CMSA rig question

Started by Abominable Bill, March 08, 2011, 10:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abominable Bill

Pardon me if I am in the wrong forum to ask such a question; but I figured someone could direct me as to whom may be able to make what I have in my head, if it is all possible.
Is it possible to build a shoulder holster that would carry a short barreled Colt SAA style revolver in a manner where the angle of the revolver is somewhere between vertical and horizontal? Say about 10:00 o'clock position?
I have an idea in my head for a CMSA rig that would incorporate a Hardin style shoulder holster that angles the gun for ease of drawing and returning to the holster. At the bottom of the shoulder rig would be a leather loop that would act as an anchor. A waist belt would run through the loop and help to keep the shoulder rig stationary. A cross draw holster would be worn on the belt for the second gun. The complete rig would place both revolvers on one side of the shooter in drawing angles similar to one another. One revolver high close to the chest and the second low at the waist. Would such a rig be possible to make?
Can someone direct me to a accomplished leathersmith who could create such a rig?
Thanks all...  ;)

outrider

Bill,

There are probably 4 or 5 pards on this forum who could make such a rig.  For your information do a look up on the 1942 Tanker holster.  It is similar in design to what you are describing.  Would have to be done in the wetern style though.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Wild Horse Hans

My friend had a rig like that. He stopped using it after the cross strap got hooked around his saddle horn and dang near dumped him. Be careful.
There is no better view of the world than from the back of a wild horse
BOSS #205

outrider

SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Slowhand Bob

You do not say and this may not matter to you but such a rig is not allowed in the SASS shooting game.

outrider

Slowhand,

I thought that also but according the the mounted rules they are allowed to wear shoulder holsters
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Abominable Bill

Quote from: Slowhand Bob on March 09, 2011, 05:49:41 PM
You do not say and this may not matter to you but such a rig is not allowed in the SASS shooting game.
Never said anything about SASS. CMSA allows shoulder holsters.
Quote from: Wild Horse Hans on March 09, 2011, 12:34:15 PM
My friend had a rig like that. He stopped using it after the cross strap got hooked around his saddle horn and dang near dumped him. Be careful.
I don't want anything like a Huckleberry or Doc Holliday type of rig. Looking at pictures of those one could easily envision getting caught up in the riggin'. A Hardin type of rig would keep the shoulder strapping up out of the way. The waist belt would work with the anchor loop (which would be off to the side/back of the waist area) and carry the cross draw holster. Now correct me if I am wrong; but there are CMSA shooters using waist type gunbelts with cross draw holsters. Myself, I was looking for an alternative to a pair of crossdraws on one belt.
I don't post much. I'd rather lurk. It's the problem with web forums, if you don't post the usuals take you for one that just fell of the turnip wagon. I have made plenty of my own holsters in my day. I just never did anything like a shoulder rig and would want something more professional looking. I've been around guns for about 30 years and some of them were spent on the other side of the gun counter selling to the folks that swing guns around and point them where they shouldn't. For leather work well I'm no artist; but after not having made anything with leather for about 20 years I made these last summer.

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

Abominable Bill

Actually something more like this with more angle
http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-44-10-1895-hardin-shoulder-rig.aspx

The front strap of the Huckleberry would have a possibility to get snagged on the horn. The support strap of the Hardin rig goes behind ones back and loops over the front of the shoulder. An addition to that strap that I think would add comfort would be a slotted pad that slides on that off shoulder strap to allow the wearer to slide the pad up or down on their shoulder to help support the weight of any stress it may impose. Add a loop to the bottom of the holster area to allow the gunbelt to pass through and one would have what I envisioned.

outrider

Bill,
Have you had a chance to look at a 1942 tanker holster (M3)....they can be modified to fit a revolver and were designed for tank drivers and pilots who were in a seated position.  The newer version (M-7) has an addition strap around the chest...take a look at these....El Paso Saddlery makes them for autos and for single actions....
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Abominable Bill

Outrider I did find your post on the one you made. That looks great! Nice work  ;D
I'll take a look at El Paso's too. I was drawn to the Hardin style as I was looking for something from the 1800's era.
Another that has my interest is the Mathias Roundtree Rig from Harrison Leather: http://harrisonleather.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68&Itemid=77
I like the idea of the bridle hook for adjustment. I dropped them a note asking if it worked with crossdraw holsters; but have not gotten a reply. I really feel that a 45 degree or so angle would make a great difference in securely reholstering over vertical or horizontal.

Abominable Bill

I think this one from Purdy Gear fits my idea the best. Boy she makes nice stuff.

outrider

I agree...she does make nice stuff....
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com