Softner for leather?

Started by joec, March 10, 2011, 10:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joec

I have a new gun/cartridge belt and would like to soften up only the section of the belt with the buckle holes are. It is a bit stiff here and if a bit softer would be easier to buckle I think.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

KidTerico

I work mine by hand till it softened up. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

joec

I've been doing that now for about 2 weeks and it is still very stiff. I think this holster belt rig is finished with a natural finish. I would guess it is olive oil but don't know for sure.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

rickk

Major 2

Skidmore's leather cream
www.skidmores.com

when planets align...do the deal !

joec

Thanks RickK I have some Neatsfoot oil but wasn't sure about using it.

Major I will pick up some of the Skidmore's also though I've never used it I see it is used a lot here by the guys making holsters.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Irish Dave

Ko-Cho-Line.
Sometimes harder to find, but none better.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

WaddWatsonEllis

I called the number on the  Skidmore's website and ordered a 17 oz bottle and had it in four business days ... I haven't tried it yet, but it seems to be the de riguer (present company noted and accepted)among leatherworkers. It seems Skidmore's  (beside the very uncommercial name; but hey, it's the family name) is a family product and they are both proud and very stringent about the quality of their product ... when I placed my order, I was actually placing it with a Skidmore!  In this world of offshore customer service, when was the last time that happened to you? *S*
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

rickk

Joec, if ya ever want to see what one person who knows holsters and gun belts does, get John Bianchi's holster making DVD.

It is not a beginner's DVD... John assumes you know what the tools do and have made a holster or two already. The purpose of the DVD is to give some of the finer points from his perspective. I learned a few cool tricks watching it. If you have already tried a holster and gun belt or two, there will be several oooo's and aaaa's and oooyaaaa's as he shows you a few tricks.

Anyway, when you get to the third DVD, you will see that Bianchi is far from bashful about using plenty of Neatsfoot oil. He says he uses about 1/2 a pint on a lined belt/holster set and when you see how he applies it you will believe it.

joec

Quote from: rickk on March 21, 2011, 09:42:08 PM
Joec, if ya ever want to see what one person who knows holsters and gun belts does, get John Bianchi's holster making DVD.

It is not a beginner's DVD... John assumes you know what the tools do and have made a holster or two already. The purpose of the DVD is to give some of the finer points from his perspective. I learned a few cool tricks watching it. If you have already tried a holster and gun belt or two, there will be several oooo's and aaaa's and oooyaaaa's as he shows you a few tricks.

Anyway, when you get to the third DVD, you will see that Bianchi is far from bashful about using plenty of Neatsfoot oil. He says he uses about 1/2 a pint on a lined belt/holster set and when you see how he applies it you will believe it.

Well I sure won't be making any holsters or doing leather work at my age.  ;) But did get the part of the belt softer with Neatsfoot oil so it does work fine for my needs at the moment. I actually own a Bianchi holster for one of my semi auto pistols.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com