Tuneing Colt SAA

Started by TRCornell, April 16, 2011, 03:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRCornell

Howdy Y'all!
Does anyone know of any sites such as the maurader.homestead site which covers tuneing Ruger New Vaqueros and other "Cowboy Irons" that covers the Colt SAA's. I am interested in spring kit recommendations, polishing tips etc. Any help much appreciated.    Injun Tommy   ???

Fox Creek Kid

Do a Google search as there are a few for Rugers. However, a Colt SAA is far more complicated and IMO no rookie should attempt it as more than likely it will cost you more to have it fixed afterwards. Especially if you are not 100% familiar with the style of gun. Reduced springs are not always the answer. I had a a Wolff reduced spring in a new Ruger .44 Special (non CAS usage) and hated it. Went back to the stock spring. Just my 2 cents.

Sagebrush Burns

My own experience with Colt SAAs is that a reduced power main spring is usually all you need to do.  Over the years I'v shot over a dozen of them extensively and only two required more tuning than that.  One (but only one out of them all) was really rough from the factory and another, purchased used, had been previously worked on by a hacker.  If your SAA needs it, an action job by a top gunsmith is in the $150 range and worth it.

TRCornell

Sagebrush:
Thanks for your reply. I may end up going the gunsmith route. My stage partner sent his clones to Pioneer and was real happy wwith their work. I did my own Vaqueros, but I understand the Colts are a litle touchy.
Injun Tommy

TRCornell

Fox Creek:
Thanks for your two cents worth.
Injun Tommy

Abilene

Like Sagebrush Burns, I have found that for the most part my Colts and clones only needed a spring kit.  I did have a couple of Colts that were purchased used and had timing problems so I went ahead and got action jobs on those two.  They only feel slightly smoother than the guns with just spring kits.  Most new guns will have the timing pretty close.  If the trigger pull feels okay and is without creep, you may be good to go.

I agree that messing with timing, bolt fit, triggers, etc can be best left to someone with experience, but this webpage gives you some idea of some smoothing that can be done: http://www.hobbygunsmith.com/Archives/Oct04/Interview.htm

Coffinmaker

Tuning a SAA or one of the newer copies is not for the neophyte.  There is a starting point, and that is the springs.  I would recommend two, I like the reduced power main spring from VTI Gunparts, coupled with a Pietta trigger/bolt spring.  I do not care for wire trigger/bolt springs as they make the action feel mushy to me (personal preference) so I use the Pietta T/B spring. also from VTI.  I also like the "Lee's Gunsmithing Gunfighter" spring set from Brownells.  I don't use the wire T/B spring that comes in the package and substitute the Pietta spring.  These are the springs I use for all my customers.  I quit grinding factory springs.
The spring will make an appreciable difference in the SAA, USFA and Italian copies.  If there are other problems in the gun, light springs may make them seem worse.  However, if the timing is relatively close, there is no throw-by and the basic function is as it should be, the spring change is probably all you need.  To go beyond the springs takes someone who understands the SA workings and parts.  Or, you spending a lot of quality time in several books and buying a lot of replacement parts. :o

Coffinmaker

Fox Creek Kid

Coffinmaker

FCK,

I had a bad experience with Wolff some time back and haven't given them a second chance at me.  I don't like Wolff springs for the Ruger either. And .......
One Stop Shopping.  I do a lot of business with VTI and it's easier just to have them throw a dozen T/B springs when I order other stuff.

Coffinmaker

TRCornell

A :) Abilene and Coffinmaker:  Thanks much. Really good input. Mucho appreciated!   Injun Tommy

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: Coffinmaker on April 21, 2011, 08:41:35 PM...I don't like Wolff springs for the Ruger either...

Neither do I. For that matter, their S&W "factory" replacement K Frame mainspring is underpowered. To be frank, I have never had the need to order their flat bolt springs but I assumed they were good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com