In need of a stock maker

Started by Paddy OFurniture, February 18, 2011, 09:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddy OFurniture

Good morning everyone.

I am in a quandry.  I have a great loooking old Stevens 12ga SXS shotgun in my shop for restoration.  This would be a very straight forward process were it not for the buttstock.  The butt stock is cracked 9 ways from Sunday in the wrist just behind the reciever.  At this time it is held together with brass pins but you can see the wood flex.  :(   Does anyone out there know either a stock maker or a wood worker who is willing to experiment?

Thanks
Paddy
Captian Paddy O'Furniture
Battery B
4th US Arty
Army Of Occupation
Piney Woods, Mississippi

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Have you tried gluing, my great Uncles SXS cracked in the same area, my Dad glued it back up and tied it real well while drying, and it's been fine ever since, and that was back in the 1940's since then I have had to glue two more stocks, and they are probably stronger than before the cracked. try gluing and wrapping, give the glue a couple weeks to cure before taking the wrap off, then you can sand it and put some new finish on it, this method works well, IMHO !!

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Paddy OFurniture

Ten Wolves,

Thank you very much for your reply.  However I think this one is beyond gluing.  Maybe epoxy but that is just a shot in the dark.  I think the wood is too soft to glue though.

Paddy
Battery B
4th US Arty
Army Of Occupation
Piney Woods, Mississippi

Major 2

If it's soft (or rotted) try this http://www.abatron.com/cms/buildingandrestorationproducts/woodrestorationmaintenance/liquidwood.html
It'a call Liquid Wood..and they make a filler to if peices are missing.

I isn't cheap but perhap cheaper than a custom stock 
when planets align...do the deal !

Paddy OFurniture

Major 2,

Thanks.  That woodepox may be the way to go.  This Stevens is older than the 311 and has rabbit ears on it. 

Paddy
Battery B
4th US Arty
Army Of Occupation
Piney Woods, Mississippi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com