Triple Seven

Started by Cemetery, March 18, 2011, 07:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cemetery

Can anybody tell me the gunk/fouling factor of Triple Seven?  Thinking of giving a try with smaller calibers.

I've only used GOEX in my two years of being a Darksider. 

???

God forgives, I don't........

hellgate

I HAD a 357 BP load that would shoot all day but grouped 5-6" @ 50 yds and another BP load that would shoot into 1.5" @ 50 yds but needed a wet "pull through" between stages to not foul up the last 6" of barrel. Same thing for Pyrodex P but a little less fouling. Then I tried Black Canyon and it shot great with little fouling but  loading was tedious as it needed compressing twice but shot well. Black Mag 3 was also good and did not need compressing other than during bullet seating. Then I tried 777. Not knowing any better I got the FFF size and put into the 357 cases. It works great, will shoot all day and groups nicely. I've used a variety of bullets (all 158gr) and lubes and it does fine. When shooting from a bench at 50 yds at steel: BP, Pyro P, Blk Can, Blk Mag, etc=  POW............ Ding! 
With 777 its  POW......Ding! I shoots faster too. I have found that 15grs of FFFg 777 does the job I need and I never looked back although one time I tried the Snakebite bullet with real BP and it shot fine but I had unreliable feeding through my Rossi 92s so I didn't get the mold. I'm not worried about using the FFF in the 357 mag as it is a high pressure cartridge but a 45LC or 44-40 in a 66 or 73 might  be pushing the pressure limits with the fff 777.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Capt. Augustus

Used 777 in .32-20 and .32 H&R, works great.  You can shoot a complete match and then clean up with about 4 patches.

Fingers McGee

Quote from: Capt. Augustus on March 19, 2011, 06:50:49 PM
Used 777 in .32-20 and .32 H&R, works great.  You can shoot a complete match and then clean up with about 4 patches.

Pure water & a few patches is all it takes.  When I use it in my '66, cleanup takes about 5 minutes.  MWNN revolvers take a couple minutes longer.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Pulp

Back in the days when I had two SAA clones in .44-40 one would shoot all day with 777, the other would start binding after a couple of stages.  Never could figure out why.  One of the fellers that answers the phone at Hodgdons said he had two revolvers that were just like mine.

2004  Badlands Bar 3 Four States Champion, Frontiersman
(I was the only one there)

WWCAS (World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter)

Fairshake

I use nothing but pure and real BP in all my guns. I refuse to use any sub and that is just my way. Now that is out of the way I would first look at barrel cylinder gap on any revolver that binds after a few rounds. For real BP the Gap should be .007-.008 I have heard that the subs don't have problems so I can go no further with my info. I will say that when shooting my real BP that I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease on the base pin and bushing before assembly. My guns have shot 6 stages and still spin like the first one. The clean up on real BP is not a problem if the guns are prepared correctly.
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Capt. Montgomery Little

Fairplay,  What do you mean when you say that BP will cleanup nicely if the guns are "prepared correctly"?

Blackpowder Burn

I can't speak for Fairshake, but I use a soft alloy bullet (20:1) that carries a lot of soft black powder lube (SPG, etc.).    Personally, I use DD's Big Lube bullets. I then lube the base pin with Ballistol.

I shoot a two-day match before cleaning my guns.  I can clean each with 3 or 4 patches and a pass of the bore snake.  I can't see spending the extra money for the BP substitutes.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Dick Dastardly

There is one application that I choose to use 777 for.  All other SASS ammo is loaded with "Genuine Powder".  I have a little spur trigger Remington with a Kirst Konverter cylinder chambered for .32 S&W.  When loaded with my .32 Cal. Big Lube®LLC bullets those tiny cases just don't hold enough black powder to get the job done.  So, I've been loading them with FFFg 777 to get enough oomph.  I've tried FFFFg black powder and that works too, but the gun shoots too high with it.  With a raised front sight and the added snap of the dang sub powder the little gun shoots to POA.  I do cleanup the same as I do for my other pistols.

So, there's my confession.  I do use 777, a little. . . :-[

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Lucky R. K.

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on March 24, 2011, 09:04:47 AM
So, there's my confession.  I do use 777, a little. . . :-[

DD-DLoS

I'll put in a good word for you tonight.

Lucky  ;D
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Dick Dastardly

Thanks Lucky,

I need some good words.  I've got cabin fever so bad that I'm thinkn' of shootn' some snow men.  Two more weeks till I kin make smoke at a match.  Seems like forever.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

WaddWatsonEllis

Jimmy Buffet wrote a song about the one time he wintered over in the North .... one of the verses goes:

Last night
I shot six holes im my freezer
I think I got cabin fever
I gotta go where it's warm....

LOL
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com