Should my groover tool give me a long ribbon or "chips"?

Started by Tallbald, February 26, 2011, 03:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tallbald

I think I'm trying to use this tool using a  wrong technique. It's the Tandy pro groover with a guide. Trying different hold angles seems to make no difference--I always seem to get tears and chips, worse if used on the flesh side. I've not sharpened the blade from the factory, and I know I'm using the cutting edge, not trailing edge. Something tells me I should, with practice, be getting a long thin strip removed like happens when using my edging tool. Guidance sure appreciated. Thanks, Don.

ChuckBurrows

Dampen your leather lightly before using either a groover or an edger - makes a big difference. On grovver's I recommend getting extra blades because some are just not made right and trying to sharpen them properly can be an exercise in frustration.....
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

rickk

I use mine on dry leather. It makes a single strand as long as I don't make a sharp turn.

I use one of these. I have no idea how to sharpen it as I have never had a need to. I have spare blades but the original one seems to last forever.

http://zackwhite.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16593&cat=564&page=1

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: rickk on February 26, 2011, 06:01:10 PM
I use mine on dry leather. It makes a single strand as long as I don't make a sharp turn.

I use one of these. I have no idea how to sharpen it as I have never had a need to. I have spare blades but the original one seems to last forever.

http://zackwhite.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16593&cat=564&page=1

That's the one I have also and I have found the angle I hold the blade makes a huge difference
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Pards, like Chuck Burrows pointed out, dampening the edges makes all the difference in the world, for using your edge bevelor, or stitch groover, and it doesn't dull these tools like using them on dry leather. IMHO

tEN wOLVES
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

saddlebuilder

I use the same groover as pictured, damp leather and such. But I have also had a small piece jam up in the hole and it gave me fits until I cleaned it out.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: saddlebuilder on March 07, 2011, 05:47:06 PM
I use the same groover as pictured, damp leather and such. But I have also had a small piece jam up in the hole and it gave me fits until I cleaned it out.

That happens, and some times if you get the leather more than damp, you will get dragging and chips like were mentioned, I can usually drag my groover over some dryer leather to clear the hole out, I've never had to poke it out, but who knows that might have to happen some day, when edge beveling the same is true, you just want the edge damp, not wet, or you will get bad results.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com