Whitney Kennedy 44-40 added to my stable

Started by shrapnel, April 02, 2011, 11:56:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shrapnel

I saw this gun some time ago and fell in love with it. It was made in 1880 and is in excellent condition, being the early model with the "S" lever. The bore is bright and shiny. There is color case still on the hammer, and a Beech front sight.

I found it listed in Dale Olson's book "The Burgess Long Range Repeating Rifle" and it is listed just as I got the gun. I took the tang peep off the gun to shoot it. I hope to do that this afternoon.

I had never seen one before, now I are a owner, what do you think???

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Cookie

I've always been fascinated by the less-common guns of the era, and that one's a beauty!  :o

And she's in great condition, considering the age! Is that the original blueing on the barrel?

Is gonna be a CAS gun, or for display only?

One, question I've always had - how do you throw those s-shaped levers? Do you just use your pinkie finger? Or is there room for more fingers? Seems a bit awkward...

St. George

I think you've got yourself a helluva nice rifle...

You should be proud.

As to the 'throwing' of the lever - lever-actions of the era were designed to feed a cartridge into the chamber and extract it relaibly - and 'not' as some sort of modern day 'rapid-fire' device.

The Whitney-Kennedy rifle does this just fine and with little effort.

Beautiful rifle!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

shrapnel

I did get out with it and draw blood. I got a couple gophers even though the weather was not great. It shoots well and will see more action in the years to come in small game and cowboy action shooting. It is all original and in excellent shape for a gun 130 years old...

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Cookie

Quote from: St. George on April 03, 2011, 11:13:14 AM
As to the 'throwing' of the lever - lever-actions of the era were designed to feed a cartridge into the chamber and extract it relaibly - and 'not' as some sort of modern day 'rapid-fire' device.

The Whitney-Kennedy rifle does this just fine and with little effort.

I think you misunderstood my question - I wasn't criticizing the mechanics, I was simply asking how you fit your hand in the odd-shaped hole provided by the lever.

Having never used anything like that, what I'm picturing just seems awkward.

@Shrapnel - Man, I wish I could deal with my gophers that way!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com