I have... It is an ASM with a round barrel in .44 with a short grip... I would love to see the gentleman Mako's post with pictures... For some reason I cannot get them to show up for me... Anyway, I am sure just as in any other forum you guys love to see pics and I will do my best tonight when I get home from work. Just curious if anybody knows off hand if ASM made a navy in .44 with a round barrel? Seems all I see with a round barrel is an Army wich appears to have a longer grip... Thanks for your help guys and I LOVE this forum. I can't wait to get my pistol shooting! (Broke it all down and getting it tip top the last couple days) Also, I think I got a good deal on it... 75 bucks with powder balls and caps... Sound good?

Paladin UK

:-[  :-[ Am I the only one that cannot see Makos piccies???  :-[  :-[
Paladin (What wants ta see the piccies  :P) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Mako

somdrelichunter,
Welcome...

Which thread are you having problems with?  The ones in the Dark Arts library?

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,39098.0.html
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,35696.0.html

or different ones?  Some of the images are Flash driven on some threads and others linked to another server holding PNG or JPG files.  I was having problems for a while with a couple of individuals on another site actually stealing the images and reusing them.  I pretty much have that under control now and can change things back so anyone should be able to see them.  I have had complaints from a few people that they couldn't see the images that were driven by a flash viewer.  There seems to be some compatibility issues with different browsers and the installed version of Adobe flash (in the case of Apple they won't play together...).

Let me know.

The ASM sounds like a good deal... what is the barrel length and does it look like this?

or this?

Is the barrel like the one on the left or the one on the right?

Does it have a brass, or a steel frame?

Regards,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Mako

Quote from: Paladin UK on December 06, 2011, 01:06:10 PM

:-[  :-[ Am I the only one that cannot see Makos piccies???  :-[  :-[
Paladin (What wants ta see the piccies  :P) UK

Quit your whin'n...
If you want to see something (or can't) all you have to do is ask.  Which pictures or images are you having problems with?  Can you see the three I posted above? 

Are you confusing right mouse clicks with left mouse clicks? ::)  You should be used to driving on the left side by now...

:P Mako

somdrelichunter

Thank you Mako for your prompt response!!
You sir are extremely knowledgeable in your field. It's no wonder others use your pictures as they are pretty amazing.
The pictures I am having trouble seeing are on the first page of this thread. You wrote a lengthy explanation of the differences in the Navys and the Armys. You showed the early production through the later production and I would love to be able to see the pictures along with the post. My barrel is definitely one solid piece like the one shown on the right. When I get home tonight I would be more than happy to take some pics. I just broke it all down last night before I hit the hay so I can take pictures of just about any part y'all want to see! Inlcuding serial numbers...(Maybe someone here knows how to read them?)
Again, I appreciate the warm welcome!

somdrelichunter

Forgot to mention; There's a Naval scene on the cylinder (although, I have seen both with that engraving) And from the front of the cylinder to the end of the barrel I'd say it's probably 7 or 8 inches...

somdrelichunter

And by "I have seen" I mean I have seen(on google image search) lol  ;D

Mako

somdrelichunter,
Look at the images now and tell me if there are any you can't see.

~Mako

rbertalotto

Man! What an amazing thread! THANK YOU! And if you are this informative when you are grumpy, I can't imagine how good you are when in a good mood!

This is extremely timely as I just ordered two 1851 Piettas from Cabelas with 5.5" barrels ($129 ea) and I have a friend that wants to sell me two 1860 Pietta "Lawmen" for $300 the pair.

I have an 1858 Pietta that I simply love to shoot. Now that I'm involved with CAS, I'd like to shoot these various revolvers in a few meets.

Can you recommend a good book that might take the subject further?

And where can I get good advise on shooting these revolvers in CAS. My biggest issue is always trying to keep the caps on the nipples.... :-[

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Mako

rbertalotto,

First read this:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,39098.msg497584.html#msg497584

And when you can snatch the Remington #11 cap from my hand it is time for you to leave...

Actually read this one too, and then ask if you have any questions.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,35696.msg457397.html#msg457397

~Mako

rbertalotto

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

somdrelichunter

Mako-

Pics work perfect now! Thank You!
Just Finished cleaning it and putting it back together... Is it normal for the damn barrel wedge to be so difficult to move in and out?
I had a bit of trouble with it... Ok. So here are the pics. The barrel is right around 7.5 inches. Thoughts?

Mako

Congratulations you have a "real" Griswold & Gunnison" Revolver just like Cullen Bohannon carries on the new series Hell on Wheels.!!!  Not really, they call it that, but if you read the thread below you will find it is a Brass frame .44 caliber "1860 Army" model with shorter Navy size grips and a brass back strap.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,40582.msg512929.html#msg512929

You got a deal for $85 and it should bring you years of enjoyment.

We can tell from the date code "AU" in the square box it was made in 1989.
https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/POWDER/MBPProofmarks.pdf

Since it is a Brass frame you should probably limit the powder load to 25 to 27 grains max.  That's a typical load for most CAS shooters anyway.  I'd use Ø.454 balls and you can decide if you want to use lube over the ball, or a lubricated Wad under the ball.

~Mako

somdrelichunter

Mako-
Thank you so much for all your help!
I can't wait to shoot it. Now, I have never loaded or shot a black powder gun before... Any recommended reading material; books, posts on this forum, etc.? Maybe a video? I just want to make sure I understand what I am doing so I don't blow myself up! Also, is there a modification people make to make the barrel wedge so its not so hard to move in and out?? That drove me nuts!

Thank you again so much for your help!!! You are quite the asset to this hobby.

WaddWatsonEllis

Okay Mako,

I really have a challenge for you ....The serial number is E57XXX ... which is listed on the frame just in front of the trigger guard
(but not ON the trigger guard!)

The left side of the frame has a square with BI inside of it: forward of that is a  "PN with a wreath over it; then foremost is a coat of arms with a small wreath above it.

The barrel has a crest with a wreath on it on the right side; foremost is a coat of Arms with a wreath above it.

Finally, on top of the octagonal barrel is marked HARTFORD CT MODEL

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com