First Holster: "comedy of Errors" complete

Started by TwoWalks Baldridge, February 23, 2011, 06:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwoWalks Baldridge

I made no shortage of mistakes while making this holster and one of them was even half intentional.  The stitching left a sour taste in my mouth when I realized it had actually disappeared ... A thread was started and this has been worked out.

The border stamping was not intended as finished but I did not reverse the pattern when I got to the center section so I doubled it and was surprised how it turned out.

The stain will probably bring a chuckle to more than one person so here it is. Not being patient enough to wait until I could order a few items, I just used what I could find in the house, so settled on, Old English Scratch cover.

Mainly I wanted something to carry my 1860 army in for awhile and to begin learning this skill.  I learned a lot but mainly I learned that I have a lot to learn.  It was enjoyable and I can not wait to begin my next holster.  I do now have some leather dye and other items that are needed to put a good finish on leather.

When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Drayton Calhoun

Not bad for a first holster, beats my first one! Actually looks pretty danged cool.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

rickk

Looks perfect to me...

I just started a 2 holster set myself.

I did the right holster first, primarily with the intent of testing the pattern I made.  Rather than just slapping it together, I continued all the steps, including stamping, and finished it completely. I am glad I did that, as I saw a few things that I would not have realized had I not completed all the steps. For instance, where the stamping goes is somewhat obscured by the channel for the ejector shroud. One the left holster the shorud is hidden so it would not matter at all.

It's not too bad. I know there are several issues with it, but no one else does. The left holster hopefully will lack the issues I found when I made it, and maybe eventually I will remake the left one, but I am not in too much of a rush.

Also, last night I sat down to make a new pattern, making some minor adjustments to the original one. I traced the first pattern and then started staring at all the little things that I did not like about it, with the intent of tweeking the second pattern a bit.

Before I finished the second pattern I decided that I liked the prototype version with what I originally perceived as mistakes better than what I thought would be an improved pattern. In fact, after it sat for a couple days to let the dye level out I even liked the stamping location that I originally didn't think I liked.

Truthfully, most "mistakes" seem to only noticed by the maker.

KidTerico

You got a good start going. Keep them comming. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

"TwoWalks" Baldridge, you shouldn't have anything to feel bad about here, you did a wonderful job for your first holster, keep it up, the more you do the better it gets, not to mention you'll be hooked,  ::)

Thanks for sharing pard, we'll look forward to seeing more from you

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

TwoWalks Baldridge

TW and KT thanks.  I am hooked and will keep them coming.  I have 3 pattern packs from Will and am waiting now on his belt patterns. 

Rickk, this holster and what you are describing fits right in with the thread "Anyone else ever want to quietly ditch something you tried to make?"  Just goes to show that a person should never give up, those mistakes might actually make the piece.

Drayton Calhoun thanks for the kind words and the encouragement.

I actually like the color that Old English scratch cover gave the holster.  The down side, was it took 5 days for it too dry because of the amount of oil.

bedbugbilly

TwoWalks - don't be so hard on yourself - I think you did a fantastic job on it!  It looks great!  I've used Old English on a lot of things over the years - just never thought about using it on leather.  I really do like the color that it came out.  You were worried about your stitching - I think it looks fine!   Your border came out good too!  Borders are one thing that you'll be experimenting with for a long time. You should be very proud of it!  And trust me, every holster that you make after this will still be a learning experience - that's what makes it fun!

You comment on Old English reminded me of something I used for dye one time.  I was making a holster for one of my '51 Navies and in talking with a couple of different fellows who also did leatherwork, we got to wondering why MinWax stain wouldn't work - after all, it's oil base.  I volunteered to be the "guinea pig" - I wanted a "reddish" holster so I picked out the mahogany stain.  Over all, I had pretty good success with it.  It seemed to soak in well (I thought) but in the Arizona heat out here, it did dry quickly.  I put several coats on it and let it dry well and then used paste wax as a sealer on it.  It worked great but in a few months, when I was using the holster and belt (I made a matching belt for the holster as well), I did notice that when it got scraped, it almost looked like it "chipped" off.  Maybe the hot dry heat here dried it too quickly before it had a chance to really soak in - I'm not sure.  But, it is one more thing that a fella could experiment with further. The one nice thing on your holster is that if it gets scuffed up, all you have to do is "touch it up"  with the Old English and you're ready to go!

Keep up the great work and let us see lots of photos of what you're working on!  Enjoy! 

Marshal Will Wingam

TwoWalks, that's a fine holster. The stitch line looks good to me. The whole holster is good. Excellent for a first one, too. Congrats.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Johnny McCrae

Howdy TwoWalks,

I heartily second everyone's comments. You certainly do not have to hold your head down on this Holster. It is a very nice job especially for a first attempt. We look forward to seeing your future projects.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

TwoWalks Baldridge

bedbugbilly , Marshal Will Wingam and Johnny McCrae:  Thanks for the encouragement and the kind words.  As they say "we are our own worst critic".  That's the way it should be, it drives us to improve.

Hurt my wrist (symptom of old age) but really hope to get started on number two this next week.  This week I will design what is one it.

Wolf Tracker

I agree with everyone here, I think the holster turned out real nice. I think the color looks good it has an aged appearance.
A man, a horse, and a dog never get weary of each other's company.

amin ledbetter

The holster looks good pard! A great job, first one or not, it's a great job. You will often find that you will become your own worst critic when it comes to leather work. All of us trifle over our projects and find everything we did that was wrong. The important thing to realize is that you have the ability to see them, the average person does not. Then you will realize that those mistakes can be learned from. I think you found that out already as you pointed out in your post. All of that leads to perseverance friend. I can't wait to see your next one Pard. Keep em comin!     ;)

TwoWalks Baldridge

Wolf Tracker and Amin, thanks, this is a learning experience and a journey I am looking forward too.

Tallbald

A wonderful job my friend! My first is tucked away in a box in our garage. Hate to toss it but don't want to display it. Don

Holden A. Grudge

That holster looks great.  Is it really your first??  My first one is in one of my posts or other on here and doesn't look nearly as good.  I love the color. 

Aint this a great skill to keep working and improving.

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: Tallbald on February 25, 2011, 12:37:33 AM
A wonderful job my friend! My first is tucked away in a box in our garage. Hate to toss it but don't want to display it. Don
Thanks much appreciated.

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: Holden A. Grudge on February 25, 2011, 06:00:09 PM
That holster looks great.  Is it really your first??

My first holster as well as my first leather project other than making scrap with the use of a swivel knife.  ::)

QuoteMy first one is in one of my posts or other on here and doesn't look nearly as good.  I love the color. 

The color was a huge surprise but I can tell it is not going to hold onto the leather very well.

QuoteAint this a great skill to keep working and improving.

I am loving it that is for sure.  Tomorrow or Monday I will be working on number two. Oh yeah, almost forgot, will be making more scrap with that blamed swivel knife.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com