New Here

Started by Medicine Bear Charley, April 09, 2011, 07:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medicine Bear Charley

Greetings I'm new here and looking to learn a bit about Spencers and what is available, what to look for and suggestions as I begin searching for my first carbine. I have been looking on Gunbroker and see that there are still a fair number of real weapons on the market, but to start with I'm thinking a replica. I know very little about these rifles, read a little on them when I was doing Cavalry reenacting and looking for something a bit different. Like some others say, I'm not so much about winning as I am about having fun when I shoot.
If you have a suggest I'm here to learn.

Medicine Bear Charley,
Slow down a bit.....you'll get a more harmonious outcome.....
Charley

Slow down....you will get a more harmonious out come....

Preston County Rider

Medicine Bear Charlie - welcome to the Spencer world. If SASS is what you are looking to do, would suggest a replica in 45LC - lots of ammo and easy with that caliber. If you load your own, even better. I would start with a new replica if you can afford it and I would look to Taylor's - Cimarron has them as well. Now, you will not be able to load ten rounds, you will be laughed at and timed with an hourglass but when you are done shooting, your pards will say "Damn, that was something else!" Trust me, been there.
Oh, one other thing, the Spencer MUST be shot with Black Powder - it is a rule - seriously - OK, maybe not completely seriously but to truly appreciate the gun that really did win the war and the west, BP is the way to go. Good luck, have fun and appreciate the history.
PCR

Medicine Bear Charley

Thanks for the welcome and suggestion. I do reload, a good friend suggested it to me as a means of relaxing, supporting my hobby and I think his former wife wanted a way for him to get rid of some  of his excess reloaders.
Charley

SGT John Chapman

Yes,.....Unless your made of money,....a reproduction in a common Cal is advisable......
Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

CAS City Profile For Sgt John Chapman

kurt250

charly, i own two of the spencers. a rifle and a carbine. there both in 56-50 cal. i find the original cal.  easy to reload and the weapons work just fine in that caliber.the brass is around and not that expensive. it reloads with black powder very easily and are fun to shoot.i like my replicas as close to the original as possible. kurt250

Medicine Bear Charley

Thank you gentlemen for your input, I'm looking at all the options, spent a far amount of time going through the forums to learn as much as I can. I may have found one locally to put a few rounds through. Keep you posted on my progress. Keep your eye on the skyline.
Charley

Caleb Hobbs

Kind of changing the subject, but I really love that Schofield in your avatar. Combine that with your Spencer and you are going to have a sweet outfit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com